The industry will not collapse, but the AAA business model will.

#1SegavsCapcomPosted 8/16/2013 3:13:07 PM
I don't believe companies are that stupid.
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
3DS FC: 1306-5920-0665 _PSN: SegavsCapcom
#2arvilinoPosted 8/16/2013 3:15:20 PM
I'd speculate AAA business model will continue until there's one just big third party publisher remaining.
---
"The fact of the matter is that we've been here constantly. We've been betraying peoples expectations, in a good way, for a long time."
#3Kromlech06Posted 8/16/2013 3:15:40 PM
Don't forget the On-Disc Paid DLC model, that needs to die too.
---
3DS FC: 2277-6801-3957
#4CyricsServantPosted 8/16/2013 3:16:29 PM
For some games, the AAA model works (e.g. The Last of Us, Bioshock: Infinite, Call of Duty: Whatever Edition, etc.), but yeah, when selling millions of copies can be considered a failure (e.g. Tomb Raider, Resident Evil 6, etc.) something is clearly wrong with the model . . . or at the very least, some developers can't make the model work for them.
#5Megaman OmegaPosted 8/16/2013 3:23:43 PM
CyricsServant posted...
For some games, the AAA model works (e.g. The Last of Us, Bioshock: Infinite, Call of Duty: Whatever Edition, etc.), but yeah, when selling millions of copies can be considered a failure (e.g. Tomb Raider, Resident Evil 6, etc.) something is clearly wrong with the model . . . or at the very least, some developers can't make the model work for them.

This. Good, elaborate games existed before millions had to be sold to be profitable. They also existed before DLC, online passes, excessive patching/installations, etc.
---
The PS3 is dead in Japan. - Sailor Goon
The Japanese don't like games such as Hot Shots Golf. - Sailor Goon
#6NyyarkPosted 8/16/2013 3:25:05 PM
The big question is will the AAA business model collapse before the Hollywood Blockbuster one does. They really are in a race to bankruptcy.
#7ElectricMolePosted 8/16/2013 3:27:01 PM
The studio spends what it can afford. Simple as that.

Some take big risks on terrible game ideas and they go under, but thats the industry for you.
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, 3DS: 2406-6466-8802
http://psnprofiles.com/kronekodow7188
#8IanNottinghamXPosted 8/16/2013 3:28:13 PM
The Triple A model is unsustainable look at what Microsoft tried to do. Because they dont make the money to offset the costs of development costs. Whats going to have to happen is 1 of 2 things. Triple A titles have to find a more efficient way of working with lower budgets or the industry needs to crash. How can any industry survive this way. Also factor in the fact that they make no money on used games. It wouldnt be so bad if their budgets for games didnt get so out of control. But they have to find a common sense answer to this issue.
---
Bd:AS FC 2407-8656-4589
#9ElectricMolePosted 8/16/2013 3:33:35 PM
IanNottinghamX posted...
How can any industry survive this way.

same way the movie industry survives. you have your indie movies, and you have the $15million movies, and everything inbetween.

they spend what they can afford. there is no set standard for a game production budget.
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, 3DS: 2406-6466-8802
http://psnprofiles.com/kronekodow7188
#10R_ChampPosted 8/16/2013 3:38:35 PM
arvilino posted...
I'd speculate AAA business model will continue until there's one just big third party publisher remaining.

I think something VERY similar to this is going to happen. The inflated dev costs are going to push most companies into bankruptcy and they'll then be continuously absorbed by larger companies until only a few "Mega" companies exist developing games.

And with the way things are going these companies are set to be Activision and EA...not a very comforting thought.

And people wonder why I favor Nintendo and PC...too many shooters at PS4 launch? Get ready for nothing but shooters and action RPGs once the AAA model is absorbed by these two giants...

EA absorbing Bioware was the first sign that this is going to happen. Bioware wasn't even a failing company and they were absorbed.