Any games that are just as good as the Nintendo classics that inspired them?

#1CyricsServantPosted 7/26/2013 3:47:00 PM
Just wanted to know if anyone has played any non-Nintendo "rip-off" or "homage" games they consider to be almost as good, just as good, or better than their Nintendo counterparts.

I played Anodyne on STEAM recently and I was just floored. While it's not quite as good as the 2d Zelda games that inspired it, it's pretty damn close imo. Aesthetics and story are its strong points, but the short play time (i.e. about 5 hours) and the lack of dungeon items make the combat and puzzles less engaging than they could be.

The other game that comes to mind is Super Meat Boy, though that obviously plays very differently than Mario. I'd actually go so far as to say Super Meat Boy is my favorite platformer in years, and that it's a lot better than the recent New Super Mario Bros. games . . . but that's just me.
#2NovaLevossidaPosted 7/26/2013 3:53:21 PM(edited)
If you want something that feels old, there's always New Super Mario Bros. I can't fault it for being what it is, as it's not a bad game; it's just more of the same, and after playing so many platformers, I've become rather indifferent to the NSMB series as it's so similar to what has come before.

If you'd like something wildly different and also good, there's Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams, a series which started off as a copy of the NES Mario game and with Twisted Dreams has done much more innovation than any of the past 2D Mario titles. I can't recommend that game enough.

Edit: clarity
---
-C- GET EQUIPPED WITH: [ ] KLOBB [ ] BFG
[ ] METAL BLADE [X] CUTSCENE MURDER PISTOL
#3splodeymissilePosted 7/26/2013 3:52:47 PM
Hmmmmm, would Darksiders being similar to Zelda count? Because I consider them to be on equal footing.
---
One can not help but imagine Microsoft as being ran by a thousand Homer Simpsons. -Obturator
#4CyricsServant(Topic Creator)Posted 7/26/2013 4:12:21 PM
Yep, definitely. It's one of the few Zelda inspired action-adventures that released this gen. I'm not a huge fan, but I know many are.
#5P-APEPosted 7/26/2013 4:31:31 PM
The binding of issac(from the same Dev of Super Meat Boy) could be inspired by the first zelda.

Little Dew zelda inspired game is on steam and wii u soon.

There are a lot of Metroidvania games on Xbox Live, like Shadow Complex, Outland and Guacamelee.

Still seeking same kind of games like the classic.
#6CyricsServant(Topic Creator)Posted 7/26/2013 4:36:01 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot the Metroidvanias. Both Outland and Shadow Complex were surprisingly good. What I've played of From Dust has been pretty good as well.

Thanks for alerting me to Little Dew. I almost overlooked that.
#7wugeezyPosted 7/26/2013 4:36:36 PM
3d Dot Heroes was awesome on ps3.
#8parkourboybryanPosted 7/26/2013 4:37:32 PM
The Adventure Time game that was inspired by Zelda 2 was pretty good.
---
Anxiously awaiting the next Mirror's Edge.
Check out my entertainment blog: http://aicguild.blogspot.com
#9CyricsServant(Topic Creator)Posted 7/26/2013 9:10:58 PM
Speak of the devil . . .

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/ni7h98/gt-countdown-top-10-metroidvania-games
#10Halladay32Posted 7/26/2013 9:47:17 PM
If you consider Okami to be in the same vein as the Legend of Zelda games (the 3-D ones, anyway), then I'd say it easily outclasses all of them.
---
"I never thought about it until I reached college, but calling someone lame...is offensive to lame people."