Is Nintendo capable of making a game with a great/emotional/serious story?

#31LightHawKnightPosted 7/21/2013 2:09:57 AM
CloudStrife630 posted...
LightHawKnight posted...
So many people have not played Mother 3. So sad.

It never came overseas...

So? There was a fan translation. A much anticipated fan translation. Also a very good fan translation.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#32Godstriker8Posted 7/21/2013 2:26:24 AM
I was going to suggest FE9, but you already appreciate it TC, good taste.
---
I'm just dickin aroouunnnd
SHAKE AND BAKE!
#33HitTheGroundWalPosted 7/21/2013 2:27:18 AM
PMD2.
---
It's supposed to be HitTheGroundWalking.
Bleach OC RP URL in quote-
#34UltimaGamer3000Posted 7/21/2013 2:30:35 AM
Wait, what?
Really, Fire Emblem is the closest you would get to a great story from what I have played. But is it just me, or are you somewhat of a ROBOT. Or maybe I love Fire Emblem SO FREAKING MUCH! =D
#35Dreamerboy99Posted 7/21/2013 2:41:25 AM
I haven't played a lot of Nintendo games, but I thought Paper Mario: TTYD had some emotional scenes ( especially when they played that sad music box tune ).

There is one side quest where an old lady asks you to find her old acting partner she always loved. After you find him, you later learn that he had always loved her back but left her because he felt like he would always hold her back from her career. You later decide if you should tell her that he still loves her or if he had forgotten her a long time ago.

But yeah, probably isn't as sad as fire emblem or Mother 3. I just thought it was really sad for a Mario game.
#36CloudStrife630Posted 7/21/2013 2:42:26 AM
LightHawKnight posted...
CloudStrife630 posted...
LightHawKnight posted...
So many people have not played Mother 3. So sad.

It never came overseas...

So? There was a fan translation. A much anticipated fan translation. Also a very good fan translation.

So what? The mass is supposed to know that? Not everybody is going to jump on some fan translation of a game compared to it coming out in retail. Since it would get advertising from Nintendo and commercials.

Please use your head
---
http://i.minus.com/iVTT7iHZ0KMgK.gif
http://i.minus.com/iYhUUsVGB6VbX.gif
#37SaviorGabrielPosted 7/21/2013 2:43:41 AM
Super Metroid managed to do all that, and didn't need any words beyond Samus' opening dialogue to tell you a story.
---
"I am defeated, and know it, if I meet any human being from whom I find myself unable to learn anything." --George Herbert Palmer
#38iKhanicPosted 7/21/2013 2:53:10 AM
Evilmonster posted...
Something that will make me feel sad or torn and hate the bad guy with everything I have in me. A game where I'm emotionally invested in the characters and story. Is Fire Emblem the closest? The stories never seemed to really stand out for me (Except the GC one, that one was awesome).

I think the closest series they have is Zelda, but I don't think fans would like seeing death in any way or form in Zelda.

And it doesn't even need to be a huge budget AAA title; EBA had me emotional with some of their songs, Deadly Premonition made me hate the bad guy and the story just needs to be dark and not so cliche.

Can they? Yes

Will they? Probably not

^^^^ I know this will be a prevailing answer... But are they actually capable? What games have they created that have this kind of story/chars?

There has always been death in the Zelda series. Links Uncle, Laruto, Fado, the Kakariko shop keeper, just to name a few.

Twilight Princess was very effective in doing what you described.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#39Lethal13Posted 7/21/2013 3:12:10 AM
Fire Emblem 9 and 7 if you play hector mode to get the full story

Zelda Wind Waker and Majora's Mask

Metroid Prime and Super Metroid

Even Mario Galaxy even though the majority hate Rosalina's stories for some bizarre reason

Xenoblade Chronicles
#40TG_WolfPosted 7/21/2013 3:18:07 AM
ToS

Doesn't get much better than that.
---
Official Madara Uchiha of all ExistenceOfficial Mu of UNS3 Board
Official Saberwulf of the Killer Instinct Board [Furry and Proud of it ^_^]