Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the second worst selling 3D Mario game

#51pokemega32Posted 7/28/2013 8:26:55 AM
Freakinduck posted...
I think 3D Land was by far the worst 3D Mario game. It was extremely lazy and relied way too much on the 3D gimmick. SMG 2 was not the best, but it probably did not sell because it was the first time a 3D game got a direct sequel. I know that I was disappointed when I heard it was going to be another galaxy game. I loved SMG, but SMG 2 was uninspired and felt like one big DLC bundle for SMG. 3D World looks a lot more promising than 3D Land did, but I know it will not even touch SM 64, Sunshine, and SMG.

Now that Nintendo is in HD, I would not mind seeing a sequel to Sunshine. There is so much more they could do with that game.

So Galaxy 2 is lame and uninspired, but you want a Sunshine sequel?

And how did 3D Land rely on the 3D gimmick?
---
When life gives you melons, you know you're dyslexic.
#52segagamerPosted 7/28/2013 8:39:23 AM
Nobody talks about Mario 64? That game has the largest move set for Mario, and has insane speed. :P
#53deathwave21Posted 7/28/2013 8:54:44 AM
Rayze_Darr posted...
I feel like I'm in such a massive minority here. Galaxy was an amazing game, but it was also a huge disappointment for me. I hate not having a hub world to explore (just a tiny Face Ship) and I hate how we get tons of linear worlds instead of a good handful of more open ones.

Super Mario Sunshine is the greatest Mario game ever made, in my personal opinion. I'm honestly shocked to be seeing how many people honestly don't like it. The Galaxy games are just way too linear, face-paced, and restrictive for me. I love entering a world multiple times to see how it changes as I collect more Stars (or Shine Sprites), and I love the freedom to explore my surroundings to my heart's content. I've spent hours on end just running around Bianco Square, spraying and jumping off of the Piantas, and I've spent so much time in the game's worlds just exploring and staring at the beautiful scenery.

I'm extremely sad that we'll never get another true 3D Mario game. Super Mario Galaxy is, from my point of view, closer to Super Mario 3D Land than it is to Super Mario 64 or Super Mario Sunshine, and I think it's safe to say that 3D Land and the upcoming 3D World have started yet another new formula for 3D Mario games which drifts even farther from the two games that I truly loved.

Sunshine had loads of potential, but may have failed for many different reasons. Here are a few:

1) SM64. That game was amazing for its time. It raised the bar so high for a sequel that it wouldn't be met until Galaxy

2) The small user base. Does anybody know the attach rate for SMS?

3) Change. Change is not good with perfection. Look at SMB, then look at SMB2. SMB3 was able to top the original, bc it didn't change the formula; but instead expanded it. SMB3 suffered in sales only bc it was not included with the console like SMW was. World was great, but only topped SMB3 graphically. Sunshine changed the formula from 64; by dropping the small hub, the 15 World setup, Bowser worlds, and the variety. Guess what Galaxy did?
---
Do you want to go to college for free? Go Marines!
#54MilesTeg420(Topic Creator)Posted 7/28/2013 8:58:59 AM
Attach rate for Sunshine IIRC is around 4:1
#55Luigi4PresidentPosted 7/28/2013 9:08:10 AM
Sunshine was good too, none of them are really bad.
---
Everytime I find the key to success, somebody changes the locks.
You guys are a riot a minute!
#56Waluigi1Posted 7/28/2013 12:43:05 PM
deathwave21 posted...
Sunshine had loads of potential, but may have failed for many different reasons. Here are a few:

1) SM64. That game was amazing for its time. It raised the bar so high for a sequel that it wouldn't be met until Galaxy

2) The small user base. Does anybody know the attach rate for SMS?

3) Change. Change is not good with perfection. Look at SMB, then look at SMB2. SMB3 was able to top the original, bc it didn't change the formula; but instead expanded it. SMB3 suffered in sales only bc it was not included with the console like SMW was. World was great, but only topped SMB3 graphically. Sunshine changed the formula from 64; by dropping the small hub, the 15 World setup, Bowser worlds, and the variety. Guess what Galaxy did?

And World didn't expand in every way on SMB3?
---
PSO is teh best!