Will the 9th generation consoles have backwards compatibility?

#1TransdudePosted 8/18/2013 8:26:03 AM
Topic
---
Steam ID: jessegames1996 | 3DS FC: 2750-1600-2747 | NNID: Transdude1996 | Live GT: Transdude1996
http://www.youtube.com/user/transdude1996
#2SolnotPosted 8/18/2013 8:27:21 AM
I will let you know in 2018. Check back then, ok?
#3cs_shanePosted 8/18/2013 9:13:39 AM
They will if MS and Sony stick to x86 for their 9th gen consoles. That's the main reason why PS4 and Xbox One don't have BC. Try emulating the cell or powerpc on x86. Yes, PowerPC can be done (Rosetta on Mac) but, we're talking about graphic intensive games, not simple apps.
#4cs_shanePosted 8/18/2013 9:14:33 AM
cs_shane posted...
They will if MS and Sony stick to x86 for their 9th gen consoles. That's the main reason why PS4 and Xbox One don't have BC. Try emulating the cell or powerpc on x86. Yes, PowerPC can be done (Rosetta on Mac) but, we're talking about graphic intensive games, not simple apps.

Why no edit button? Of course Nintendo will, but for MS and Sony, see my own quoted post.
#5DiscostewSMPosted 8/18/2013 10:02:22 AM
cs_shane posted...
cs_shane posted...

Why no edit button? Of course Nintendo will, but for MS and Sony, see my own quoted post.

New User.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#6SlimeSwayzePosted 8/18/2013 10:08:18 AM
cs_shane posted...
They will if MS and Sony stick to x86 for their 9th gen consoles.

Pretty much this. You can tell that Sony is really trying to correct their mistakes with the PS3, and part of that is getting as far away from the cell processor as possible. That's a good thing in terms of ease of development on the PS4, but it also means that there is no way that there will ever be traditional BC on the PS4, thanks to the PS3's crazy architecture. We'll see if Gaikai streaming will make it possible. But yes, if the PS5 uses a similar architecture to the PS4, then BC may very well be a possibility.

My guess is that the next Nintendo system will not be BC, because I don't expect the next Nintendo console to use the Gamepad.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#7lp913Posted 8/20/2013 1:35:48 PM(edited)
SlimeSwayze posted...
cs_shane posted...
They will if MS and Sony stick to x86 for their 9th gen consoles.

Pretty much this. You can tell that Sony is really trying to correct their mistakes with the PS3, and part of that is getting as far away from the cell processor as possible. That's a good thing in terms of ease of development on the PS4, but it also means that there is no way that there will ever be traditional BC on the PS4, thanks to the PS3's crazy architecture. We'll see if Gaikai streaming will make it possible. But yes, if the PS5 uses a similar architecture to the PS4, then BC may very well be a possibility.

My guess is that the next Nintendo system will not be BC, because I don't expect the next Nintendo console to use the Gamepad.

Just like how the Wii U doesn't use Wii Remote/Nunchuck/Classic Controller/Balance Board/Wii Wheel, and how the 3DS doesn't use the touch screen like the DS/DSi did, right? RIIIIGHT..............
---
[NNID: LPLETHAL79]
[3DS FC: 0645-5794-3020]
#8Enigma149Posted 8/20/2013 1:34:12 PM
Probably.

The PS5 and Xbox Two should easily be capable of backwards-compatibility, provided they keep the x86 architecture, which they should do (it's possible that, by that point in time, it'll be possible to create powerful consoles on ARM, or power will no longer be the main focus of a new console, but even then, given how long game companies used Power PC, I can't see them changing again so quickly). As for whether they will, or not...that all really depends upon whether Gaikai's "BC" is successful. If it is, don't get your hopes up. Naturally, if gaming switches to a different storage medium (either DD-only or something not based on a 120mm optical disc), BC will be impossible.

Nintendo will probably switch to either x86 or ARM in the next generation, but even then, they might include some form of emulator-based backwards compatibility. It should easily be possible, given the Wii U's power and the simplicity of emulating its architecture (compared to, say, the Cell).
---
MOS 6510 @ 1.023 MHz // MOS VIC-II 6567 // 64 kB RAM // 20 kB ROM // 3ch MOS 6581 SID // 1541 FDD // Datasette
3DS: 4897-5935-1924; NN, Steam: CrimsonEnigma
#9WhiteKilla666Posted 8/20/2013 1:35:10 PM
Most likely, Sony is the one that popularized BC and only didn't include it in the PS4 because of the stupid Cell processor.
---
*~If you love HPL and have accepted him as your lord and savior and are not afraid to show it make this your signature~*
#10Tsutarja495Posted 8/20/2013 1:50:18 PM
Nintendo's next handheld should, since I don't see them dropping the highly successful dual screen/touch screen concept. I don't know about the home console though, if the Wii U never recovers they will likely drop the Gamepad and go back to motion controls as the sole focus or try a new gimmick.
---
I'm not a gamer, I'm a Nintendrone. Here's proof I live to serve Nintendo:
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee371/Anonymous987654321/HNI_0030.jpg