What if: The Mario Kart 8 graphics were used in New Super Mario Bros. U

#1CubeTVPosted 7/31/2013 11:29:53 AM
What would your reaction be if the graphics in New Super Mario Bros. U were replaced by the ones in Mario Kart 8?
---
YouTube: www.Youtube.com/AdNintendogs
#2rafiiillaPosted 7/31/2013 11:59:36 AM
CubeTV posted...
What would your reaction be if the graphics in New Super Mario Bros. U were replaced by the ones in Mario Kart 8?

I actually believe that the graphics of SM3DW will be impressive as well. I think that the stages they have shown are "mild" and there is not much to brag about (visually)... but I bet there are going to be gorgeous stages on the game..
---
NNID: rafiiilla
http://img202.imageshack.us/img202/4797/rehash2.jpg
#3LordBowserPosted 8/2/2013 4:58:56 AM
I wouldn't really care. I don't play NSMB for the graphics.
---
I am Lord Bowser, King of the Koopas! Bwahaha..
Playing Bowser on Mario Kart, and Noxus on Metroid Prime. I am not a cookie cutter!
#4gnomelord255Posted 8/2/2013 5:01:50 AM
You do realize the greatest game of all time is literally a black screen, with two white bars, a square, and some numbers?

Gameplay over graphics, everytime. Anyone who disagrees is not a true gamer.
#5AngurvadalPosted 8/2/2013 5:10:21 AM
gnomelord255 posted...
You do realize the greatest game of all time is literally a black screen, with two white bars, a square, and some numbers?

So, would you play World of WarCraft if it had Atari 2600 level graphics?

Graphics do matter. Don't be ignorant.
---
Words of wisdom from Guybrush Threepwood:
http://tinyurl.com/cell59d
#6ZeroArcheryPosted 8/2/2013 5:11:47 AM
If Super Mario Bros. U had the graphics of Mario Kart 8, it probably wouldn't have been a launch title, or as long of a game as it was.
---
Official President of the NST
'But Neku, I thought you couldn't afford to lose? Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world.' - Joshua
#7DaLaggaPosted 8/2/2013 5:50:09 AM(edited)
gnomelord255 posted...

Pong is boring as hell if you go back and play it today because it's obscenely simplistic - even for a Tennis game. I dare anyone to play it more than 5 minutes without falling asleep. Sure, it may have had a huge impact on the industry, but by todays standards it's crap. There's countless free flash games that completely destroy it in terms of gameplay. And yeah, I first started gaming back in the Atari 2600 era so I know exactly what many of those old games were like back when they were in their prime. Put simply, they haven't aged well.

Moreover, 3D graphics did more than just make games pretty to look at. They quite literally added an entirely new dimension to the gameplay as well as creating a whole new level of immersion. So like it or not, but better graphics most certainly can add considerably to a game's playability, complexity, and overall entertainment value. Anyone who disagrees is not a true gamer.

Edit:
Angurvadal posted...
So, would you play World of WarCraft if it had Atari 2600 level graphics?

Graphics do matter. Don't be ignorant.

Better yet, go play something like Dwarf Fortress and tell me the game wouldn't be tremendously better if it at least had SNES quality graphics. For those that don't know, this is what the game looks like.

http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/Update%201-8/14_Clutter88b.gif

And for fun, here's a screenshot of a similar game currently in development.

http://bitscreed.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ARTICLE-GnomoriaInline3.png

Which one do you want to play?
#8ZeroArcheryPosted 8/2/2013 5:48:33 AM
DaLagga posted...
gnomelord255 posted...

Pong is boring as hell if you go back and play it today because it's obscenely simplistic - even for a Tennis game. I dare anyone to play it more than 5 minutes without falling asleep. Sure, it may have had a huge impact on the industry, but by todays standards it's crap. There's countless free flash games that completely destroy it in terms of gameplay. And yeah, I first started gaming back in the Atari 2600 era so I know exactly what many of those old games were like back when they were in their prime. Put simply, they haven't aged well.

Moreover, 3D graphics did more than just make games pretty to look at. They quite literally added an entirely new dimension to the gameplay as well as creating a whole new level of immersion. So like it or not, but better graphics most certainly can add considerably to a game's playability, complexity, and overall entertainment value. Anyone who disagrees is not a true gamer.

I liked Atari's Pong game for the PlayStation 1. They did great modernizing it.
---
Official President of the NST
'But Neku, I thought you couldn't afford to lose? Give up on yourself, and you give up on the world.' - Joshua
#9gnomelord255Posted 8/2/2013 6:00:16 AM
Actually, I have played MMOs with less graphics than this webpage uses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MUD

I'm old enough to have seen the birth of online gaming, and I've seen countless reiterations of gaming genres and gaming consoles, most of which you never knew existed.

I still think my favorite game is NetHack.

###############
# > D D #####
# D @
###################

Anybody who's played games in the late 80s knows that scene is a horror story.

Those graphics sure get in the way of that awesome gameplay though, huh CoD babies?
#10the_cajun88Posted 8/2/2013 6:02:37 AM
gnomelord255 posted...

Because being a 'true gamer' is something to brag about.
---
University of Tennessee Alumni
http://i.imgur.com/jC1P9wo.jpg