Miyamoto hates stories? His new wii U ip will no story?

#11john_the_IIIPosted 7/24/2013 1:02:46 PM
thefabregas22 posted...
john_the_III posted...
ps4gigolo1999 posted...
john_the_III posted...
Have you seen sticker star tc?

Yes, great game!

Did you hear about how miyamoto didn't want the game to have a story or new characters?

did you hear how it's a handheld game so people switch it up to suit handheld experiences?

Don't play the handheld card, portability isn't a valid excuse for it to not have a story, the Mario and luigi games all have stories, hell superstar saga was a freaking gba game
#12ps4gigolo1999(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2013 1:08:46 PM
RockD79 posted...
ps4gigolo1999 posted...
RockD79 posted...
He doesn't hate stories. He just prefers shorter, simple stories. He doesn't want the user to get confused.

source

Said it years ago. During the transition from cartridge to CD. FMV era.

He was right.
#13Emerald_MeliosPosted 7/24/2013 1:11:17 PM
Sticker Star did have a story, albeit a minimalistic one.
#14arvilinoPosted 7/24/2013 1:14:38 PM(edited)
john_the_III posted...
thefabregas22 posted...
john_the_III posted...
ps4gigolo1999 posted...
john_the_III posted...
Have you seen sticker star tc?

Yes, great game!

Did you hear about how miyamoto didn't want the game to have a story or new characters?

did you hear how it's a handheld game so people switch it up to suit handheld experiences?

Don't play the handheld card, portability isn't a valid excuse for it to not have a story, the Mario and luigi games all have stories, hell superstar saga was a freaking gba game

It had a story but not much more than Sticker Star, which did indeed have a story as well. Note in Super Star Saga how story relevant events are separated by relatively long stretches of game play and remember the tutorial dialogues aren't story.

Miyamoto just happens to value gameplay and mechanics more than narrative which just so happens to coincide with how pick up and play games work best on handhelds.
#15MilesTeg420Posted 7/24/2013 1:17:26 PM
Someone has to say it; Sticker Star sucked. It was the least accessible entry in the series. It was a bad game.
#16muffinmasherPosted 7/24/2013 1:21:56 PM
BAtenDiddy posted...
It's very possible for a video game to have a good story but it is very difficult and caters only to certain people's tastes. I don't believe there has been a video game where the story became such a classic that it was considered the "Lord of the Rings" of video games.

Although probably not the best example, some people consider Mass Effect to have incredible storytelling power.
I'd say it sort of fits.
---
3DS FC: 0173-1320-7190
"Barkley: Shut up and jam! Gaiden" Is the best RPG of all time.
#17Tsutarja495Posted 7/24/2013 1:27:08 PM
Look at how he comes up with stuff. Gameplay comes first, then he picks a character. If something existing fits already, he will just stick it with an existing character (usually Mario). He only makes new IPs when he doesn't think the gameplay will fit any existing Nintendo characters, for example: Pikmin and Wii Fit. So story would obviously be an afterthought if there is any.
---
I'm not a gamer, I'm a Nintendrone. Here's proof I live to serve Nintendo:
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee371/Anonymous987654321/HNI_0030.jpg
#18ps4gigolo1999(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2013 1:29:20 PM
muffinmasher posted...
BAtenDiddy posted...
It's very possible for a video game to have a good story but it is very difficult and caters only to certain people's tastes. I don't believe there has been a video game where the story became such a classic that it was considered the "Lord of the Rings" of video games.

Although probably not the best example, some people consider Mass Effect to have incredible storytelling power.
I'd say it sort of fits.

'incredible'?

Mass effect 1 was ok. It worked well.
Mass effect 2 had a terrible story...
I have yet to start 3, but lol at the ending fiasco.
#19CyricsServantPosted 7/24/2013 2:01:31 PM
ps4gigolo1999 posted...
2. Is it even possible for video games to have a GOOD story?

Yes.

You're welcome.
#20SegavsCapcomPosted 7/24/2013 2:12:40 PM
1. Miyamoto doesn't "hate" stories. He believes that story should take a backseat to gameplay. He is a designer, not a storyteller.

2. Depends on what you think "good stories" are. Are they stories with strong characters, a complex plot, a deep lore, or a combination of the three? In my opinion, there are several games with great stories. The Metal Gear series, the Paper Mario series (bar Sticker Star), several RPGS (Western and Japanese); all have good, well told stories.
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.