You know what I like about Miyamoto's (or Nintendo in general) games?

#1HerPandaPosted 8/18/2013 8:02:27 AM
Games in their respective series follow a similar formula, while the core of the each game is extremely different from the other games in the same series. Look at Zelda, (main) Super Mario, Pikmin... you might absolutely love one game but hate others. There's enough differences in each entry that the fanbases are split; each game is similar but still its own beast.

I think it shows in a lot of Nintendo's stuff actually (I'm just more aquainted with Miyamoto's works), like Sakurai with Smash and Kirby. They're all so different, but they still feel like they belong in the same series. There's a lot to love (or hate) about each entry, and there's enough reason to want to play one over another or flip flop between them; they don't make each other completely obsolete or feel outdone/dated by their sequels if you're open minded to differences.
#2GoombePosted 8/18/2013 8:07:50 AM
inb4 Sony ponies call these games rehashes. (Oh the irony.)
---
If you hate Nintendo, you are either 12 years old and grew with Microsoft, or you dislike games in general. - SilverShadow881
#3DesperateMonkeyPosted 8/18/2013 8:39:34 AM
Um this is like saying CoD isn't the same "core" or Halo isn't the same "core" because they added different weapons, perks, skills (like call downs), equipment (bubble shields/jump packs), modes and take place in different settings with different weapons.

I have no idea why people think every little thing Nintendo changes is innovative while the same amount of changes or much bigger changes are considered rehashes for just about anything else.

Did DMC4 change its core? It has way bigger changes than the titles being listed. But its still clearly a DMC game...
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H
#4Banjo2553Posted 8/18/2013 8:43:14 AM
DesperateMonkey posted...
Um this is like saying CoD isn't the same "core" or Halo isn't the same "core" because they added different weapons, perks, skills (like call downs), equipment (bubble shields/jump packs), modes and take place in different settings with different weapons.

I have no idea why people think every little thing Nintendo changes is innovative while the same amount of changes or much bigger changes are considered rehashes for just about anything else.

Did DMC4 change its core? It has way bigger changes than the titles being listed. But its still clearly a DMC game...

The games must be different enough for there to be vastly different opinions. Like for Zelda, their favorite game could be ALttP, or OoT, or Wind Waker, or the Oracles, or...you get what I'm saying. For the other series you mentioned, there's generally a consensus on which game is the best or their favorite. For DMC, a lot of people really enjoy 3 and think it's the best. A lot of people consider CoD 4 the best one out of all the series.
---
Come see my game collection: http://www.backloggery.com/bakonbitz
#5HerPanda(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 11:07:26 AM(edited)
Well... I'm a fan of Call of Duty :P. They're solid FPS games best played splitscreen, but sadly most of the fun comes from playing online, which makes older entries more obsolete than newer entries. The difference here with Nintendo's stuff is that 20 years from now I can't recommend MW3, while I can still recommend SMW or Majora's Mask.

-Black Ops has good maps + the amazing Nuketown, fun party modes (no radar one in the chamber), fun variety of weapons with a Zombie mode I enjoy (as opposed to BO2's zombie mode) and a solid offline bot game system. It also has the Python, which has become my favorite pistol in any FPS.

-MW3 has poor to good maps and extremely boring weapons in comparison aside from the Riot Shield, but Infection alone makes it worth it; it's such a fun mode. The way killstreaks are handled is nice. Kill confirmed was a great addition as well. However, no bots, so once the online goes bad so does this games replay value.

-BO2 has good maps, but something about it just felt a little too samey tbh, and party games are pretty nerfed in comparison (radar in OiTC, dislike). The pick 10 class system is extremely awesome though. The bots are back and you can kind of pick what weapons they get. I didn't like Zombies here though (fire on the ground).
#6DesperateMonkeyPosted 8/18/2013 8:31:49 PM
Banjo2553 posted...
DesperateMonkey posted...

The games must be different enough for there to be vastly different opinions. Like for Zelda, their favorite game could be ALttP, or OoT, or Wind Waker, or the Oracles, or...you get what I'm saying. For the other series you mentioned, there's generally a consensus on which game is the best or their favorite. For DMC, a lot of people really enjoy 3 and think it's the best. A lot of people consider CoD 4 the best one out of all the series.

Completely false... I love DMC4 the best. Many people love DMC1. More people like DMC3 but thats just a bandwagon. DMC3 is the "best" DMC as in OoT is the "best" Zelda game and SMG is the best 3D and SMB3 is the best SMB game and so on.

As for CoD, this must be a bad joke. There is a whole camp of people who think Infinity is garbage and that Treyarch is better. Very few poeple think CoD4 is the best as far as I know. It was only the beginning of its super popularization. Tons of people prefer the WWII setting in WaW, many people think the black ops series is superior and many think the Modern Warfare series is superior. Many people who think the first MW's were good thought 3 was crap. Many people think CoD4 was completely crap but MW2 was awesome.
---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H