Earthbound is so charming... but pretty hard *potential spoilers*

#11ChokusetsuPosted 7/23/2013 10:12:23 PM
I thought moonside was worse since it's a pain to go through. If you get lost you will engange a lot of unecessary battles...
---
De arimasu
#12DKU_ArichPosted 7/23/2013 10:34:24 PM
Nobody mentioned the zombie tunnel behind Threed (or better said, the journey from Threed to Saturn Valley)?
#13Killingjoke_666Posted 7/23/2013 10:47:03 PM
You gotta grind, I kept on losing until I did that. Thats what I hate about RPGS is the level grinding. But this isnt that bad I like the first person and it isnt tedious and boring as much. Plus when you get overpowered you dont have to fight the enemies they just zap away. Mario RPG was another game I didnt mind grinding.

Dont forget to level up your weapons armor accessories etc.
---
Otto: Wow! I had Mustard?!
#14NovaLevossidaPosted 7/23/2013 11:12:37 PM
I don't mind the areas too much, but seriously, screw Carbon Dog / Diamond Dog. What an ass.
---
I criticize Nintendo because I love her. I want her to stand as a technical example to the world. - Martin Luther King, Jr
#15Amazing AmpharosPosted 7/23/2013 11:54:30 PM
You don't really need to grind, especially once Paula joins and the game becomes much easier. Just make sure Paula stays alive and gets exp, and be sure to make use of your growing arsenal of PSI. Paula's stuff hits very hard, and Ness can inflict a lot of useful status in the right fights (flash is actually good at higher levels, paralysis is a virtual instant death move on many enemies, etc.). Soon you're going to get the third character (only one boss fight in-between Paula and the third character), and while he seems weak at first, he's by far the most powerful character in the game as the items only he can use are just absurdly good and effectively let you convert your plentiful money supply into fast kills on bosses while mobs go down easier and easier to your party's PSI as the game goes on. As far as jRPGs are concerned, yeah EarthBound's early game is a bit rough, but if you have Paula, you're already past the hardest part and it becomes a very easy game from here on out if you use your resources effectively.

I will say that is a general rule to jRPGs. You never really have to level grind; you can always use better tactics and set-ups instead. Think about how you can use all the moves your characters learn, think about what various pieces of equipment could do for you, think about what all the different items do and what you are carrying, and think about the unique mechanics of the game and how you can use them to your advantage (EB has a big one: you should be exploiting rolling HP). I'll admit that some bad jRPGs aren't quite so generous, but EarthBound is certainly a game that can be beaten with zero grinding. If you want to grind, you can and it makes the game much easier, but you should understand that it's not required.
#16Retroxgamer0Posted 7/23/2013 11:57:59 PM
you should grind for the first time before the fight with the large oak trees when youre heading towards rescueing paula
#17CrystalKing5426Posted 7/24/2013 8:45:52 AM
DKU_Arich posted...
Nobody mentioned the zombie tunnel behind Threed (or better said, the journey from Threed to Saturn Valley)?

Honestly not that bad. The tight corridors pretty much force every encounter, but the enemies themselves are manageable.
---
Other M is the One More Day of Metroid
Evil King of the Zelda Wii U Board
#18CrystalKing5426Posted 7/24/2013 9:14:18 AM
Retroxgamer0 posted...
you should grind for the first time before the fight with the large oak trees when youre heading towards rescueing paula

Best to avoid them. They move slowly, so it's possible to run past them.
---
Other M is the One More Day of Metroid
Evil King of the Zelda Wii U Board