Do Metroid fans victimize themselves too often?

#1uberking422Posted 8/20/2013 4:12:13 AM
With some of the topics I see about the series treatment by Nintendo, you'd think the series received less attention than stuff like Star Fox and F-Zero. People claiming that Nintendo doesn't remember the series exists, that it was completely destroyed by Other M, that it isn't represented well enough in Smash Bros., that Nintendo of Japan hates America for making the Prime games and has vowed to destroy the series out of spite... With so many complaints, you'd think that it didn't get 2 new console games, two new handheld games, and a compilation release over the course of a single generation!
#2STN79Posted 8/20/2013 4:28:00 AM(edited)
Nah people are just butthurt that Other m wasn't what they expected. If they got their way Metroid would just die a horrible death and be forgotten. Metroid isn't even close to being as forgotten as Star fox and F-zero. I doubt very much despite some of the negative reaction to the latest game that Nintendo will just abandon the series. I don't think team Ninja will do another one anyway so for those who just hated other m don't worry. It'll be different next time but who's to say if it'll be better recieved.
#3ChokusetsuPosted 8/20/2013 4:27:18 AM
Yes. Yes they do.

But I do hope we get a new Metroid game soon, so people can shutup about Other M "killing" the series.
---
De arimasu
#4CSplitterPosted 8/20/2013 4:36:22 AM
I'm not sure if it "killed" the series but it certainly toned down the attention given to Metroid in the past 3 years. Starting with 2002, Metroid was getting a new release frequently, with one year-ish being the maximum gap.

But Metroid has gone 8 years without a release and came back strong so I wouldn't worry that much.
---
TakayaNoriko: Back in my day, we pressed buttons that didn't do anything because we thought it would give us special power-ups. And that's the way we liked it!
#5uberking422(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2013 4:36:25 AM
Chokusetsu posted...
Yes. Yes they do.

But I do hope we get a new Metroid game soon, so people can shutup about Other M "killing" the series.

I do too. I like the series and want it to continue, but the people who proclaim the death of the series give the impression that they've never before see a good series of games get a bad, or even subpar sequel. Other series have come back from far worse than Other M.
#6STN79Posted 8/20/2013 4:43:01 AM(edited)
There was a three year gap before between Prime 3 and Other M. Plus that aforementioned 8 year hiatus after super Metroid. When it's been closer to 10 years then we can start to worry. Star fox and F-zero haven't had a new game in about that long.
#7uberking422(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2013 4:51:39 AM
STN79 posted...
There was a three year gap before between Prime 3 and Other M. Plus that aforementioned 8 year hiatus after super Metroid. When it's been closer to 10 years then we can start to worry. Star fox and F-zero haven't had a new game in about that long.

Thus, my point. If Metroid had been getting games and spinoffs every year before falling off the face of the Earth (like, say, Mega Man) it might be a cause for alarm, but considering the series' historically sporadic release schedule, a three year gap hardly seems to merrit the kind of fuss it gets. Especially when, according to some Metroid fans, three years between releases is too soon. At least, if it's a series other than Metroid. *cough*DonkeyKong*cough*
#8STN79Posted 8/20/2013 5:03:57 AM
It's better to take a few years off now and then anyway rather than releasing a new game every six months like call of duty or something. Oversaturation would ruin the series for sure. You wouldn't want Metroid to turn into a yearly affair with all kinds of spin offs and party games now would you?
Let samus take a break for a while. I think she's earned it. We'll see her again. You never know what Nintendo's elves are working on. Could be a new game next year for all we know.
#9CSplitterPosted 8/20/2013 5:09:47 AM
STN79 posted...

Metroid Prime trilogy came out in 2009 so I counted that, too. But yeah, I'm not that worried about if there's a new release but how that new release will play like.
---
TakayaNoriko: Back in my day, we pressed buttons that didn't do anything because we thought it would give us special power-ups. And that's the way we liked it!
#10CranberryPSOPosted 8/20/2013 7:44:16 AM
Kid Icarus went a long time before it got a new game. Sometimes fans are kept waiting a long time.
---
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 2