Wii U NOT first in sales this generation good for the industry

#1ShankspearePosted 8/13/2013 8:11:19 AM
PS4 needs to be a success for Playstation to continue.

They have a lot riding on this console considering they haven't been able to make the Vita profitable yet (it's still possible) they need this launch to go very well. The PS3 is and has been doing well for the past 3 years but they can't rely on that alone.

I personally favor Wii U but I like Sony as well, and I really hope they can have a successful launch. I'm rooting for you Playstation.

What do you guys think? Am I overstating the situation or is there more room on the market than I am projecting? Before someone asks, no, I don't like Xbox anymore. The 360 is my last one.
#2Enigma149Posted 8/13/2013 8:17:04 AM
It doesn't matter if the PS4 is first in the industry if Sony ends up losing billions on it like they did on the PS3 - Sony may still view the games business as unprofitable. Now, they may finish first, and they may make money, but if it was a choice between selling the most units and losing money or selling the second-most units and making money, I think they'd chose the latter.
---
MOS 6510 @ 1.023 MHz // MOS VIC-II 6567 // 64 kB RAM // 20 kB ROM // 3ch MOS 6581 SID // 1541 FDD // Datasette
3DS: 4897-5935-1924; NN, Steam: CrimsonEnigma
#3arvilinoPosted 8/13/2013 8:23:51 AM(edited)
I'd think it would be pretty funny if WiiU was first in sales console-wise because it'd almost certainly coincide with "WiiU+3DS sales">"PS4+Vita+Xbox1 sales"

I'm not too fussed about Sony's performance simply because regardless of the competition I can't see any other company(except I guess uncontested Microsoft) not offering almost exactly same sort of thing Sony normally does in the case there was another console on the market. In that you're more likely to see a new Sony/Microsoft-esque console than a second Nintendo if you get what I mean.
---
"The fact of the matter is that we've been here constantly. We've been betraying peoples expectations, in a good way, for a long time."
#4Shankspeare(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2013 8:22:20 AM
Enigma149 posted...
It doesn't matter if the PS4 is first in the industry if Sony ends up losing billions on it like they did on the PS3 - Sony may still view the games business as unprofitable. Now, they may finish first, and they may make money, but if it was a choice between selling the most units and losing money or selling the second-most units and making money, I think they'd chose the latter.

Well hopefully they also have that as a backup plan just in case. I mean they have proven with the PS3 and PS2 that their business is about getting the consoles in homes and then making money from licensing. However, I don't think the PS4 was as big as an investment as the PS3. They've stated their losses shouldn't be anywhere close. But we will see I guess.
#5kukingina2Posted 8/13/2013 8:23:12 AM
yes desperate nintendo is awesome nintendo....

overconfident nintendo is bad, secretive and takes forever to release games
---
Is Metroid's gun part of his armor or is he a cyborg like Data from Star wars?
3ds fc: 4940-5506-2047
#6Shankspeare(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2013 8:24:38 AM
arvilino posted...
I'd think it would be pretty funny if WiiU was first in sales console-wise because it'd almost certainly coincide with "WiiU+3DS sales">"PS4+Vita+Xbox1 sales"

I'm not too fussed about Sony's performance simply because regardless of the competition I can't see any other company(except I guess uncontested Microsoft) not offering almost exactly same sort of thing Sony normally does in the case there was another console on the market.

Well Microsoft seems to be taking their cues from Sony this next generation coming and without that guideline we've seen what they are planning....
#7AceMosPosted 8/13/2013 8:26:26 AM
no sony beinf first is BAD for the industry

pushing for power is killing the industry

120 studios closed down last gen

EA is buying out any that struggle even a little

games are geting more and more expensive and giving less adn less content

so no the industry needs to see high end specs as BAD

when selling over 3 million copys of a game is bad and costs a giant company like sqr enix alot of money we are having a problem
---
3 things 1. i am female 2. i havea msucle probelm its hard for me to typ well 3.*does her janpuu dance*
#8Kromlech06Posted 8/13/2013 8:27:14 AM
Position compared to competitors =/= success.

I wouldn't call 360 a failure, and I wouldn't call gamecube a failure.

They can all make mad dosh this gen, they just have to not make horrendously stupid choices (or at least if they do, go 180 on them).
---
3DS FC: 2277-6801-3957
#9Shankspeare(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2013 8:27:15 AM
kukingina2 posted...

overconfident nintendo is bad, secretive and takes forever to release games

I disagree. I think it isn't desperate vs. overconfident. I think it is more Icon of the market Nintendo vs. Underdog nintendo. In both cases they are secretive and calculating (slow) with their development process. It's just that Underdog favors their strategy better.
#10GigantLuffyPosted 8/13/2013 8:27:15 AM

This

Holidays and 2014 are gonna be awesome.
---
Sephiroth: " Mother..."
Squall: "I'm not your mom."