Wii U needs account-based accomplishment system

#1dcamp27Posted 8/4/2013 6:07:50 AM
Have they not implemented this because they don't want to be accused of copying achievements or trophies? It's something that gamers want these days, so they should do it. I like to show everyone my game accomplishments.
#2dancing_cactuarPosted 8/4/2013 6:12:00 AM
Only if those achievements actually do something in the game. The thing is, I kinda like achievements, but I hate how they do nothing for me.

Take Mortal Kombat, there's a trophy/achievement for winning 100 games, doing 100 fatalities, 150 x ray moves, and playing as that character for whole day, with every character. There are more than 20 characters in the game. What does this achievement get me in the game? Nothing. I get no reward for this. What's the point then?
---
I am pro Nintendo on the Nintendo board, so I am not a troll. - Greer
#3PedrotacopacoPosted 8/4/2013 6:15:15 AM
Nintendo says they don't like it because it forces gamers to do something to have the full experience.
#4random_man9119Posted 8/4/2013 6:15:50 AM
I never understood the appeal to trophies/achievements... When I play PS3, I always forget they exist until one pops up

Would it be neat if it had one? Sure
Does it need it or help sell systems? Probably not
---
PSN: Des-Nos|3DS FC: 1375 7442 7348
NNID: MrOddities|ACNL: Odd from Utopia
#5dcamp27(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2013 6:17:56 AM
I like them because they give you incentive to play your old games.
#6MichaelS91Posted 8/4/2013 6:19:20 AM
They serve no real purpose other than to show off, nothing gets unlocked in the game if you get a trophy or achievement they're just....there.
---
NNID: stretfordender91
PSN: m-smith1991
#7NovaLevossidaPosted 8/4/2013 6:20:54 AM
Achievements are good because people like them. Disabling their notification, like the PS3 can with trophies (the 360 has to turn off your invites / messages at the same time, which is bad), is also good. Best of both worlds as both types of players can enjoy or not be bothered by them. Nintendo is archaic here by not giving you the option at all. There are lots of players who enjoy their games more with achievements, and there's even some types of players who will buy games solely because they can get achievements in them. I don't personally like them, but not having them is missing the point of them entirely.
---
-C- GET EQUIPPED WITH: [ ] KLOBB [ ] BFG
[ ] METAL BLADE [X] CUTSCENE MURDER PISTOL
#8thundercat2600Posted 8/4/2013 6:23:16 AM
Is fun to compare with your friends.

I'm sure if/when Nintendo has them, everybody here will be falling over themselves praising Nintendo for ushering in the achievement revolution.
---
Nintendo stock the day before Wii U was announced: 26,500
Nintendo stock today: 13,230
#9thefabregas22Posted 8/4/2013 6:26:41 AM
random_man9119 posted...
I never understood the appeal to trophies/achievements... When I play PS3, I always forget they exist until one pops up

Would it be neat if it had one? Sure
Does it need it or help sell systems? Probably not

It does for some people.
My brother is a big trophy hunter and can't enjoy games anymore if they don't have them.
---
NNid: AdmiralClassy
Psn: Admiral Classy
#10MilesTeg420Posted 8/4/2013 6:36:29 AM
I honestly think it's not there because the OS was obviously unfinished even when the console launched. They didn't have enough time and it's not a feature they care about. I'm not saying it definitely would have happened if they had more time, just noting that they could barely get a functional OS out the door nevermind an achievement system.