Do you think any of the next gen systems will break wii's month sales record?

#21FFXIgaiaknight(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2013 8:29:42 PM
mercurythewhite posted...
FFXIgaiaknight posted...
mercurythewhite posted...
FFXIgaiaknight posted...
Back in December 2009 the wii set the record by selling 3.8 million consoles in 1 month a record that was previously set by PS2 at 2.7 million. Personally i dont think we will ever get a home console that beats the wii record.

Of course...if the PS4 or 1 sold for the original Wii price. Would crush that number...oh well, your analogy is screwed.

the PS4 and XB1 dont have the same wide appeal as the wii and ps2 had while the ps4 will definitely be the juggernaut of this gen but even if it matched the wii launch price it wouldnt do those numbers since the casual market has left for smart phones and tablets.

I disagree. It was Nintendo who fished for the casual market and you are seeing the effects of that. Sony and MS fanbase wasn't built upon the casuals therefore their sales should be consistent and less moved by the casual demographic. So like I said, if the PS4/1 released at original Wii price, that record would be destroyed.

I hate to break it to ya but the casual market makes up a pretty nice chunk of console sales always has if you think for one second that consoles sell 70+ million thanks to just hardcore gamers than your in denial.
---
3DS FC: 4124-5007-1536
NNI: Gaiaknight PSN: FFXIGaiaknight
#221337gamerpr0Posted 8/14/2013 8:50:03 PM
it won't beat the Wii's first half sales, it was on fire back then
however, PS4 does have a shot as passing wii LTD if things go right for them (Nintendo and Microsoft are doing a good job of assisting them!)
#23FlyinTonitePosted 8/14/2013 8:54:58 PM
how are ps4 and x1 not casual consoles? They are aimed at everyone, if they catered just to the hardcore crowd they would crash and burn. Games like COD are very easy to pick up and play, thus making them very accessible to anyone who wants to try it. Part of the reason it's so popular is because of how easy it is to pick up. Game consoles need the casual market, it's by far the largest chunk of the pie.

That being said, I think ps4 may break a sales record, but I do see it tapering off. Right now it's riding a ridiculous hype train that I feel will subside after launch. People are counting out wii u and x1 far too soon. The hardcore gamers seem to favor ps4 but they aren't the ones that will be buying these systems in droves.
---
Wonderful 101: A game where you fight people with people.
#24FFXIgaiaknight(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2013 9:04:50 PM
FlyinTonite posted...
how are ps4 and x1 not casual consoles? They are aimed at everyone, if they catered just to the hardcore crowd they would crash and burn. Games like COD are very easy to pick up and play, thus making them very accessible to anyone who wants to try it. Part of the reason it's so popular is because of how easy it is to pick up. Game consoles need the casual market, it's by far the largest chunk of the pie.

That being said, I think ps4 may break a sales record, but I do see it tapering off. Right now it's riding a ridiculous hype train that I feel will subside after launch. People are counting out wii u and x1 far too soon. The hardcore gamers seem to favor ps4 but they aren't the ones that will be buying these systems in droves.

the casual audience wont buy a ps4 or bx1 for call of duty when they can just play it on there ps3 or 360.
---
#25FlyinTonitePosted 8/14/2013 9:08:26 PM
FFXIgaiaknight posted...
FlyinTonite posted...

the casual audience wont buy a ps4 or bx1 for call of duty when they can just play it on there ps3 or 360.

there's a topic here (forgot which one) where I made the assumption there isn't enough to grab "millions" of gamers to buy ps4 right off the bat. Most of the "next-gen" games are on current gen, we (frequent game site vistors) may pay more for a prettier game, but the average consumer will not.
---
Wonderful 101: A game where you fight people with people.
#26FFXIgaiaknight(Topic Creator)Posted 8/14/2013 9:15:43 PM
FlyinTonite posted...
FFXIgaiaknight posted...
FlyinTonite posted...

there's a topic here (forgot which one) where I made the assumption there isn't enough to grab "millions" of gamers to buy ps4 right off the bat. Most of the "next-gen" games are on current gen, we (frequent game site vistors) may pay more for a prettier game, but the average consumer will not.

i would say thats a very good assumption its also why when i decide to talk hardware and games i try not to think like a gamer but think like the average consumer.
---
#27nonexistingheroPosted 8/15/2013 10:00:30 AM
tsizzle420 posted...
spartansbrother posted...
no because when the wii came out is was cheap and casual (thats most of the sales). the ps4 and the xbox one cost 400 dollars and 500 dollars and are not really aimed for a casual audience

LMAO omg that is one of the funniest things I have ever read.

Even though he's 100% right. Casuals generally aren't going to buy any of them until they hit $300 or less.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#28TheMisterManGuyPosted 8/15/2013 10:13:06 AM
FFXIgaiaknight posted...
BrusselsAffair posted...
Wiiplayer111 posted...
No. I think the next gen will have the worst sales since the modern three came to being.

lol.

So much lol.

I actually agree the market is shrinking thanks to smart phones and tablets.

Really? Smartphones may be taking the casuals, but they're not going to replace ACTUAL gaming devices, Console or handheld.
---
In a gaming world filled with chaos & fanboyism, I try to be the voice that guides people to the truth.