So, why is Other M canon and the Prime series not?

#1JirynPosted 7/22/2013 1:21:55 PM
Recently I had to replace my Prime Trilogy, the disc sadly didn't survive the 1000 mile move to my new home.

Anyways, the clerk mentioned how he was ticked off that Prime is not considered canon in the Metroid universe, and when I got home I looked up the info and sure enough... the Prime trilogy isn't canon but Other M is.

I really just don't get it.
Other M, while having some weird mechanics isn't a bad game except for story wise. The story really ruins Metroid lore and the entire Samus character to be honest.
All the "Strong Female Lead" she usually displays was stripped, almost forcibly from her in this.
---
Mewtwo_Soul: "You can't trust a smile from Sony, but you'd better watch your back after shaking Microsoft's hand."
#2The_BoredomsPosted 7/22/2013 1:22:43 PM
Probably racism.
---
I could care less.
#3Baha05Posted 7/22/2013 1:23:26 PM
Wait it's not canon?
---
"I will take the advice of PS3 over you, any day of the week. Especially, when you state that all aspect ratios are the same." Some Crazy Guy
#4VidgmchtrPosted 7/22/2013 1:23:51 PM
Funny, the Prime games are the only ones I HAVE enjoyed.
#5kingbadjoPosted 7/22/2013 1:25:03 PM
I may be slow... but what is canon?
---
I don't need violent videogames to reassure myself that I'm an adult.
#6Kromlech06Posted 7/22/2013 1:26:04 PM
Answer to topic: the writer has no idea what the hell he is doing. At all. Happens to the best of series.
---
3DS FC: 2277-6801-3957
#7Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 7/22/2013 1:27:30 PM(edited)
kingbadjo posted...

Canon means what is officially accepted and what is not in lore.
Meaning the Other M game is officially recognized as part of the Metroid franchise and story line, while Prime is not considered an official part of the story/series.
---
Mewtwo_Soul: "You can't trust a smile from Sony, but you'd better watch your back after shaking Microsoft's hand."
#8cucumberkingPosted 7/22/2013 1:26:31 PM
I prefer Other M Samus. I actually cared about Samus for the first time in the dreadful series. Other M was a highlight in an otherwise over rated bore fest imo. Not knocking anyone who enjoys Metroid, but the traditional Metroid game is not worth my time.
---
Youtube: MilkmanYeti PSN Milkmanyeti or ThePantsCougar NintendoID: Milkmanyeti
#9Baha05Posted 7/22/2013 1:27:45 PM
kingbadjo posted...

It means connections to a series universe. Like Fallout 3 and New Vegas are canon within their universe.
---
"I will take the advice of PS3 over you, any day of the week. Especially, when you state that all aspect ratios are the same." Some Crazy Guy
#10freezemanPosted 7/22/2013 1:28:30 PM
kingbadjo posted...

Canon refers to being part of a true storyline, as per the creators.

So for instance, a game might have three playable characters, each with their own endings. However, usually only 1 character's ending is the true, real (canon) ending.

So in this case, Metroid Prime is not considered a true part of the Metroid lore. However, Other M apparently is.
---
"The car in my battery died??? wtf" - Richie259