Least Favorite Console per Generation?

#21manmousePosted 7/29/2013 12:52:51 AM
kdognumba1 posted...
manmouse posted...
Third Gen: Atari 7600, the only one that doesn't have any games i care about playing

Fourth Gen: probably CD-i or something. i love Genesis and SNES, but all i know about CD-i is those awful Zeldas

Fifth Gen: Atari Jaguar, what a sad little console...

Sixth Gen: tough choice between Xbox and Gamecube, but Xbox did have some cooler stuff like Panzer Dragoon Orta, Morrowind, Shenmue 2, Jet Set Radio Future, whereas aside from Mario Kart, Sunshine, and LoZ:WW, my favorite GC games are Dreamcast ports. so Gamecube takes the title for least favorite.

Seventh Gen: Xbox 360. those red rings of death, and it just has the fewest games i liked. plus it birthed a gaming culture i dislike.

Just thought I should note that 2 of the games you listed for Xbox are also Dreamcast ports like several GC games.

Jet Grind Radio was on Dreamcast, Jet Set Radio Future was a sequel exclusive to Xbox, not a port of a Dreamcast game.

and Shenmue 2 is half true, since in Japan the DC got it, but in the US, it was an Xbox exclusive. unless you import games and can put up with only reading Japanese text, if you live in America the only way to play it is Xbox.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#22EchixirPosted 7/29/2013 1:12:39 AM
Third Gen: No comment, only played NES
Fourth Gen: CD-i
Fifth Gen: Jaguar
Sixth Gen: Xbox
Seventh Gen: Xbox 360
Eighth Gen Prediction: XBone
---
I can haz 5:11 tiem nao plz?
NNID: Saxxor
#23Pac12345Posted 7/29/2013 1:18:53 AM
Am I wrong for disliking the PS2? It's the only console I have disliked so far. I even enjoy the CD-I ; Makes me laugh every time.
#24manmousePosted 7/29/2013 1:35:33 AM
Pac12345 posted...
Am I wrong for disliking the PS2? It's the only console I have disliked so far. I even enjoy the CD-I ; Makes me laugh every time.

i dunno, i feel it's a hard console to dislike, since it has literally the most diverse and expansive game library of all time, so there's something for everyone.

but its downsides do often go ignored. only having 2 controller ports in the 6th generation (unless you pay extra for the 4 port add on) is completely ridiculous.

plus its the weakest console of its gen, which i don't mind at all, but it's certainly not a positive thing.

and its design is a bit odd. the power switch is on the back, so despite its streamlined design meant to fit in any tight place (which is a HUGE plus), that kinda gets nixed by the fact that you can't put it anywhere that's so tight that your hand can't fit around to the backside. the slim model fixed that at least. and technically you could still turn it to standby/sleep from the front anyway, but the method was a bit odd, considering you had to hold the reset button, and since nobody would ever think to hold the reset button, most people didn't even know that was possible.

but yeah, design-wise, it was extremely flawed. but as far as the game library, i can't think of any negative things to say. it had everything.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#25Pac12345Posted 7/29/2013 1:53:03 AM
manmouse posted...
Pac12345 posted...

i dunno, i feel it's a hard console to dislike, since it has literally the most diverse and expansive game library of all time, so there's something for everyone.

but its downsides do often go ignored. only having 2 controller ports in the 6th generation (unless you pay extra for the 4 port add on) is completely ridiculous.

plus its the weakest console of its gen, which i don't mind at all, but it's certainly not a positive thing.

and its design is a bit odd. the power switch is on the back, so despite its streamlined design meant to fit in any tight place (which is a HUGE plus), that kinda gets nixed by the fact that you can't put it anywhere that's so tight that your hand can't fit around to the backside. the slim model fixed that at least. and technically you could still turn it to standby/sleep from the front anyway, but the method was a bit odd, considering you had to hold the reset button, and since nobody would ever think to hold the reset button, most people didn't even know that was possible.

but yeah, design-wise, it was extremely flawed. but as far as the game library, i can't think of any negative things to say. it had everything.

