Something I noticed about Mario games recently...

#11Watt64(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 10:50:10 PM
AhnoldDood posted...
Watt64 posted...
AhnoldDood posted...
You mean the sequels to certain games share the game's engine?

Color me surprised!

Well then, why can't there be a new Mario game that isn't a sequel?

3D Land wasn't a sequel. And I don't think Sticker Star is either.

Why are you bringing up Sticker Star? That has nothing to do with the main Mario games, which is what I'm talking about. And yes, SM3DL wasn't a sequel.
---
"So, um, I really want to help. I'll be good, really!"
#12Watt64(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 10:52:52 PM
soarcadia posted...
Watt64 posted...
FFXIgaiaknight posted...
3d land uses a modfied galaxy engine, which is a modified sunshine engine, which uses a modifed mario 64 engine i think you can see where im going with this.

I don't believe that Sunshine uses a modified SM64 engine. They feel nothing alike. In SM64, Mario feels like he weighs something, and he moves quickly and fluid. In SMS, Mario feels lighter, and less fluid. He also jerks around a lot, and the physics are really wacked out.

Do you know what an engine is?

SMS doesn't feel anything like SM64. And you're saying they have a similar engine? If it is a modified engine, it must be really changed.
---
#13FFXIgaiaknightPosted 8/3/2013 10:56:05 PM
Watt64 posted...
soarcadia posted...
Watt64 posted...
FFXIgaiaknight posted...
3d land uses a modfied galaxy engine, which is a modified sunshine engine, which uses a modifed mario 64 engine i think you can see where im going with this.

I don't believe that Sunshine uses a modified SM64 engine. They feel nothing alike. In SM64, Mario feels like he weighs something, and he moves quickly and fluid. In SMS, Mario feels lighter, and less fluid. He also jerks around a lot, and the physics are really wacked out.

SMS doesn't feel anything like SM64. And you're saying they have a similar engine? If it is a modified engine, it must be really changed.

a game doesnt have to similar to be using the same engine let me give you an example. Did you know that resident evil 6 and marvel vs capcom 3 are using the same engine?
---
3DS FC: 4124-5007-1536
NNI: Gaiaknight
#14Fimble_the_magePosted 8/3/2013 11:00:40 PM
Developing new engines is expensive and shouldn't really be done unless necessary.

Developing a new engine just for the sake of doing so every game would bankrupt a developer.
---
Omegle is the worst site ever
#15BloodychessPosted 8/3/2013 11:00:51 PM
AhnoldDood posted...
You mean the sequels to certain games share the game's engine?

Color me surprised!

I'm amazed, how did I never notice this?!
---
Not changing this sig until EA issues an apology for Madden 13
#16Tsutarja495Posted 8/3/2013 11:04:06 PM
So your problem is with sequels? Alright, but what's the difference if each has at least one original? Look at 64 vs Galaxy, only Galaxy got a sequel. But does that negate the fact that the first Galaxy was original? Would you prefer the sequels just didn't exist?

The Wii U probably will get an original 3D Mario at some point, but it's just easier to go with an existing style right now because they were(are?) still getting used to HD and it's slowing everything down for them. Plus 3D Land sells very well, still holding the top spot on the 3DS top sellers.
---
I'm not a gamer, I'm a Nintendrone. Here's proof I live to serve Nintendo:
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee371/Anonymous987654321/HNI_0030.jpg
#17DiscostewSMPosted 8/3/2013 11:06:39 PM
Watt64 posted...
soarcadia posted...
Watt64 posted...
FFXIgaiaknight posted...

Yes, SMS could have been running on an improved SM64 engine, an engine that jumped from one generation to the next and would then take advantage of what that hardware offers, so long as the improvements are implemented as such, like a game engine designed for DirectX 10, and then improved upon when it jumps to DirectX 11.

Game engines are like math equations. They'll give you different results based on the input you give it. Like, gravity for instance. One game may have it set at one value, while another game sets it differently. So, the game engine takes that value, and applies it to everything it is told to. SMS and SM64 may feel different, and that could be because they each have different values for the same aspects running on similar engines.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#18HayashiTakaraPosted 8/3/2013 11:07:22 PM
Obvious troll topic is Obvious... every development studio uses the same engine over and over and over and over and over. For instance, Unreal Engine anyone?
#19Watt64(Topic Creator)Posted 8/3/2013 11:12:41 PM
HayashiTakara posted...
Obvious troll topic is Obvious... every development studio uses the same engine over and over and over and over and over. For instance, Unreal Engine anyone?

I'm not a troll! I'm just asking a question, I'm not trying to make people mad, or get a reaction out of them. Comments like this are a waste of space.
---
#20LeetCheetPosted 8/4/2013 4:35:04 AM
Watt64 posted...
HayashiTakara posted...

I'm not a troll! I'm just asking a question, I'm not trying to make people mad, or get a reaction out of them. Comments like this are a waste of space.

This topic is a waste of space.
---
http://i.imgur.com/RZ9Xp5F.jpg
Loves Tess Merkel of ALCAZAR ^_^