IGN Analysis: The Wii U is trouble but Nintendo is Not

#1Ccrules2791Posted 7/31/2013 7:39:50 AM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/31/exactly-how-bad-is-the-nintendo-situation

IGN makes a good point--the Wii U is in danger but the way the company does business keeps it a float no matter what the storm is. So luckily, as a Nintendo fan, they will be here for some time to come.

However, it's time to see the Wii U do something and Nintendo to make some aggressive moves. The first half of the year they didn't even try--and it shows.

Can they capture lightning in a bottle twice? Or is it over before we even get to Smash and Mario Kart (which both look amazing)?
---
Playing = Believing
#2Numbuh100Posted 7/31/2013 7:41:02 AM
3DS is killing Vita still.
---
Waiting for: Pokemon X and Y, Monolith Soft's X, Smash Bros. 4, Mario Kart 8, Watch Dogs, Dark Souls 2
#3MilesTeg420Posted 7/31/2013 7:43:32 AM
3DS is doing ok but it's down significantly year over year despite strong software. It's down 460k from last year.
#4EoinPosted 7/31/2013 7:58:21 AM
"Wii U is in trouble but Nintendo is not" is probably the safest summation of the situation.

Nintendo are safe, for a long time. They have plenty of cash, they're not actively losing that cash, they have the 3DS (and the DS and Wii are surely still quite profitable, although any financial contribution they make is only likely to decline), and the Wii U's business model doesn't mean losing much on it even in the worst case, so Nintendo will be okay.

The Wii U, though, doesn't look promising. There's still some big games to come in the not-so-distant future, but sales aren't good and competition is about to get extremely heated. Retailers and third parties are clearly losing confidence, and the worst aspect of that is that those situations don't turn around overnight - success in December won't mean third party games in January or February.

What Nintendo might be worried about is that throwing cash at the Wii U could help it turn things around, but could lose them more money than they might want, whereas the current course isn't going to lose them much, if at all. If the Wii U picks up to GameCube-level sales, they'll likely profit from it - and they might not want to spend lots of money to turn an (almost) certain small profit into a less certain scenario.
#5ArchsazePosted 7/31/2013 8:03:03 AM
I rather wait until the holiday to see if the Wii U is in any serious trouble. Sales are definitely slow, but Nintendo is actively countering that by releasing some heavy hitters this fall through winter.
#6whizkid7Posted 7/31/2013 8:06:49 AM
I have to say this is the first time in a long time I've agreed with IGN. "The Wii U is in trouble but Nintendo is not" is pretty much spot on. I mean, -I- still love my Wii U, but it's pretty clear it needs the upcoming release lineup, and it needs it bad.
---
Arms is like being a chainsaw running around. Prot is like being a castle that walks around punching people in the face with it's drawbridge.
#7huckbeinePosted 7/31/2013 8:06:52 AM
Nintendo is not in trouble since they earn a lot of money through merchandising their characters, a revenue venue that analysts and forum warriors seems to forget.
#8userfrigginamePosted 7/31/2013 8:10:48 AM
I don't think the Wii U is in trouble. More like it's in a crappy situation. The Wii U would be in trouble if it doesn't sell many units after games like Mario Kart and Super Smash come out for it.
#9EternalDividePosted 7/31/2013 12:05:45 PM
Nintendo has no one to blame but themselves for the Wii U.

Had there been games like Mario Kart and Smash available 8 months AGO instead of 8 months FROM NOW. Things would be different. The games people will actually buy the console for instead of leaving it to drift on top of the jetsam and then wonder why it's not selling. Really? Did Nintendo really think people would be lining up to drop $300 so they can play LEGO City or Need For Speed U or a Luigi DLC?
I own one. I like it. But if it wasn't for CoD I wouldn't have touched it for months now.
And I think people are vastly overestimating the console pushing power of Pikmin 3, 101 and WW HD. IMHO Nintendo is in for dismal sales all the way through until Mario Kart gets here in April.
---
Square Enix: Crushing dreams since 2003
Elbow Rocket!
#10Ccrules2791(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 12:33:21 PM
Bump!
---
Playing = Believing