Never played earthbound and I remember why now...

#51TaaronPosted 7/21/2013 3:06:52 PM
Evenglare posted...
Thanks for pointing me to the fact that you can change your control scheme. Now I don't have to deal with that abyssmal Lbutton nonsense. Everyone acts like it's the second coming because you can... eat while you play games? If it's so good why almost all RPGs NOT use that control scheme? It seems to me if it's the superior control scheme it would have taken hold of the genre.

Also, realistically how many of you read instruction manuals to learn the control scheme of a game, no specifically an RPG. I'd wager VERY few of you even if you act like you do for every single game you play. Anyway, I was wrong about not being able to deal with the L button, I can now that I have changed it to be the A button. But I still think it's a really REALLY ****y control scheme and am EXTREMELY happy that modern RPGs do not use it. Have a GREAT day and play what you LOVE! :3

As I young kid, you are right, I did not read the manual. However as a little kid I push all the buttons and learned very quickly what the L button did.

Game does inherit a lot from the Dragon Quest games in terms of battle animation and overall controls. It was and acceptable game design style at the time which was different than other JRPGs such as the final fantasy games.
---
Nothing wrong with a 40 year old man watching anime intended for 5 year old Japanese girls.
#52RetrowirePosted 7/21/2013 3:09:24 PM
Retrowire posted...
This topic was hilarious. Just saying.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628

If you haven't read the first 5 posts of this legendary thread, I recommend it now. Then proceed to read the rest.
---
I'm not a Nintendo Fanboy, I'm a Nintendo FANMAN.
#53Godstriker8Posted 7/21/2013 5:18:00 PM
I didn't figure it out till like half an hour in.. Do people really stand in front of NPC's in games and mash every button in hopes that it'll do something? And do people really read the instruction manual?
---
I'm just dickin aroouunnnd
SHAKE AND BAKE!
#54Some_StaticPosted 7/21/2013 5:22:52 PM
When I started this topic I was like, 'oh, someone's going to tell them it's the L button and then we can all just move on'.

Guess not.
---
It's not a JRPG until you kill a god. http://somestatic.tumblr.com
3DS Friend Code: 1075-1893-8704
#55GoombaXPosted 7/21/2013 5:33:50 PM
Tc is a prime example of why developers think we are stupid and dumb down everything.
---
3ds FC: 1891-1175-6647 My town: Termina
Currently Playing: MvC 2, AC:NL, Last of Us, MMX Collection, Ico hd Collection
#56MechaKoopa5000Posted 7/21/2013 5:36:40 PM
TC, now that you know it's the L button, why don't you just remap it to whatever button you want?
---
SSB4 roster: http://i.imgur.com/R84ZL2c.jpg
#57DTY3Posted 7/21/2013 6:06:33 PM
Evenglare posted...
So I should just accept crappy control schemes? Alright. Why not, everyone else seems to. I forgot this is the internet where I can't have my own opinion. This topic sure does reek of "STOP HATING WHAT I LIKE!!!!"
Carry on.

1. Remap the L button to the A button

2. Stop bawwing.
---
You know the gaming industry is **** when the biggest announcement is that a console can play used games and won't totally screw you over.