Nintendo and Monolith Soft should remaster or release Xenoblade for the Wii U.

#1EternalWolfPosted 8/18/2013 4:54:30 PM
Should Nintendo and Monolith Soft release Xenoblade as a Wii U title? - Results (48 votes)
Yes. A high quality remastered/HD version/port would only take a month or so to develop with a small budget and team.
47.92% (23 votes)
Yes. It should be released as a Virtual Console title within the next two weeks.
22.92% (11 votes)
No. The game was just released in 2012 and only costs $150 new online or $90 used at GameStop, if you can find it.
29.17% (14 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I'm just going to respond to the most common arguments for re-releasing or remastering Xenoblade for the Wii U.

1.) Xenoblade is already available and fully playable for the Wii U via Wii Mode.

While this is true, it was only sold on Nintendo's Online Store, which few people use to buy games or even know about, and it was sold new at GameStop for a week or two. GameStop didn't even try to stock the game and most of their copies were used, even though they were sold as new. As a result, very few people who play video games knew about the game when it was released and those who did know about it had a very short amount of time to buy it new. After that, the only thing that was available were extremely overpriced used copies at GameStop or extremely overpriced new and used copies online. The reason I use the word overpriced is because the game wasn't even out for a year before the price went up, whereas it would have gone down or stayed the same if it was actually made available to consumers who use more than one retail store or online store to shop.

2.) Xenoblade would take too long or cost too much money port or remaster to the Wii U.

It wouldn't take more than a week for it to be fully playable as a Wii U game. All it requires is input drivers for the GamePad, compatibility drivers for the OS and changing everything that says "Wii" in-game to "Wii U", which isn't much. The game itself would require no changes in the code or renderer and would actually play and perform better on the Wii U than the Wii. Unlike porting a PS2 game to PS3 or PS3 game to 360, there are very little changes in the architecture that need to be accounted for, that would cause problems in porting the game.

A quick "HD Version" would take a bit longer depending on what they wanted to change. If it was simply changing the native resolution to 1920x1080 then that wouldn't take long at all, the graphics would be much improved plus there would be no need to add Anti-Aliasing. Adding or increasing Anisotropic Filtering wouldn't take long at all either, which would provide an even better visual experience. GamePad integration wouldn't take long at all if they they did was add off-screen play. These are all very simple, quick additions that would insure the game runs far better than the original and looks significantly better. This is what a port of the game should be, like most "HD" versions of games from the previous generation. It only takes a couple weeks to actually develop, look to developer interviews like the one Santa Monica did for the God of War HD Collection.

An actual remastered version, including everything mentioned above plus more, could take anywhere from a months to a year to complete pending on the size of the team. Re-texturing all of the models would take a very long time to do as would making new meshes, but there really is no need to do what Square is doing with Final Fantasy X as the textures and models are much better in Xenoblade than that of Final Fantasy X. There is also no need for any audio additions as well. Really, there are only a couple of things that might need to be addressed for a remastered version. One is syncing the voices, which would take a long time. The other is making the most common animations better, which would only take a couple of months. The next is full GamePad integration, which would take a couple of weeks. Stuff like moving the menus on the GamePad and adding touchscreen capabilities.

In the end, an HD Version with full GamePad integration would be very cheap to produce and only take a month to actually develop. It would cost more money and take longer to manufacture the game for retail than it would be to develop it.

3.) Nintendo and Monolith Soft are busy and don't have time to port or remaster it for the Wii U.

They wouldn't have to do it. All the additions mentioned are so easy to do that fans could complete it for free if given the tools. It would be a very small project.
#2NovaeGamerPosted 8/18/2013 5:03:22 PM
....They simply sould rerelease some more copies in the US; I really don't see any reason that Nintendo doesn't just print some more for the US market.....
in the rest of the world the game isn't really rare

I mean demand is obviously there sooooooo.....
(However HD remake is absolutely unnecessary;)
#3mashuPosted 8/18/2013 5:47:47 PM(edited)
Oh god no. It would take way, way more than a small team, a low budget and a month or two to remaster Xenoblade for an HD quality release. Omg. No sense of project development cost.

