Do you know why each console maker joined the industry?

#11Luigi4PresidentPosted 8/13/2013 9:05:55 PM
What about Commodore? Just kidding, Magnavox let's say. Innovation forms success
---
Everytime I find the key to success, somebody changes the locks.
You guys are a riot a minute!
#12gamerso1990Posted 8/13/2013 9:08:18 PM
I voted for Nintendo. Though I hear the reason why Microsoft entered the game industry was because Bill Gates wanted to prove that Microsoft could do it.
#13PedrotacopacoPosted 8/13/2013 10:51:45 PM
BkzIzu posted...
I like why Sony joined.
Nintendo breaks the contract and burns them in front of an audience, Sony comes back makes their own console and dominates two gens in a row. Not to mention Sega also rejects working with Sony and Sony's PS2 ends up killing them.

They broke the contract because Sony wanted rights to all games that used the cd rom. Granted, nintendo handled it very immaturely for a company, so neither of them are the good guy here
#14ORANGE666Posted 8/13/2013 11:16:53 PM
Sony had plans to join in on the console race far before the snes add on.

Sony wanted a monopoly in peoples living rooms, they partnered with nintendo to make the sound chip for snes because they wanted to create a relationship with nintendo.

The ps1 was initially a 2d only console, sega inspired sony to make it 3d. Sony even asked Sega to partner with them twice both times sega japan turned them down despite sega of america and the hardware development teaming wanting to partner with sony. Sega japan simply said sony doesnt know how to make console hardware... Lol
#15ORANGE666Posted 8/13/2013 11:19:25 PM
Pedrotacopaco posted...
BkzIzu posted...
I like why Sony joined.
Nintend. o breaks the contract and burns them in front of an audience, Sony comes back makes their own console and dominates two gens in a row. Not to mention Sega also rejects working with Sony and Sony's PS2 ends up killing them.

They broke the contract because Sony wanted rights to all games that used the cd rom. Granted, nintendo handled it very immaturely for a company, so neither of them are the good guy here

That was because nintendo was trying to start contracta to make money off sonys cd's monry that sony wouldnt get. Konami and square enix also told sony to get liscensing for snes games because nintendo was trying to create a monopoly with console exclusive agreements and high liscensing fees
#16nonexistingheroPosted 8/13/2013 11:32:23 PM(edited)
I think Nintendo and Sega have the best reasons. It seems that they naturally settled into the gaming industry.

And yeah, MS has the worst reason. I'm not sure how true it is, but I read that the main reason why they wanted to beat Sony in the game industry, is because they were afraid Sony would create their own OS that could rival Windows.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#17strongo9Posted 8/13/2013 11:38:38 PM
BkzIzu posted...
I like why Sony joined.
Nintendo breaks the contract and burns them in front of an audience, Sony comes back makes their own console and dominates two gens in a row. Not to mention Sega also rejects working with Sony and Sony's PS2 ends up killing them.

You mean lose money?
---
R.I.P. Mewtwo (1996 - 2013)
i7-2670qm @ 2.2ghz | 6GB DDR3 | 1GB Geforce 540m
#18PedrotacopacoPosted 8/13/2013 11:51:21 PM
ORANGE666 posted...
Pedrotacopaco posted...
BkzIzu posted...
I like why Sony joined.
Nintend. o breaks the contract and burns them in front of an audience, Sony comes back makes their own console and dominates two gens in a row. Not to mention Sega also rejects working with Sony and Sony's PS2 ends up killing them.

That was because nintendo was trying to start contracta to make money off sonys cd's monry that sony wouldnt get. Konami and square enix also told sony to get liscensing for snes games because nintendo was trying to create a monopoly with console exclusive agreements and high liscensing fees

Nintendo had been trying to make a monopoly since way before then, what's your point?
#19bartz90Posted 8/13/2013 11:57:56 PM
Microsoft did want to buy their way past Sony, but, first they approached Sony about some kind of partnership to which Sony said no. It's cool how Nintendo and Sony both spurred on their own competitors.
---
-
#20itsmeaustinPosted 8/14/2013 12:00:34 AM
Microsoft made the Xbox as a move to keep DirectX relevant
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNgxyL5zEAk