Why does the fighting game community insist that SSB isn't a real fighting game?

#161MasterDarkenPosted 8/17/2013 10:11:22 PM
JBirdMusicLover posted...
Kromlech06 posted...
Mostly just to rile up easily rustled jimmies.

Works 90% of the time too.

THE HYPEST RUSTLING ON GAMEFAQS

Jimmy Rustling HYPE!
#162lordofthenlpplePosted 8/17/2013 10:14:19 PM
I love SF4 but I also hate it. Its a pretty hard game to play. I watch EVOs and stuff, but Im still not any good.
---
Liu Ye and Anais Martanehttp://english.cri.cn/mmsource/images/2009/07/06/4220xtylnliuye4.jpg
#163LightHawKnightPosted 8/17/2013 10:20:59 PM
lordofthenlpple posted...
I love SF4 but I also hate it. Its a pretty hard game to play. I watch EVOs and stuff, but Im still not any good.

It is the game, well that and every other SF game that my friends all kick my ass at... Never got really good at them. Hell one of my friends even has the arcade stick, to raise his win chance from 90% to 99.9999999%.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#164DEMONPANDA212Posted 8/17/2013 10:30:02 PM
Grizzmeister posted...
Super Smash Bros. is to fighting games what Mario Kart is to racing games.

Yup.

Serious fighters are 1 on 1 or 2 on 2 or 3 on 3, not 1 on 1 on 1 on 1.

They're also not flooded with items or stages that without warning, will appear/change to ruin your game.

I'd detest StreetFighter if Balrog picked up a PokeBall and a JiggylyPuff came out and put me to sleep, just intime for the stage I'm standing on to move and I fall to my death or the volcano behind me errupts firing lava at my face etc...

So again...

Grizzmeister posted...

---
3DS (XL) 4854-6425-2855
3DS (Zelda) 2320-6650-1378
#165cavebear56Posted 8/17/2013 11:30:44 PM
Kromlech06 posted...
Mostly just to rile up easily rustled jimmies.

Works 90% of the time too.

This.

Also elitism and a lack of the very basic idea of a thing known as a genre.
---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
#166nahor88Posted 8/17/2013 11:45:56 PM
Most people here have clearly never been part of the COMPETITIVE Smash scene.
I think Brawl is a piece of crap, but Melee is just as competitive as any Street Fighter or MvC game.
It's always 1v1 or 2v2, and you NEVER play with items.
The image of the game is ruined by the casual masses, and by Nintendo's marketing of the game.
The let it get on EVO, then tried to prevent it being streamed, and wouldn't back down until a huge petition was signed. All they care about now is $$$, not their devoted fans.
---
Project M FC: 4940-7491-6762
Eagerly Anticipating - Zelda Wii U, SSB Wii U
#167SquallAlmasyPosted 8/18/2013 2:12:09 AM
Ben Reilly posted...
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2013/jun/21/sakurai-says-smash-bros-isnt-fighting-game-completely-different-label-talks-game-development-fighting-genre-and-value-unpredictability/

" For example, I like to think of Smash as a four-player battle royal action game" - Sakurai

/TOPIC

So if Sakurai says Smash is a FPS would you also agree with him?
---
This pain's nothing... compared to what he's given up. - Edward (Full Metal Alchemist)
#168VyersPosted 8/18/2013 5:34:29 AM
DEMONPANDA212 posted...
Grizzmeister posted...

Yup.

Serious fighters are 1 on 1 or 2 on 2 or 3 on 3, not 1 on 1 on 1 on 1.

They're also not flooded with items or stages that without warning, will appear/change to ruin your game.

I'd detest StreetFighter if Balrog picked up a PokeBall and a JiggylyPuff came out and put me to sleep, just intime for the stage I'm standing on to move and I fall to my death or the volcano behind me errupts firing lava at my face etc...

So again...

Grizzmeister posted...

Did you consider using the Stage Switch to turn off stages that added random elements

Or did you consider using the Item Switch to turn off all items

Or did you consider that you don't have to play 1 v 1 v 1 v 1

Or did you realize that Jigglypuff was a playable character
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThankTheBear Subscribe for LPs of Pokemon Snap, The Legend of Zelda, Dragon Warrior, Super Mario Bros. 3, Bionicle, and more~!