How come it takes so long for 1st Party Nintendo games to drop in price?

#1Hector_SassPosted 7/22/2013 11:40:52 PM
Just yesterday I went into EB games and had a look at their pre owned games and found Super Mario Galaxy 2 for 60 bucks, 60!! Why does it take so long to drop? At it's release it was 100$ like most first party games here, even places like JB Hifi which usually give you a decent deal had it at like 95$ that's like 10$ for every year it's been out, Skyrim is like 30 bucks and that was for a retail copy!!

Can anyone explain this to me, even my girlfriend who has a little knowledge of games still thought it was ridiculous.

Also if the prices sound high it's because we get charged stupid prices for our games here in Australia.
---
Only two or three shots, I'ma show you how to turn it up another notch
Because after I made it, I played it and its fun Shigeru Miyamoto
#2Baha05Posted 7/22/2013 11:42:08 PM
Because Nintendo games sell.
---
"I will take the advice of PS3 over you, any day of the week. Especially, when you state that all aspect ratios are the same." Some Crazy Guy
#3ImGanondorfLolPosted 7/22/2013 11:45:04 PM
In the US?.. How the heck can SMG 2 cost $60? Wii games are $50 max, it's abundant, and it's used... wat.
#4uberking422Posted 7/22/2013 11:48:11 PM
Because they don't operate on the business model of "Pump as much money as possible into every single game we release, then make sure we sell 10 million copies in the first two weeks or we'll go bankrupt". Due to being budget conscious about even their highest profile releases, they can make back their budget more easily, and aren't forced to rush to get everything off of the shelves ASAP.
#5FFXIgaiaknightPosted 7/22/2013 11:52:03 PM
because there big titles have legs and usually continue to sell years after they released,
---
3DS FC: 4124-5007-1536
NNI: Gaiaknight
#6CasualGamersPosted 7/22/2013 11:52:47 PM
Hector_Sass posted...
Just yesterday I went into EB games and had a look at their pre owned games and found Super Mario Galaxy 2 for 60 bucks, 60!! Why does it take so long to drop? At it's release it was 100$ like most first party games here, even places like JB Hifi which usually give you a decent deal had it at like 95$ that's like 10$ for every year it's been out, Skyrim is like 30 bucks and that was for a retail copy!!

Can anyone explain this to me, even my girlfriend who has a little knowledge of games still thought it was ridiculous.

Also if the prices sound high it's because we get charged stupid prices for our games here in Australia.

pff. Isn't a job at mcdonalds pay like $20 an hour down under?

nintendo games can demand that kind of premium because demand is so high. It is like apple products.
#7mikebrand83Posted 7/22/2013 11:56:40 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8MarblesbunbunPosted 7/22/2013 11:57:53 PM
Simply put, Nintendo games are quality games.
They have fun, replayability and an almost timeless quality.

People STILL buy their games years after they have been releases, unlike cutting edge games where a year later they are all but forgotten.

Nintendo games also seem to have a lower trade in ratio, because of the above qualities. People do still trade them in but not as fast as say Call of Duty for the next CoD game. They also don't rush to make yearly installments of their franchises.
---
Mewtwo_Soul: "You can't trust a smile from Sony, but you'd better watch your back after shaking Microsoft's hand."
#9Shadowbird_RHPosted 7/23/2013 12:02:07 AM
It's a better business model to inspire your customers to buy your products before they go up in price than it is to encourage them to wait for your products to go down in price.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#10mikebrand83Posted 7/23/2013 12:03:52 AM(edited)
ImGanondorfLol posted...
In the US?.. How the heck can SMG 2 cost $60? Wii games are $50 max, it's abundant, and it's used... wat.

JB Hi-Fi and EB games are Australian stores (the latter being the local business name for GameStop [correction: rather, Australia being one of the countries where EB games kept using that name, even after the takeover/merger by GameStop]).

... And Australian game prices tends to be pretty f'ed up, totally disproportionate to exchange rates (currently 1 AUD = 0.926 USD, but was still f'ed up back when it was 1 AUD = 1+ USD).