I know I'm in the minority here. I absolutely loved my PS1 (Marvel V.S. Capcom and Megaman X4 will always have a special place in my heart), I was OK with the PS3, but I can't stand the PS2. I dislike everything from it; The design, the games, the awful noise it makes while starting, the tray, etc.

The worse console in my humble opinion.
#26LordBowserPosted 7/29/2013 2:39:51 AM(edited)
I am basing these systems on how they were able to cater to what gaming, as I feel, needed and to their business practices (not merely how much money they made, but how they were able to make it).

For instance, I rated Xbox 360 as worst despite having better sales than the PS3 because I feel Microsoft is just dishing out garbage, making backroom deals to artificially try to get ahead (Early Skyrim DLC, for instance), and by the end had barely any exclusives at all. PS3 had a rough start, but they gained steam before the end, and catered to their playerbase appropriately.

Either way, this is a long, detailed post. If you just want to see what I felt was worst without any explanation, just refer to what's bolded.

3rd/: NES was the only system I played, and I was born during this generation, meaning I did not start gaming until 4th gen. If I looked back on it now and that counts, and we are only mentioning consoles that we actually know enough about to care about, Sega Master System. It only had one game I care about, Phantasy Star.

4th: Applying the above and ignoring consoles that were so bad that they were irrelevant, Sega Genesis was slightly worse than the SNES. They were both pretty fantastic though, and fully worthy of praise. Calling one out as 'the worst' feels wrong, but SNES is by far the victor. This generation, my friend, was the golden age of gaming. If you missed it, feel awful, then visit it as best as you can by playing classic games.

5th: Out of the only 3 I cared about and actually mattered, Sega Saturn. This was the beginning of the end for Sega, sadly. Saturn was spectacularly bad. N64 and PS1 were amazing, though for different reasons.

6th: I loved the Dreamcast but I feel it did poorly because it simply couldn't keep the attention of gamers, had somewhat weak exclusives, and interpreted the market poorly despite being the first system with online gaming. PS2 was very diverse to gaming and provided some great games. Xbox was new, but offered creative new ideas and entered the console arena on a good note, Gamecube was actually rather poor -- and for that reason I think Nintendo made a great decision when they moved on to the Wii which focused on innovation instead of trying to compete with generic consoles.

7th: Wii was best by miles and miles. I never tried the PS3, but it appears to have been a great system, just massively overpriced with a weak start. Xbox 360, no longer the humble newcomers to the gaming market, milked everything they could for maximum profits. Instead of being concerned with what consumers wanted, they concerned themselves exclusively with what made them the most money, where both coincided with eachother being the only times they appealed to gamers. Wii had an incredible library, an original look on gaming, and appealed to a vast crowd of people who were not even gamers, causing many who were not to actually become gamers.

8th: Based off of the last generation, I expect Wii U to be the best (in my opinion), but Sony appears to have learned from their mistakes and are playing the market well. They are likely to be extremely successful, and may even eclipse Nintendo in sales this generation. Xboned, on the other hand, has Microsoft being extremely sure of themselves and thinking people will eat up any s*** they dish out. We'll soon find out if this is true, I hope that this is a valuable learning experience for Microsoft.
---
I am Lord Bowser, King of the Koopas! Bwahaha..
Playing Bowser on Mario Kart, and Noxus on Metroid Prime. I am not a cookie cutter!
#27NeoSamuelPosted 7/29/2013 2:25:50 AM
Least Favorites

Third Gen: Atari 7600
Fourth Gen: TurboGrafx-16 (CD-i at least had the Memes)
Fifth Gen: 3DO and Jaguar were both worthless
Sixth Gen: Xbox
Seventh Gen: PS3
---
I am the Black Mage! I casts the spells that makes the peoples fall down!