Nintendo thought New Super Mario Bros U would be a system seller

#11GoombePosted 7/31/2013 10:07:45 AM
oOo_SOX_oOo posted...
Come the one year anniversary of the Wii U we will still NOT have a 3D Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros or Mario Kart on the system.

That's disturbing and alarming. Go ahead and say "Well Mario is coming in December", doesn't matter, its still one full year. Don't bring up Windwaker either, I love the game, but its a remake. The Wii had brand new Zelda, Metroid, and Mario all within its first year. Wii U has NONE.

Mario Kart was released in 2008...
---
If you hate Nintendo, you are either 12 years old and grew with Microsoft, or you dislike games in general. - SilverShadow881
#12MilesTeg420Posted 7/31/2013 10:09:27 AM
Goombe posted...
oOo_SOX_oOo posted...
Come the one year anniversary of the Wii U we will still NOT have a 3D Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros or Mario Kart on the system.

That's disturbing and alarming. Go ahead and say "Well Mario is coming in December", doesn't matter, its still one full year. Don't bring up Windwaker either, I love the game, but its a remake. The Wii had brand new Zelda, Metroid, and Mario all within its first year. Wii U has NONE.

He didn't say it wasn't. He said that as of one calender year Wii U will not have any of those brands available.
#13ShankspearePosted 7/31/2013 10:09:48 AM
This happens with a lot of console exclusives though. I remember when HAZE was supposed to be the halo killer.....yeah we saw how that turned out.
#14arvilinoPosted 7/31/2013 10:14:53 AM
MilesTeg420 posted...
They definitely overestimated it. All the previous entries were released to a healthy userbase.

Same with DKC. It released AFTER NSMBU, and sold very well because 80 million people had the console.

Wii launched with Wii Sports, a brand new Zelda, and Excite truck. Not sure why they thought a another 2D Mario and NL would generate the same interest.

We also saw a number of 2007 Wii games at E3 2006 before the console even released - games like Mario Galaxy, Mario Party, Pokemon Battle, Super Paper Mario, Prime 3, WarioWare, Smash Bros, Mario Kart Wii etc. I guess when we didn't see the same type of situation with Wii U at E3 2012 we should have known there would be a lack of content.

Yeah but recall they had the "unprecedented partnership" with EA at the time and were hoping to give third parties a run, gave Ubisoft stage time announcing their then exclusive launch title, now delayed multi-plat Rayman Legends.

The system promised to offer more than it did simply because Nintendo sort of got royally screwed over by the third parties which probably messed up the WiiU's first half of 2013(since note how it is night and day between the WiiU and 3DS the 3DS had a really strong showing through their own first parties and third party exclusives while WiiU was suffering a horrible software drought not unlike the N64) especially when you compare it to the release list from Pikmin 3 onwards.
#15oOo_SOX_oOo(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2013 10:18:47 AM(edited)
Goombe posted...
oOo_SOX_oOo posted...

Umm ok? I never said it was released earlier? All I said was 3 of the top Nintendo franchises were on the Wii with a year, the Wii U will have none.

This also brings up another question...why is Mario 3D being launched AFTER black Friday? Do they think Donkey Kong is a system seller now to? Enough of these 2D games, I dont mind em but if thats what they are pushing as their main sellers then they will fail.

Build the install base first with games that actually sell systems, people bought Wiis just for Twilight Princes, Galaxy, Smash, Mario Kart. Honestly how many people bought a Wii U to play Mario Bros U? Its a nice addition, but not enough to shell out $350 for.
---
NY JETS
R.I.P. ZYZZ
#16blunderminePosted 7/31/2013 10:28:57 AM
Releasing NSBM2 right in front of it probably didn't help their cause.
---
So if Nintendo changed the name of the Wii - U, would they be pulling a U-Wii?
#17blunderminePosted 7/31/2013 10:29:56 AM
oOo_SOX_oOo posted...

Most of the franchises you listed are one per system. Do you expect them to having everything done in the first year?
---
So if Nintendo changed the name of the Wii - U, would they be pulling a U-Wii?
#18ChokusetsuPosted 7/31/2013 10:32:26 AM
Endgame posted...
after the incredibly lazy NSMB2, people knew better than to buy another NSMB released a few months later

and people around here say Wii U isn't selling because consumers are stupid, think Wii U is a Wii addon and not a new console, and don't know any better..... looks like they DO know better

The incredibly lazy NSMB2 remained one of the top 20 sellers for more than a year after its release.
Its DLCs also sell a lot everytime they come out...
---
De arimasu