Do you know why each console maker joined the industry?

#1P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 8/13/2013 6:48:04 PM
Who do you think had the best reason for joining the home console industry in your opinion? - Results (211 votes)
Magnavox
9.48% (20 votes)
Atari
5.21% (11 votes)
Coleco
5.69% (12 votes)
Nintendo
45.97% (97 votes)
Sega
4.27% (9 votes)
Sony
26.54% (56 votes)
Microsoft
2.84% (6 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Magnavox - When asked to make the "best television in the world" Ralph Baer hatched the idea to add interactive games to it to make it better than the competition. After the use of plenty of time an money, the Brown Box was born. With patent in hand, Ralph Baer began looking for someone to license his product and the one to answer that was ultimately the TV Manufacturer, Magnavox, who saw a novel product that would benefit the company, and the "Odyssey" was born. ::GEN1::

Atari - Having already been in the arcade business, and becoming hugely popular, Atari saw demand for these games in the home. After several issues, the "Atari Pong" was released. ::GEN1::

Coleco - After seeing the success from Atari and Magnavox's entries in home consoles (which, at the time, were merely pong-on-a-chip) this toy manufacturer decided to get a piece of the pie with the "Telstar". ::GEN1::

Nintendo - Suffering to find a new market after the fall of Hanafuda Cards and failure in toys Nintendo saw how successful video games were and began to dabble in them. Their first step in that field was to secure the rights to distribute the Magnavox Odyssey in Japan. After experiencing reasonable success at this, Nintendo began developing its own video games, both for the home and for arcades. In the 1970s, Mitsubishi Electric proposed joint development of "Color TV Game Machine". ::GEN1::

Sega - Beginning as a simple branch of a company called Service Games, Sega brought very much prosperity to it's Parent Company and eventually joined the home console industry to debut their talents, introducing the industry's first three-dimensional game, SubRoc 3D, however, this was at the same time as the Gaming Crash. After being passed around like a hot potato, Sega was eventually bought by CSK who restructured the company and began to take advantage of the resurgent video game market in the United States with the "Sega Master System". ::GEN3::

Sony - As Nintendo continued developing add-ons for the SNES, Sony was focusing on its core business of technology and in 1986 they developed alongside Philips Electronics a new kind of CD-ROM which allowed compressed audio, video/graphics, and data to run simultaneously.
On the news of this hot new technology and leveraging their existing relationship, Nintendo approached Sony to start development on a CD-ROM add-on to the Super Nintendo, with plans on making it Nintendo's first disc-based console. The deal was made in 1988 with Sony crafting the tech and Nintendo releasing the Play Station expansion.
Unfortunately all plans got derailed due to a contract issue that caused Nintendo to reconsider the relationship. Nintendo quietly made a side-deal with Philips Electronics to make a different disc-based SNES add-on and canceled their existing agreement with Sony. While this was a setback for the electronics giant, they decided to continue developing the technology to create their own console, the "Playstation". ::GEN5::

Microsoft - When Microsoft entered the industry, their key focus was to buy their way past Sony. They bought Rare, some Ex-Sega Employees from Sega's third party transition, and attempted to buy out Nintendo. Originally called X-Box (note the additional hyphen), Gates effused about a machine that would be three times as powerful as the PS2 and would transform the way we consumed electronic entertainment. After a year of speculation and excitement, "Xbox" finally hits US stores in 2001. ::GEN6::

*breaths*
---
NNID: Ko-san
"SUUUPERRR!"
#2P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2013 6:50:44 PM
Oh
TLDR:
Magnavox - Wanted to innovate
Atari - Wanted to expand
Coleco - Wanted to imitate
Nintendo - Wanted to survive
Sega - Wanted to show off
Sony - Nintendo already started them off
Microsoft - To be the best

These are VERY loose and can easily be taken out of context so, I implore that you read the descriptions. At least for the ones that interest you.
---
"SUUUPERRR!"
#3ChokusetsuPosted 8/13/2013 7:00:49 PM
Microsoft has easily the worst reason...
---
De arimasu
#4P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2013 7:07:49 PM
I feel kinda bad that more people aren't voting for Magnavox. I think that therein lies a great reason. "Why do games have to be played on a PC?"

Though Nintendo's need for survival is a good reason.

And if Sony just said "**** it" after going through so much development, I think that would have been a bad choice. So I think they have a good reason, though, it's more because doing the other thing would have been stupid.
---
"SUUUPERRR!"
#5Death47Posted 8/13/2013 7:11:01 PM
Sony I think.
#6FayeLadyPosted 8/13/2013 7:13:05 PM(edited)
Sega isnt a branch of service games, it is the renamed Service Games.

Can't deny Coleco is awesome tho. We make leather. Why not games?
---
If I support the game company, then I won't be supporting the blank DVD business.
#7P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N(Topic Creator)Posted 8/13/2013 7:15:02 PM
FayeLady posted...
Sega isnt a branch of service games, it is the renamed Service Games.

Oh, I must've missed that.
---
"SUUUPERRR!"
#8BkzIzuPosted 8/13/2013 7:18:13 PM
I like why Sony joined.
Nintendo breaks the contract and burns them in front of an audience, Sony comes back makes their own console and dominates two gens in a row. Not to mention Sega also rejects working with Sony and Sony's PS2 ends up killing them.
#9TallWhiteNinjaPosted 8/13/2013 7:24:30 PM
They all tie, since every single one of those reasons boils down to "wanted to make money."
---
Either the worst great player or the best horrible player you'll ever meet.
#10huckbeinePosted 8/13/2013 9:02:15 PM
one of the most interesting thing about sony history is that nintendo approached them to do a snes cd attachment because of their partnership in 1988 to produce the advanced sound chip for the snes. in ces 91, sony thought theyre going to be annouced as partners to produce the snes attachment, but yamauchi didnt like the contract so he secretly canceled it and approached philips instead, but gave the same contract to them for sony.

so not to waste r&d money, sony tried to develop the sony playstation we know today.

and Nintendo actually filed numerous lawsuits against sony that will prevent sony releasing the playstation because they claim nintendo owns the brand playstation.

but in 1992, they settled on bad blood and agreed to work again for a stand alone cd console that will have nintendo ips. but in 1993. sony broke off the partnership and developed the playstation with a new generation hardware.