Why do people keep thinking Nintendo will kill Atlus?

#1MushroomMuncherPosted 7/28/2013 4:29:56 PM
I have seen multiple people on multiple websites say that if Nintendo were to buy them, it would kill them. They would "Water them down" "Tone their games down" and"make their games friendlier". Why do so many people say this? And the even bigger question: Who really cares? I don't care who buys them, as long as I can play their games.
#2Shadowbird_RHPosted 7/28/2013 4:32:32 PM
Because people are bad at thinking.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#3SegavsCapcomPosted 7/28/2013 4:37:31 PM
MushroomMuncher posted...
I have seen multiple people on multiple websites say that if Nintendo were to buy them, it would kill them. They would "Water them down" "Tone their games down" and"make their games friendlier". Why do so many people say this?

Because Nintendo is a family friendly company. They make games that have colorful graphics that appeal to a younger audience. Now Nintendo is capable of making a dark game, but most of the time they make games like Mario or Kirby.

Some gamers have come to associate "Nintendo" with "kiddy". Atlus has produced mature games. I think you can fill in the blanks from there.

And the even bigger question: Who really cares? I don't care who buys them, as long as I can play their games.

I care. If SMT or Persona lost their maturity, I wouldn't buy those games. Maturity a big part of those games.

And the last line is really selfish thinking. You're basically saying "as long as I get it, who cares about the others who can't?"
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
3DS FC: 1306-5920-0665
#4Yami_SashaPosted 7/28/2013 4:43:19 PM
It's I believe one of the following:

-The ones without proper info: they hear too much about Nintendo being "kiddy" and assume that they would tone them down despite the fact that Nintendo has been involved with a number of M rated games but again they may not know that

-Trolls: Trying to ride the train of "It's cool to hate on Nintendo" and so they just play that

-Anti-Nintendoists/Sony Fanboys: they hate the idea of either being forced to buy a Nintendo console/handheld to play their precious Persona and so they nitpick reasons to try to say why it would be bad despite how what they say wouldn't effect the outcome most likely.

-Legimate concernerers: some are a bit paranoid over the fact that Nintendo will censor due to some history of them censoring such as the Fire Emblem Awakening fiasco but considering that was a T rated game and a DLC came out for it that the ESRB may have considered a bit much for a T game then it made sense.

If Nintendo got Atlus, they'd likely publish them as M rated games and so as long as nothing too controversial or AO came up, I wouldn't think they would censor it as my theory currently stands
---
This was once Super Japans Top3 before the name change
Backloggery Page: http://backloggery.com/yami_sasha
#5LvthnPosted 7/28/2013 4:47:03 PM
And the even bigger question: Who really cares? I don't care who buys them, as long as I can play their games.

Ignoring the rest of the post, this line is beyond absurd. Everyone who enjoys their games cares, that's who.

That's like saying "Who cares if Uwe Boll directs the next Star Wars movie, as long as I can watch it."

Atlus games are characterized by their maturity and willingness to approach controversial themes. Anyone, Nintendo or otherwise, seeking to water that down would be doing their series a huge injustice.
#6jsb0714Posted 7/28/2013 4:48:27 PM
Lvthn posted...

Ignoring the rest of the post, this line is beyond absurd. Everyone who enjoys their games cares, that's who.

That's like saying "Who cares if Uwe Boll directs the next Star Wars movie, as long as I can watch it."

Atlus games are characterized by their maturity and willingness to approach controversial themes. Anyone, Nintendo or otherwise, seeking to water that down would be doing their series a huge injustice.

Well, if I can watch/play it, what do I care who made it?
---
"There are 10 types of people. Those who understand binary and those who do not." -Someone who came up with this
#7LvthnPosted 7/28/2013 4:53:24 PM
jsb0714 posted...
Lvthn posted...

Well, if I can watch/play it, what do I care who made it?

Jesus, is reading comprehension really that bad on this forum?

Read the last paragraph. If it still hasn't clicked, read it again and again until it becomes clear why you should care who develops games (or movies, or any other entertainment).

If it never does click, unplug your computer and get a library card.
#8EndgamePosted 7/28/2013 4:56:46 PM
in order for Nintendo to ruin something, it has to be good to begin with

so yes, fears that Nintendo will ruin Atlus are completely baseless
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#9chrishu311Posted 7/28/2013 5:12:26 PM
SegavsCapcom posted...
I have seen multiple people on multiple websites say that if Nintendo were to buy them, it would kill them. They would "Water them down" "Tone their games down" and"make their games friendlier". Why do so many people say this?

Because Nintendo is a family friendly company. They make games that have colorful graphics that appeal to a younger audience. Now Nintendo is capable of making a dark game, but most of the time they make games like Mario or Kirby.

Some gamers have come to associate "Nintendo" with "kiddy". Atlus has produced mature games. I think you can fill in the blanks from there.

I care. If SMT or Persona lost their maturity, I wouldn't buy those games. Maturity a big part of those games.

And the last line is really selfish thinking. You're basically saying "as long as I get it, who cares about the others who can't?"

This is especially stupid, really. Platinum Games hasn't toned down Bayonetta 2 in the slightest. I think that they'd treat them with the same respect and let them do their thing. Why would they bother buying them in the first place?
---
"Nothing is perfect. The world turns on a tilted axis just doing the best it can, and that's what makes it so damn beautiful." --Roy Mustang
#10potatodoodPosted 7/28/2013 5:25:08 PM
While it definitely is a misconception that Nintendo will "kill" Atlus, there is a kernel of truth.

My problems mainly comes from Nintendo's odd and sometime baffling decisions lately.
-Fatal Frame. The series is all but dead, after Nintendo never localized 4 and had a terrible spinoff.
-Needing to have their arm twisted just to localize the rainfall games
-Censoring Fire Emblem.

Sure Nintendo publishes and sometimes makes plenty of "mature" games, but how many do well? Think Madworld, Conduit, No more heroes.

Madworld probably never would have been released on Nintendo if it wasn't for the stylized blood and gore, same with Conduit, replacing blood with "robot/alien blood".

Can you honestly say that Nintendo would have allowed Persona 3 to be released without any changes? Specifically summoning the personas by shooting their head? That just screams Nintendo meddling. If you can honestly say yes, then I'll put a point in your favor.

Truthfully, the fanboy in me doesn't want Nintendo to get Atlus more for the fact that I don't want to lose Persona rather than for the gain of any other IPs. If I were totally unbiased, then it would be best for a third party to pick them up just so the status quo remains the same. Nintendo fans get the keep their franchises, and Sony fans get to keep theirs.