So, you all hate casuals? Wii and Wii U

#1Sharky8Posted 8/3/2013 2:23:53 PM(edited)
What is not a casual?

An RPG? A long adventure type game, probably a platformer? Big, long involved games that consume dozens of hours and require skill and devotion? The types of games that don't really exist as much today?

What is a casual? Wii Sports, Mario Party, Nintendoland?

Right? Because those games you can just pick up and play and they require no real skill, right?

Let's back track for a moment.

What were the so called "casual" games back when we were kids? What were those games that anyone could pick up and play? Gameboy Tetris, maybe? Maybe SNES Street Fighter 2? Or maybe SNES NBA Jam TE? Those were casual games that anyone could pick up and play. They might even play them for only a few minutes at a time. They're just dumb sports games and puzzle games. Just like Angry Birds today. DUMB. Right?

Well here's a newsflash:

Video gaming is not just about long involved RPGs. It's not just about Zelda, Final Fantasy, or others.

Games like Tetris, NBA Jam, and Street Fighter require serious devotion and skill to master the hell out of them. You wouldn't dare call those game "casual" would you? Or the people who have perfected them "casual," would you?

Well here's the thing, guys: Angry Birds for your phones and tablets and Wii, and Wii Sports, and even Nintendo Land require serious skill to master. Those games are just like the SNES games we remember like NBA Jam and Street Fighter 2 that anyone could pick up and play but with devotion could become some of the best games ever made.

It might not be a popular opinion, but it is a factually correct one: those so called casual games of this generation are no different. Your criticism of those games and those gamers is nonsense.

Once again, thank god Nintendo wants to cater to those "casuals."
#2metalmariolordPosted 8/3/2013 2:22:23 PM
Casual are people who don't have gaming as main hobby.
"Hardcore" people hate them, because they think they make shorter and easier games because of them.
I'm neutral, but I like big and medium difficulty games.
---
Do you judge games by graphics and not gameplay?Only like realistic games?
GO PLAY REAL LIFE!
#3PedrotacopacoPosted 8/3/2013 2:23:45 PM
metalmariolord posted...
"Hardcore" people hate them, because they think they make shorter and easier games because of them.

Every word of this
#4Sharky8(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 2:26:31 PM
metalmariolord posted...

And great games are games like Tetris, Angry Birds, SNES NBA Jam TE, SNES Street Fighter II, Wii Sports, Nintendo Land, and others that "casuals" who play games less than an hour a week can play and enjoy and that "hardcore gamers" who have gaming as a hobby can also pick up and play and with devotion can master.

These types of games are the future of gaming, but really they were the past of gaming as well, because Pac Man, Super Mario Mario Bros, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, and the like built gaming.
#5SychinLegacyPosted 8/3/2013 2:28:52 PM
Casuals is a made up term that certain people, the self proclaimed hardcore gamerz, use to try and act like they are superior to other people. That's all there is to it.
#6metalmariolordPosted 8/3/2013 2:37:47 PM
Sharky8 posted...
metalmariolord posted...

And great games are games like Tetris, Angry Birds, SNES NBA Jam TE, SNES Street Fighter II, Wii Sports, Nintendo Land, and others that "casuals" who play games less than an hour a week can play and enjoy and that "hardcore gamers" who have gaming as a hobby can also pick up and play and with devotion can master.

These types of games are the future of gaming, but really they were the past of gaming as well, because Pac Man, Super Mario Mario Bros, Donkey Kong, Space Invaders, and the like built gaming.

I think that the short and easy to learn, but hard to master games are staying for a long time.
And casual play big games also, but take much longer to finish, for example, GTA San Andreas, while most hardcore would beat all missions the sooner they could, the casual would complete two/three and messing around in their gaming time.
---
Do you judge games by graphics and not gameplay?Only like realistic games?
GO PLAY REAL LIFE!
#7P-APEPosted 8/3/2013 2:38:28 PM
metalmariolord posted...

You are a hardcore gamer, gaming is your hobby, you tend to play high skilled games and play various of games.

I mention many times, we have a kind of dudebros critizing the setting and story to childish simple instead the gameplay. Most of them taking videogames to far to serious, like they want a live simulator to getaway from real live.
#8HaigicotsuPosted 8/3/2013 2:48:45 PM
I think a casual is someone who doesn't go on video game message boards.
---
UMVC3 --Nemesis/Phoenix Wright/ Akuma
#9HayashiTakaraPosted 8/3/2013 2:54:02 PM
If hardcore gamers like hard games, why was the main complaint about ZombiU the unrelenting difficulty?
#10NovaeGamerPosted 8/3/2013 3:11:09 PM
Sharky8 posted...
What is not a casual?

An RPG? A long adventure type game, probably a platformer? Big, long involved games that consume dozens of hours and require skill and devotion? The types of games that don't really exist as much today?

What is a casual? Wii Sports, Mario Party, Nintendoland?

Right? Because those games you can just pick up and play and they require no real skill, right?

Let's back track for a moment.

What were the so called "casual" games back when we were kids? What were those games that anyone could pick up and play? Gameboy Tetris, maybe? Maybe SNES Street Fighter 2? Or maybe SNES NBA Jam TE? Those were casual games that anyone could pick up and play. They might even play them for only a few minutes at a time. They're just dumb sports games and puzzle games. Just like Angry Birds today. DUMB. Right?

Well here's a newsflash:

Video gaming is not just about long involved RPGs. It's not just about Zelda, Final Fantasy, or others.

Games like Tetris, NBA Jam, and Street Fighter require serious devotion and skill to master the hell out of them. You wouldn't dare call those game "casual" would you? Or the people who have perfected them "casual," would you?

Well here's the thing, guys: Angry Birds for your phones and tablets and Wii, and Wii Sports, and even Nintendo Land require serious skill to master. Those games are just like the SNES games we remember like NBA Jam and Street Fighter 2 that anyone could pick up and play but with devotion could become some of the best games ever made.

It might not be a popular opinion, but it is a factually correct one: those so called casual games of this generation are no different. Your criticism of those games and those gamers is nonsense.

Once again, thank god Nintendo wants to cater to those "casuals."

Since "casual" is a term used by many, in many different ways, I can only anwer this question by using "my casual term". To me the term hasn't anything to do how much time someone spends playing, or how good this person is at a game.

In general I use the term casual to refer to the reason why people are playing. Essencially it boils down to:

Casuals use games to kill some time.
Non-Casuals use their time to play games.

Both types play video games, most of the times the casual play even more.......Yet, the casual doesn't really care about the game itself, he just want to kill some time. Thats why the casual-crowd is shunned by the non-casuals; they don't care!

"Casual-games" are now specifically designed games to serve the purpose of killing time and thus attract the casual-crowd; (like 99% of all browser-games). It doesn't matter how much skill you need, how much time it takes to master ect.

Games like "Angry Brids" are designed to by able to pick up, play, and stop playing all in ~30sec. They are not designed to be an experience, but to lessen the experience of being bored.....nothing else.

So do I hate casuals? or casual-games?......No, I don't hate them.....but I don't accept them as "gamers".