To what extent do you base your purchases on reviews?

#1ThaxagoodnamePosted 8/18/2013 9:18:42 PM
Like lets say Pikmin 3 got 6s across the board but, you were really excited for the game prior to seeing reviews. Would a score keep you from actually purchasing the game?
#2Mobius1RisingPosted 8/18/2013 9:22:50 PM
i pick with my heart not what some reviewer says.
---
My favourite game is Okami.im also a fan of the Hyperdimension Neptunia series,& Ace combat.my favourite female characters are Leifang Momiji & Samus.
#3HermeticJusticePosted 8/18/2013 9:27:32 PM
bad reviews don't scare, 3 6s do

LOL JK, if I love the game and looked it up enough to understand some things about it and wisely decide whether I'd want or not, I'll pay for it
---
The Official Kerberos of the SMT IV Board + Friend Code: 4983 - 6166 - 9895
QVODSVPERIVS.MACROPROSOPVS + QVODINFERIVS.MICROPROSOPVS
#4zerooo0Posted 8/18/2013 9:29:02 PM
Youtube Video reviews. I don't really pay any attention from like IGN, Gamespot, Gamesradar, Gametrailers, etc but I go to the Youtube reviewers that I seems like he gives an honest opinion.

I only pay attention to the score if it's low like 1-5/10 and that's only if it's reported from lots of people. Then I do more research wait for it to release & watch videos to make a better educated decisions.

If I do check out IGN or Gamespot reviews that's mostly to get a quick overview of a game & to see if they report any bugs/game breaking glitches which if they do then I do more research to see how common those can be.

I don't normally let reviews dictate what I buy, but I use them as guides to get an impression of the game if it seems like something I will want to buy & it's safer to me than impulse buys.
---
Starwars Battlefront+Destiny+Titanfall+Battlefield 4+Halo 5=Me in FPS heaven for these next few years.
#5lgiPosted 8/18/2013 9:29:07 PM
If a reviewer mention technical flaws with a game, or complain about the the length,depth, and replay value of a game, I might wait for a price drop on a game.
#6Crazy_tank51Posted 8/18/2013 9:39:29 PM
I trust reader and Youtube reviews more than pro reviews. They actually play the games for fun and not a paycheck.
---
Sega is what EAin't.
3DS: 3909-7785-1874 (Crazytank*) Steam ID: CrazytankXD
#7ElectricMolePosted 8/18/2013 9:42:15 PM
I bought NMH, lollipop chainsaw, and am buying Killer Is Dead.

Do I care about reviews?
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, 3DS: 2406-6466-8802
http://psnprofiles.com/kronekodow7188
#8Kromlech06Posted 8/18/2013 9:56:27 PM
Nearly zero.
---
3DS FC: 2277-6801-3957
#9LightHawKnightPosted 8/18/2013 9:57:38 PM
Somewhere around -10. I do my own research and watch gameplay videos instead of crap reviews.
---
The Official Odin of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board.
"You know how confusing the whole good-evil concept is for me."
#10DesperateMonkeyPosted 8/18/2013 10:04:41 PM(edited)
Most people who say they don't listen to reviews are full of ****.

If a game gets unanimously bad scores, there is no reason NOT to question it, especially if you are dropping down $60. A game that you may have wanted that scores like 6's across the board will have you go from "insta buy!" to "ok I need to know whats wrong!" which often leads to a non-purchase. Reviewers are pretty consistent and only idiots cannot tell if they like a game from reviews since they reading a few of them will give you a lot of details about the game.

On the other hand, if you were super excited for a game and then it gets 9's across the board, you are likely to go buy it day one.

Of course listening to reviews hardly is just about the number. Journey for exameple, has great reviews, but I didn't buy it because those same reviewers said it was only 2 hours. Too expensive for such a short "Journey".

Exceptions exist but Reviewers are pretty accurate most of the time. Accurate being they are consistent and predictable.

---
GT: ZiiX360 PSN: BoxFighter85
PC: i7 930@4Ghz | EX58 UD5 | GTX 460 SLI | 8GB DDR3 | 500GB Spinpoint | Vertex 2 180 SSD | Cooler Master HAF X | VG236H