Why hasn't Nintendo made a console sequel to Super Mario RPG for the Wii U?

#11GalluszPosted 8/14/2013 9:58:35 AM
AceMos posted...
21_21 posted...
the_cajun88 posted...
Because of Square, maybe?

You don't need Square, though, to make another Super Mario RPG. Most of the creativity behind Super Mario RPG was actually by Miyamoto, and Square just mainly helped out in developing.

sqr owns mallow geno ect

Square owns Geno?

There goes my hope of a geno rpg
---
"Impossible doesn't mean very difficult. Very difficult is winning the Nobel Prize; impossible is eating the Sun." ~Lou Reed.
#12gameryoshiPosted 8/14/2013 10:05:26 AM
Because nintendo forgot the 90's and its games existed. Also square as many mentioned.
#13DiscostewSMPosted 8/14/2013 10:08:03 AM
They may not be console games, but the Mario & Luigi series are excellent RPGs, and I honestly prefer them over Super Mario RPG (not to say I didn't enjoy SMRPG).
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#14Sharky8Posted 8/14/2013 10:09:15 AM
Because the console has been out 9 months.

Jesus effing christ, people.
#15AhnoldDoodPosted 8/14/2013 10:25:00 AM
And a sequel to a 16-bit RPG would take more effort than 2D or 3D Mario games because...?

And SMRPG is as overrated as hell.
#16AiddonPosted 8/14/2013 10:29:29 AM
actually, the guys who designed Seven Stars (who now work on the Mario and Luigi series at Nintendo) have said even if Square wasn't an issue they still wouldn't make a sequel to it because they're just not interested. So there, that's your explanation.
#17bskiffingtonPosted 8/14/2013 10:33:08 AM
Mystical_NEET posted...
Mario RPGs = take effort and don't bring in tons of money.

Generic Mario rehash platformers = almost no effort at all and sell millions every time.

Don't bring in lots of money?

Sticker Star is a top ten selling 3DS game and Mario and Luigi Dream Team has already moved 200k units.
#18Maxx_the_SlashPosted 8/14/2013 10:36:28 AM(edited)
AceMos posted...
21_21 posted...
the_cajun88 posted...

You don't need Square, though, to make another Super Mario RPG. Most of the creativity behind Super Mario RPG was actually by Miyamoto, and Square just mainly helped out in developing.

sqr owns mallow geno ect

The game doesn't have to have Geno or Mallow in them. But it could have the same gameplay and isometric view and be set in the original game's version of the Mushroom Kingdom.

I hate that Nintendo wont make multiple party members in their Mario & Luigi games. I want large, custom parties. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Yoshi, Daisy and maybe even Wario should be standard selectable party members in all Mario-themed RPGs from now on, not just one or both of the Mario Bros. and that's it. And no random-ass Goombas with pony tails and pink Bob-Ombs and friendly Koopa Troopas like Paper Mario has. Characters we know, love and accept, please.

Also, I don't get why Nintendo doesn't own Geno or Mallow or Booster or the Smithy Gang. They can use Donkey Kong Country characters that Rare created for those games (Kremlings, K. Rool, etc.), but Geno and Mallow are a problem with Square Enix... how, exactly?
---
Opie & Anthony | Ron & Fez, XM 103/Sirius 206
AC:NL/3DS: 3222-5637-7984 (Name: Josh) | WiiU: Maxx_the_Slash | XBL: Maxx the Slash | PSN: Maxx_the_Slash
#19LightHawKnightPosted 8/14/2013 10:37:35 AM
bskiffington posted...
Mystical_NEET posted...
Mario RPGs = take effort and don't bring in tons of money.

Generic Mario rehash platformers = almost no effort at all and sell millions every time.

Don't bring in lots of money?

Sticker Star is a top ten selling 3DS game and Mario and Luigi Dream Team has already moved 200k units.

Cause Sticker Star is barely even an RPG and not even a Paper Mario game other than the fact that it has paper.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#20R_HunterPosted 8/14/2013 3:48:50 PM
Maxx_the_Slash posted...
AceMos posted...
21_21 posted...
the_cajun88 posted...

sqr owns mallow geno ect

The game doesn't have to have Geno or Mallow in them. But it could have the same gameplay and isometric view and be set in the original game's version of the Mushroom Kingdom.

I hate that Nintendo wont make multiple party members in their Mario & Luigi games. I want large, custom parties. Mario, Luigi, Peach, Toad, Yoshi, Daisy and maybe even Wario should be standard selectable party members in all Mario-themed RPGs from now on, not just one or both of the Mario Bros. and that's it. And no random-ass Goombas with pony tails and pink Bob-Ombs and friendly Koopa Troopas like Paper Mario has. Characters we know, love and accept, please.

Also, I don't get why Nintendo doesn't own Geno or Mallow or Booster or the Smithy Gang. They can use Donkey Kong Country characters that Rare created for those games (Kremlings, K. Rool, etc.), but Geno and Mallow are a problem with Square Enix... how, exactly?

1) Just because the characters are well known doesn't automatically mean that they'll be good. Writing is what determines how a party member is received, and just because you don't like them doesn't mean that PM's party members weren't well received. Further, it also doesn't mean that Peach and the others would be. I can agree with you on having larger parties, but then again the series IS called "Mario & Luigi."

2) Rare created the Kremlings for the series, so they are technically a part of the DK series overall, making them Nintendo's IP from the get-go. Geno and Mallow were created for a singular game, and as such no one foresaw that it would be as popular as it was, hence since Square was the main dev of the game, Square owns Geno and Mallow. Simple.
---
To be fair, the overall plot of the MGS series sounds like it was written by a 7 year old on amphetamines.-CrystalKing5426
Official Xion of the KHIII Board