Why is Super Smash Bros so popular?

#11pikachupwnagePosted 7/23/2013 8:08:06 AM
Terotrous posted...
Most fighting games are hideously unbalanced, and balance is rarely a significant factor in how popular a game is.

These are the two main reasons Smash Bros is so popular:

- It has a roster of highly recognizable and iconic mascot characters
- It's very accessible and easy to learn

Yup. SF4 for example is often "HADOUKEN HADOUKEN HADOUKEN HADOUKEN HADOUKEN"
---
Now with PREPOSTEROUS AMOUNTS OF TESTOSTERONE! PREPOSTERONE!
#12Neo_HeartlessPosted 7/23/2013 8:14:07 AM
Mecha Sonic posted...
kuragari1anonly posted...
Its a fun game.

First post may as well have been nt.

What makes it more fun than other fighters that aren't as flawed?

ITT: Fun is a quantitative value that only exists on one axis.

To go into more depth, they are different kinds of fun. Fighters that aren't as "flawed" as you say, are built around the heavy competitive element between two individuals.

Smash brothers is built around the manic competitive element between groups of people. This is why the game doesn't hold up as a 1v1 fighter. It's not supposed to, so please stop comparing it to Street Fighter.
---
[Wubeth Intensifies]
#13Tsutarja495Posted 7/23/2013 8:28:15 AM
It's a fanservice game by virtue of being a crossover. Franchises like Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, and so on are very popular in their own right, and this brings them together.
---
I'm not a gamer, I'm a Nintendrone. Here's proof I live to serve Nintendo:
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee371/Anonymous987654321/HNI_0030.jpg
#14Oni_TaedoPosted 7/23/2013 8:53:36 AM
Mario bludgeoning Peach with a sledge hammer, while Kirby is driving a flying machine 6 inches deep into Donkey Kong's sternum.
While a crowd of computerized voices demand for you to appease their lust for blood and violence.

I'll give that a moment to sink in how awesome that is.
---
TvC Friend Code: 4598-2098-0537
PSN ID: Oni_Ishida
#15DTY3Posted 7/23/2013 8:54:34 AM
Because its a fun game.
Shocker, I know.
---
You know the gaming industry is **** when the biggest announcement is that a console can play used games and won't totally screw you over.
#16ChokusetsuPosted 7/23/2013 8:56:08 AM
I don't care for balance in Smash Bros. Items and stages turn into a fun chaos. And I don't try to play the game seriously like Melee fanboys do.
---
De arimasu
#17CHAINMAILLEKIDPosted 7/23/2013 8:59:31 AM
Players place characters into tiers, not because the game isn't balanced, but because thats just what they do.
---
NS_CHAIN 2666-2862-7656
#18DarthLaharlPosted 7/23/2013 9:03:06 AM
TheGreatUnown posted...
It's Nintendo characters beating the crap out of each other.

/topic

The fact that the topic didn't end with this post or that the TC didn't come to this conclusion on his/her own baffles me.
---
PSN: Unretributed
#19GoldenJoe24Posted 7/23/2013 9:20:46 AM
Because balance isn't gods gift to multiplayer games. Why do you think Mario Kart is so popular?
#20R_HunterPosted 7/23/2013 9:29:28 AM
Oni_Taedo posted...
Mario bludgeoning Peach with a sledge hammer, while Kirby is driving a flying machine 6 inches deep into Donkey Kong's sternum.
While a crowd of computerized voices demand for you to appease their lust for blood and violence.

I'll give that a moment to sink in how awesome that is.

You forgot Wario sending Samus and Fox into orbit by virtue of eating at Taco Bell.

TC it's fun. Also it's the physical manifestation of what kids do.

"Mario can totally beat Link!"
"Nuh-uh! Link would skewer him!"

With Smash you can put these questions to the test, and have a riot while doing so.
---
To be fair, the overall plot of the MGS series sounds like it was written by a 7 year old on amphetamines.-CrystalKing5426
Official Xion of the KHIII Board