Who has the better RPGs?

#11digiblasterPosted 7/30/2013 5:33:29 PM
Okay, I'd like to point out that the PS3 has had waaaay more RPGs than you've given it credit for, both Japanese and Western. Final Fantasy, Ni No Kuni, Tales of Graces/Xillia, Valkyria Chronicles, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Disgaea, Skyrim, and doubtless a lot that I've forgotten.

That said, I think Xenoblade Chronicles is one of the best games I've played of the entire generation, so it depends on whether you want quantity or quality.

(I also really liked Tales of Symphonia 2, but apparently that's not allowed)
---
Yeah, that's a problem games had back then. You actually had to get good at them. - Mctias
#12HayashiTakaraPosted 7/30/2013 5:33:40 PM
Endgame posted...
PS3 has actual Role Playing Games

the interactive movies known as "jRPGs" are the exact opposite of that, no role play, and sure as hell aren't games

Pokémon is Strategy/Breeding with RPG elements largely ignored in competitive play (only crits really matter)

Animal Crossing however, is a Role Playing Game in the purest sense of the words

so this poll should be Animal Crossing vs Skyrim

Larpers, gotta love them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5sEEhZgRXs
#13CyricsServantPosted 7/30/2013 5:37:05 PM(edited)
DarkAdonis123 posted...
Mandrew257 posted...
If were talking about Wii vs PS3. Wii. PS3 was severly lacking in good rpgs this gen.

Good RPGs were lacking this gen period. It was hardly just the PS3.

This, and the winner would have been the PS3.

Xenoblade, Fragile Dreams, and even Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World were quite good . . .

. . . But collectively were they better than Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's/Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Skyrim, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, Alpha Protocol, Mass Effect Trilogy, Dragon Age: Origins, Tales of Graces F, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, etc.? I don't think so.
#14FenderMasterPosted 7/30/2013 5:34:50 PM
Endgame posted...
PS3 has actual Role Playing Games

the interactive movies known as "jRPGs" are the exact opposite of that, no role play, and sure as hell aren't games

Pokémon is Strategy/Breeding with RPG elements largely ignored in competitive play (only crits really matter)

Animal Crossing however, is a Role Playing Game in the purest sense of the words

so this poll should be Animal Crossing vs Skyrim

This too. There's not a whole lot of actual role playing going on in JRPG's
---
http://www.jvp-boston.org
#15Mandrew257Posted 7/30/2013 5:52:30 PM(edited)
CyricsServant posted...
DarkAdonis123 posted...
Mandrew257 posted...
If were talking about Wii vs PS3. Wii. PS3 was severly lacking in good rpgs this gen.

Good RPGs were lacking this gen period. It was hardly just the PS3.

This, and the winner would have been the PS3.

Xenoblade, Fragile Dreams, and even Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World were quite good . . .

. . . But collectively were they better than Valkyria Chronicles, Demon's/Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma, Skyrim, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, Alpha Protocol, Mass Effect Trilogy, Dragon Age: Origins, Tales of Graces F, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, etc.? I don't think so.

Yes.
Xenoblade, Fragile Dreams, and even Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, The Last Story, Rune Factory: Frontier, Phantom Brave, Monster Hunter Tri, Dragon Quest Swords, Arc Rise Fantasia, Muramase Demon Blade, Pandoras Tower, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Little Kings Story, etc. But I did really enjoy Valkyria Chronicles, ToG F, and Ni No Kuni.

Demon Souls/Dark Souls didnt like.....dont hurt me. Before anyone says "AWW ITS BECAUSE YOU SUCK AT VIDEO GAMES HERP DERP" I just didnt enjoy it.

Skyrim(PS3 version) was terrible when I got it launch day. Didnt live up to the hype. And it was REALLY buggy. I know they patched it, but I sold it before that. Maybe I'll give it another chance.

Deus Ex: Havent played yet, but Ive heard good things about it.

Mass Effect: Good

Dragon Age: Didnt like.

Fallout 3 and New Vegas: Didnt like.
---
Still waiting on Snowboard Kids 3.
#16CyricsServantPosted 7/30/2013 5:52:52 PM
Mandrew257 posted...

Xenoblade, Fragile Dreams, and even Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, The Last Story, Rune Factory: Frontier, Phantom Brave, Monster Hunter Tri, Dragon Quest Swords, Arc Rise Fantasia, Muramase Demon Blade, Pandoras Tower, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, Little Kings Story, etc. But I did really enjoy Valkyria Chronicles, ToG F, and Ni No Kuni.

Yeah, both the lists could have been extended further (e.g. Disgaea 3 & 4, Kingoms of Amalur, Oblivion, etc.)

I AM a fan of Rune Factor and Radiant Dawn. Those were pretty damn solid.

Little King's Story though, while quite possibly my favorite game on the Wii, isn't really what I'd classify as an RPG.

And kudos on having good taste. Valkyria Chronicles, ToG F, and Ni No Kuni are easily my three favorite JRPGs on the PS3. Nothing else comes close . . . well, at least not until Xillia releases in a week.
#17CyricsServantPosted 7/30/2013 5:56:54 PM(edited)
Mandrew257 posted...
Demon Souls/Dark Souls didnt like.....dont hurt me. Before anyone says "AWW ITS BECAUSE YOU SUCK AT VIDEO GAMES HERP DERP" I just didnt enjoy it.

I take back what I said, you have terrible taste!

*puts user on ignore forever*

. . . j/k

Mandrew257 posted...
Skyrim(PS3 version) was terrible when I got it launch day. Didnt live up to the hype. And it was REALLY buggy. I know they patched it, but I sold it before that. Maybe I'll give it another chance.

I really, really enjoyed it . . . but I bought the 360 Legendary Edition, so that might have something to do with our different experiences.

. . . As for good RPGs on the PS3, I completely forgot Nier. That's another great one.
#18Mandrew257Posted 7/30/2013 5:55:37 PM
CyricsServant posted...
Mandrew257 posted...

. . . j/k

Lmao.
---
#19Dref151Posted 7/30/2013 5:59:37 PM
Sony. And you word the question like dark souls isnt comparable. It is.
#20Mandrew257Posted 7/30/2013 6:00:38 PM
CyricsServant posted...
Mandrew257 posted...

. . . j/k

Mandrew257 posted...

I really, really enjoyed it . . . but I bought the 360 Legendary Edition, so that might have something to do with our different experiences.

. . . As for good RPGs on the PS3, I completely forgot Nier. That's another great one.

Omg, I take back what I said about Wii having best RPG's. Nier, was my favorite out of EVERYTHING. How could I forget that, it was the first game I cried in lol. But yeah, 20 hours into skyrim, I load up my file, and right when it finishes loading I get slapped by a spider and die, cant move :(
---