Does Nintendo think too "Japanese" sometimes?

#1Ritster21Posted 8/16/2013 7:02:36 PM
For example, on the 3DS, there is a mechanic called streetpasses. You pass by somebody else with a 3DS and you get cool little prizes for it.

In Japan, it is very easy to get streetpasses, possibly even hundreds a day, because Japan is so densely populated.

However, in the USA, streetpasses don't work as well here for the fact that the USA is less densely populated than Japan, and it is very difficult to get a streetpass.

Does the Wii U have this problem?

The Wii U's control pad has the mechanic of off TV play. This concept was brought up because sometimes somebody wants to watch something on TV, and you still want to play. So instead of turning off the Wii U, you can just play it on the controller somewhere else.

However, does anybody actually have this problem?

The majority of houses in the USA have more than 1 TV. There is one in the living room, and at least 1 more if not 2 in the bedrooms.

Does the Wii U off TV play work really well in Japan, because the majority of Japanese people only have 1 TV?

What about you guys? Does your household have more than 1 TV?

Have you ever actually had the problem of having to turn off your games because somebody else wants to boot you off?

I sure don't. I have 4 TVs. 1 in the living room, 1 in the master bedroom, and 1 in each of the 2 normal bedrooms.

Thoughts?
---
FC is 4038-6283-8425
#2SegavsCapcomPosted 8/16/2013 7:12:39 PM
Their design philosophy is very Japanese. I would mind a more Western philosophy as long as they stayed fun.
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
3DS FC: 1306-5920-0665 _PSN: SegavsCapcom
#3YoyokuKOPosted 8/16/2013 7:14:13 PM
yeah

sometimes its good, the other times its bad.
#4DiscostewSMPosted 8/16/2013 7:15:08 PM
The attitudes from most Western developers are disgraceful.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#5Baha05Posted 8/16/2013 7:16:03 PM
Those two issues seem to depend, while year the US isn't as densely populated there is still major cities.

And just because you own more then one TV doesn't mean that Off Play isn't less effective, especially since TVs vary a lot and you aren't suppose to move consoles around much (It's the same principle behind other devices connected to the TV)
---
"I will take the advice of PS3 over you, any day of the week. Especially, when you state that all aspect ratios are the same." Some Crazy Guy
#6gnomelord255Posted 8/16/2013 7:21:58 PM
The only places streetpass doesn't work is in rural areas, and if you never go outside. Ever. Nowhere. You stay in the house all day.
#7ChokusetsuPosted 8/16/2013 7:24:19 PM
And Microsoft is an american company that thinks too "american".

Is this a problem?

Your country isn't = the whole world.
---
De arimasu
#8Ritster21(Topic Creator)Posted 8/16/2013 7:25:44 PM
Chokusetsu posted...
And Microsoft is an american company that thinks too "american".

Is this a problem?

Your country isn't = the whole world.

That actually is a problem. It's why Xbox does not sell well in Japan.
---
FC is 4038-6283-8425
#9SyCo_VeNoMPosted 8/16/2013 7:26:26 PM
Umm Nintendo only thinks Japanese if you care to look at a map Kyoto (where their main office is located) just so happens to be in Japan. Hell go on that street view ap on the Wii U, and click Nintendo HQ and look at all the signs around they are in Japanese ;)

So as they are a Japanese company, and hardware i.s designed by Japanese engineers it would stand that Nintendo thinks not too Japanese, but just Japanese, and they only design what they know.

Side note from my understandings most Japanese families have multiple TV's quite like the vast majority of western homes. Its more then likely for people that want to have it hooked up to the biggest TV in the house so if someone wants to watch TV they can still play on the side.

For example my nephews (so very not Japanese) have theirs hooked up to their 62 inch TV in the living room. So if someone wants to watch TV while they play they get booted to handheld mode. They also happen to have a 34 inch TV in their bedroom, but they want it on the big TV. I would assume the same happens in Japanese homes so it is pretty universal.

Now street pass... thing is most times people turn off wifi to save battery so that's more then likely why its rare to get passes.
#10NovaLevossidaPosted 8/16/2013 7:26:38 PM
Of course they think too "Japanese." It's a global market but they basically make their hardware and features for Japan and their own game development. Sony's the easy example to point to for looking at the global market. By the same token, you could consider the Xbox in a lot of ways too "American."
---
-C- GET EQUIPPED WITH: [ ] KLOBB [ ] BFG
[ ] METAL BLADE [X] CUTSCENE MURDER PISTOL