Apparently, Nintendo Is Refusing Japanese Indie Developers

#1Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 7/23/2013 7:39:39 AM
http://kotaku.com/apparently-nintendo-is-refusing-japanese-indie-develop-877747113

Japan has a small, yet thriving indie game community. But does Nintendo want any part of it?

Nintendo is trying to be more welcoming towards indie games than it has been in the past. At this year's Game Developers Conference, Nintendo revealed Unity for Wii U and Nintendo Web Framework. These tools should make the Wii U more developer-friendly. It also is opening up the Wii U to independently developed titles by sending out free development kits to indie developers (at least, according to the creator of Retro City Rampage). Good news for the indie game community!

That is, unless you are a Japanese indie game developer, apparently. While GDC was this past March, Japanese game developers are just now finding out about a curious policy Nintendo has.

This is a questionnaire from GDC that is currently making the rounds on Twitter in Japan. It says in both Japanese and English: "We are not accepting applications from developers located in Japan at this time." It's unknown if this policy has changed.

The policy is mystifying many members of the country's indie community. "Why, Nintendo, is 'only Japan' excluded from individual registration?" asked Japanese indie dev Toshirou Takahashi.

"Seeing 'No Japs' written on an international-looking website is such a terrible sight that it makes me weep," tweeted a Japanese developer from indie group Studio Rice Cake. Obviously, Nintendo didn't write in such tinged language and the developer seems to be making the point that this is discriminatory.

That same developer said that at this year's GDC, there was lots of interest among Japanese developers in attendance and many of them applied, unaware of any sort of restrictions. But about a half a month later, there was a strange email that said something to the effect that it was difficult to support indie developers living in Japan, so this dev kit offer wouldn't work out.

Android app developer Tatsuo Nagamatsu pointed out on Twitter that Nintendo's refusal to work with indie developers seems to be supposedly related to the company's Wii U software policy, which apparently states Nintendo exclusively works with software selling entities (read: "publishers") and not individuals. This policy, perhaps, seems to be designed to protect Nintendo's second- and third-party partners.

Meanwhile on 2ch, Japan's largest forum, some called the decision "discrimination", while there were also snide remarks that this rule was to prevent "creepy otaku" from making erotic games for the Wii U. Others on 2ch and Twitter mentioned how the whole situation seemed cruel and showed a narrowing of options for indie game makers in Japan.

There is another possibility: Nintendo could be rolling out a different development program for Japan and Japanese indie developers. If so, this hasn't exactly been motivational.

Kotaku reached out to Nintendo for comment and clarification, but did not hear back before publication.

1 step forward, and 2 steps back Nintendo. Your fanboys will no doubt come to your defense with bizarre rationalizations, but I'm sure that actions like this are making you lose a good amount of support.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17oodar3kvfbjjpg/original.jpg
#2kingbadjoPosted 7/23/2013 7:43:32 AM
Hey your back! haven't seen you for a while, ever since pikmin improved wiiu sales. Doing damage control?
---
I don't need violent videogames to reassure myself that I'm an adult.
#3BeanBeanKingdomPosted 7/23/2013 7:46:47 AM
Having to link to Kotaku shows in what dire condition you are these days, man.
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#4SyCo_VeNoMPosted 7/23/2013 7:47:20 AM
Nintendo doesn't like games that involve tentacles, and 15 year old girls obviously.

Seriously though no clue, maybe they are scared about how many thousand hentai games would get submitted per day.
#5Nice_Kirbyfan9(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2013 7:47:39 AM
Hey your back! haven't seen you for a while, ever since pikmin improved wiiu sales. Doing damage control?

I post periodically. Are the fanboys using pikmin sales as some sort of barrier to block themselves from having to read about potentially disappointing Wii U news?
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
#6Nice_Kirbyfan9(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2013 7:48:56 AM

So rather than refute the article that has Nintendos official questioanairre, you try to discredit the source?From: Nice_Kirbyfan9 | #001
Your fanboys will no doubt come to your defense with bizarre rationalizations,

---
#7kingbadjoPosted 7/23/2013 7:58:07 AM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...

So rather than refute the article that has Nintendos official questioanairre, you try to discredit the source?From: Nice_Kirbyfan9 | #001
Your fanboys will no doubt come to your defense with bizarre rationalizations,

Dude... You have a reputation here. We all know that there is no point in refuting anything you believe. There is no point :/ But it's cool I'll go along..

KIRBY YOU TROLL YOU LIE!!! UGHRKBJ! NINTENDO IS THE AWESOMEST!VJHV
---
#8kingbadjoPosted 7/23/2013 8:01:18 AM
But maybe if you make an alt account you'll get more of the reactions you're looking for.
---
#9Nice_Kirbyfan9(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2013 8:02:15 AM
this is not what I believe. This is simply me showing what Nintendo has actually done.
---
#10Neo_HeartlessPosted 7/23/2013 8:02:34 AM
Nice_Kirbyfan9 posted...

I post periodically. Are the fanboys using pikmin sales as some sort of barrier to block themselves from having to read about potentially disappointing Wii U news?

You only ever post disappointing WiiU news, that's why people react as they do. Don't pretend you don't enjoy it.

As for your article, it is interesting, but we don't know the whole story. Only Nintendo can say why they don't want Japanese Indie developers. Maybe they're worried about Ero games. Maybe they want to appeal more to western developers. Until they say, it's all speculation.

I will say though, a little quality control isn't a bad thing. Have you seen some of the games on XBLA? You have to be open though, since this is what happens when you don't explain your motives.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]