Same goes for a VC release on a non-remastered version. Easier than a remaster? Certainly, but more work than a couple weeks.

Having said that - hell yeah! I'd buy an HD remastered Xenoblade, even though I own an original launch copy. I'm waiting for X before buying a Wii U, as I want to buy something I really want when I get the console, and there's nothing out there yet that makes it worth it for me to buy it. If they released a remastered Xenoblade before X, I'd buy it and a Wii U to play while I waited for X. I'd love to play Xenoblade again and play it on HDTV. That would be awesome.

Not going to happen anytime soon though. All their energies are on getting X out as soon as possible. Guaranteed. They wouldn't spin off a team to do this until X was in post-production and next to being released in Japan. It would be nice to see a sort of remastered edition Director's Cut, with a few better replay options, maybe a difficulty setting and a new secret thing or two. Depending on Xenoblade's continued popularity and success, as well as X's, maybe it could happen - but look way, way down the road, in a galaxy far, far away.

NovaeGamer posted...

Play it widescreen? Play it huge with better resolution? Those things are unnecessary?? I rather disagree, myself. I wouldn't buy it again if it wasn't a remaster, but I would if it was. That's just me though. ;-)
#4notmudkipPosted 8/18/2013 5:36:20 PM
Nintendo don't want to swallow its pride.
#5distr0iaPosted 8/18/2013 5:39:31 PM
It would be a nice treat for people who are simply unable to play the game

I'm lucky my friend has a copy
#6EternalWolf(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2013 7:19:59 PM
mashu posted...
Oh god no. It would take way, way more than a small team, a low budget and a month or two to remaster Xenoblade for an HD quality release. Omg. No sense of project development cost.

Same goes for a VC release on a non-remastered version. Easier than a remaster? Certainly, but more work than a couple weeks.

NovaeGamer posted...

Play it widescreen? Play it huge with better resolution? Those things are unnecessary?? I rather disagree, myself. I wouldn't buy it again if it wasn't a remaster, but I would if it was. That's just me though. ;-)

Every single GCN and Wii game has been fully functional on Wii U ever since the console was released. There is no emulation, there is no need for any extra development time whatsoever. They could release every Wii game ever made as a digital download for the Wii U tomorrow and it would work flawlessly. Same for GCN, all they need to do is customize the input drivers, which literally takes minutes to do. Games on other consoles would take far longer to port to the Wii U than any GCN or Wii game.

All they have to do to make Xenoblade "HD Quality", as in better quality than Final Fantasy X HD Remaster, is up the resolution to 1920x1080. You know how long that takes to do? Literally seconds. Along with that we will get better texture streaming, better framerates, far more detailed and less jagged game assets.

However, if they were to port Xenoblade to PS3/PS4 then we are talking about a long development time with a decent sized team. They would have to change a lot of the source code just to make it compatible on the OS, then they would have to change even more to overcome any errors in the renderer and scripts.

"HD" is exactly that, a better version in quotes. It's better because the native resolution is bigger. Some HD versions don't even fully support widescreen formats and still run in a 4:3 ratio. Xenoblade is already fully playable in widescreen and the game already supports HD resolutions. There are only three reasons we cant play Xenoblade in HD on consoles right now. One is obviously because the Wii doesn't support resolutions higher than 640x480, another is because the Wii Mode OS does not change the native resolution of any games(for universal compatibility). The third reason is that the developers locked Xenoblades resolution, just like every single developer does with every single console game.

Just like PC games, console games support different resolutions, it's built in the games engine. However, consoles all use the same hardware, so developers only use one resolution to make the game look and run the best it can. If they wanted to, they could have released Xenoblade running in 1920x1080 or whatever native resolution they choose to. However it wouldn't run on the Wii for two reasons. One is because the Wii isn't powerful enough to downscale that resolution to 480p(also doesnt support 720p or 1080p), the other is because the Wii isn't powerful enough to get a stable framerate at that resolution.