Why does Nintendo get blamed?

#1Xcalibur02Posted 8/3/2013 11:16:35 AM(edited)
Third party developers put out half-assed ports for Wii U.

EA ports Mass Effect 3 for the same price as the entire trilogy on other consoles.

Activision ignores Blacks Ops Wii U when it comes to DLC,

Ubisoft delays Rayman when they could have released it as an exclusive so they could have gotten more sales

And now WB cuts out a portion of Arkham Origins and charges the same price as the other consoles

Then they blame the system when those games don't sell. When we try to call them out on it, we always get one of two answers.

"Third parties are only in it for money. It's Nintendo's fault for not making their console profitable."

OR

"Third parties are only in it for money. It's your fault for only buying first party games."

So if a third party puts out any half-assed port on Wii U, are we supposed to think that's okay and just buy it anyway simply because it's there? Whatever happened to hold companies to higher standards?

You guys like to stereotype us into a bunch of close minded fanboys that only buy first party games. But given the popularity of quality Nintendo exclusives like Red Steel 2, MadWorld, and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, that just simply isn't true.

Yes Nintendo could have made their console a bit stronger, I get that. But we're seeing Nintendo put out great looking games like Mario Kart 8 and X, so don't try to tell me Nintendo isn't doing their part to make this console look appealing. Pikmin 3 has already become a success being number 1 in Japan and number 2 in Europe. We all know the potential is there.

So let me just ask you a question; Are we supposed gobble up any third party game, no matter how half-assed it is? Is Nintendo supposed to do something about other companies wanting to be a bunch of cheapskates?

If the answer to that question is yes, then how would you feel if 3rd parties put out piece of **** ports for PS4, and then we all blamed YOU for not buying their ****?

If the answer to the first question is no, then don't you think it's reasonable that if we go out and buy a $300-$350 console that we expect better effort from everyone involved? Because let's face it, most of the games that have come out for Wii U are 3rd party, but the reason why this console isn't selling is because those 3rd parties are making no attempts to make their games seem worth the price of admission, and will therefore be overshadowed AGAIN when the first party games do come rolling around later this year.

You guys need to understand that just because Nintendo tries to open up to third parties doesn't guarantee them success on Nintendo's console. But we know that they can earn success if they try, just look at the other consoles. Hell, look at the 3DS. Nintendo gave them their time in the spotlight, and they blew it, so third parties ARE to blame for the Wii U's poor state right now, at least partially.
---
Prime Minister of the Zelda A Link Between Worlds boards
You WILL bow down before me! Both YOU...and then one day...your ASS!
#2Kromlech06Posted 8/3/2013 11:08:31 AM
If haters abided to logic they would die out pretty fast. One cannot expect logic from them.
---
3DS FC: 2277-6801-3957
#3DifferentialEquationPosted 8/3/2013 11:10:15 AM
Nintendo should have better standards for what third parties can release on their console.
---
I want to move to a nice, quaint house in the suburbs with the T-Mobile girl and make lots of babies with her.
#4uberking422Posted 8/3/2013 11:12:49 AM
DifferentialEquation posted...
Nintendo should have better standards for what third parties can release on their console.

They did. Third parties wound up hating them for it, and left them for Sony when the Playstation came out.
#5SyCo_VeNoMPosted 8/3/2013 11:14:05 AM

They did at one point, and got blasted for it...

The Wii U right now is a complete catch 22 either we buy stripped down or half assed 3rd party game ports to show there is a market, but then the 3rd parties will keep it up as why bother improving a product if people will buy it, OR we don't buy them then the 3rd parties say that there is no user base.
#6DifferentialEquationPosted 8/3/2013 11:14:14 AM
uberking422 posted...

They did. Third parties wound up hating them for it, and left them for Sony when the Playstation came out.

I thought that was because cd's were superior to cartridges.
---
I want to move to a nice, quaint house in the suburbs with the T-Mobile girl and make lots of babies with her.
#7Baha05Posted 8/3/2013 11:16:50 AM

No they had been doing that during the NES-SNES era too, you know that era where no CD based consoles existed.
---
"I will take the advice of PS3 over you, any day of the week. Especially, when you state that all aspect ratios are the same." Some Crazy Guy
#8DifferentialEquationPosted 8/3/2013 11:19:32 AM
Baha05 posted...

No they had been doing that during the NES-SNES era too, you know that era where no CD based consoles existed.

I understand that there was a point where Nintendo wanted to censor content (Mortal Kombat 1), but then they either eased up on or completely did away with their standards. Mortal Kombat 2 and beyond had all the blood and gore of the arcade. Doom also had blood, iirc.
---
#9uberking422Posted 8/3/2013 11:20:26 AM
uberking422 posted...

That was part of it, but it was also largely in response to Nintendo's incredibly draconian policies in regards to what/how many games third parties could publish on their consoles. Mind you, said policies were a necessary evil to keep there from being another industry crash during the NES era, and a number of companies did some of their best work under Nintendo at the time. But nowadays they seem to be held to a double standard, where they have to take whatever they can get from third parties, while companies like Microsoft can bully them all they want and no one ever pays them any mind.
#10quickposterPosted 8/3/2013 11:23:33 AM
I remember reading former employees of western companies saying they abused their power. They had the strongest marketshare at the time but people would have to go to Japan and despite all the effort they put in Nintendo may not approve the game.

For the question companies will blame everyone and everything but themselves.