Nintendo thought New Super Mario Bros U would be a system seller

#1oOo_SOX_oOoPosted 7/31/2013 10:55:59 AM
Thats the truth and thats the problem. Mario Bros Wii sold over 27 million, if you combine the top selling 360 game sales and top selling PS3 game sales, they still dont match the sales of Mario Bros Wii. Now if you look at the DS, New Super Mario Bros sold 30 million and was the top selling DS game.

Super Mario Galaxy and Super Mario Galaxy 2 combined only sold roughly 18 million. Nintendo's confidence in the New Super Mario Bros series was so sky high that they thought they could launch it with the Wii U and become a system seller. Obviously now they are probably realizing that New Mario does not sell consoles.
---
NY JETS
R.I.P. ZYZZ
#2ChokusetsuPosted 7/31/2013 10:57:05 AM
It sold at least half a million of the 3.6m Wii Us sold...
---
De arimasu
#3CasualGamersPosted 7/31/2013 10:58:07 AM
Boy were they wrong.
#4trenkenPosted 7/31/2013 10:59:26 AM
The Galaxy's only sold about 11 mil total combined worldwide, not 18. The 3D Mario games typically arent huge sellers. Not even remotely close to the 2D games.

They made 2 NSMB games too many, but I cant imagine they really thought a 4th NSMB would sell THAT many $300 systems. That's absurd, and as we saw, it didnt.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#5oOo_SOX_oOo(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 11:02:29 AM
Come the one year anniversary of the Wii U we will still NOT have a 3D Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros or Mario Kart on the system.

That's disturbing and alarming. Go ahead and say "Well Mario is coming in December", doesn't matter, its still one full year. Don't bring up Windwaker either, I love the game, but its a remake. The Wii had brand new Zelda, Metroid, and Mario all within its first year. Wii U has NONE.
---
NY JETS
R.I.P. ZYZZ
#6EndgamePosted 7/31/2013 11:02:30 AM
after the incredibly lazy NSMB2, people knew better than to buy another NSMB released a few months later

and people around here say Wii U isn't selling because consumers are stupid, think Wii U is a Wii addon and not a new console, and don't know any better..... looks like they DO know better
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#7Tech_SupportPosted 7/31/2013 11:04:16 AM
Endgame posted...
after the incredibly lazy NSMB2, people knew better than to buy another NSMB released a few months later

and people around here say Wii U isn't selling because consumers are stupid, think Wii U is a Wii addon and not a new console, and don't know any better..... looks like they DO know better

Very well put; consumers see the Wii U for what it is not what Nintendo is trying to sell them it as.
---
Stop. Posting. On the Wii Board. You're really this close away from a Suspension. - CyricZ
#8Baha05Posted 7/31/2013 11:04:59 AM
Tech_Support posted...
Endgame posted...

Very well put; consumers see the Wii U for what it is not what Nintendo is trying to sell them it as.

Lol no to both
---
"I will take the advice of PS3 over you, any day of the week. Especially, when you state that all aspect ratios are the same." Some Crazy Guy
#9tizzywilkillyouPosted 7/31/2013 11:05:21 AM
trenken posted...
The Galaxy's only sold about 11 mil total combined worldwide, not 18. The 3D Mario games typically arent huge sellers. Not even remotely close to the 2D games.

They made 2 NSMB games too many, but I cant imagine they really thought a 4th NSMB would sell THAT many $300 systems. That's absurd, and as we saw, it didnt.

Galaxy 1 alone sold over 11 million according to Nintendo's official numbers (yes, those are shipped, not sold, but obviously several million of them aren't rotting away on shelves).
#10MilesTeg420Posted 7/31/2013 11:05:26 AM
They definitely overestimated it. All the previous entries were released to a healthy userbase.

Same with DKC. It released AFTER NSMBU, and sold very well because 80 million people had the console.

Wii launched with Wii Sports, a brand new Zelda, and Excite truck. Not sure why they thought a another 2D Mario and NL would generate the same interest.

We also saw a number of 2007 Wii games at E3 2006 before the console even released - games like Mario Galaxy, Mario Party, Pokemon Battle, Super Paper Mario, Prime 3, WarioWare, Smash Bros, Mario Kart Wii etc. I guess when we didn't see the same type of situation with Wii U at E3 2012 we should have known there would be a lack of content.