Do Metroid fans victimize themselves too often?

#11SuperPunx64Posted 8/20/2013 7:52:56 AM
Yeah Metroid fans treat Other M as some vicious disease when it's just one subpar game in an awesome series. There were even some people on the Smash WiiU board seriously mad they used the Other M design of Samus just because it was from Other M.
---
DANGANRONPA COMING TO VITA IN 2014! http://i.imgur.com/cFr7CDp.jpg
3DS: 1418-6790-0913 (Reg)
#12John_MagnumPosted 8/20/2013 8:10:18 AM
What are the two new handheld games? Are you counting Metroid Prime Pinball?
#13uberking422(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2013 8:10:50 AM
SuperPunx64 posted...
Yeah Metroid fans treat Other M as some vicious disease when it's just one subpar game in an awesome series. There were even some people on the Smash WiiU board seriously mad they used the Other M design of Samus just because it was from Other M.

Yeah, just this morning I got into and argument with this jackhat whining about the game having an Other M stage, and possibly using Other M Ridley. I questioned why it seems to be Metroid fan law that you can't be positive, or at least neutral about ANYTHING from that game, and he countered with some nonsense about me fishing for things to like or approve of, while maintaining that his rabid hatred of everything in the game was completely rational, forcing me to respond with a detailed summary about my mixed feelings regarding the game as a whole. And because it took me way more time than I should have to write said summary, I'll repost it here, so at least someone can appreciate my nonsensical ramblings:

You want me to talk about the game, and how everything in it just HAS to suck? FINE!

I thought the scene before the Ridley fight was completely stupid. I thought Samus constantly narrating in that terribly dull voice was stupid. I thought the "authorization" thing was stupid in a number of parts (She has to be told to turn on the Varia Suit in a volcano?) and acceptable in others (Yeah, she probably SHOULDN'T nuke everyone on the ship with a Power Bomb. I thought the plotlines with MB and the Deleter were stupidly anticlimactic. I thought they could have had something with Samus's backstory involving her past with the federation and Adam could have had something, but was just kind of poorly handled and never went anywhere. I thought the first person investigation segments were awkwardly forced.

HOWEVER! I thought the overall gameplay was solid enough, and the controls worked well enough, though probably would have been better with a nunchuck option. The fights with tougher enemies were pretty cool, though the close range stuff could have been fleshed out better. The concentration/recovery mechanics were actually pretty neat, and Morgan Webb is a disgrace to feminists everywhere for trying to use it as additional evidence to the games sexist undertones. While I missed the exploration, I felt the linear feel of the main game actually worked pretty well. Most of the bosses were pretty cool, and when I got over how stupid the scene leading up to it was, the Ridley fight was especially cool. I also really liked the fights with Nightmare and Phantoon, although I'm not quite sure why the latter showed up at all. The few scenes where Samus got to defy "authorization" were pretty cool. And Anthony Higgs was an awesome character.
#14uberking422(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2013 8:11:39 AM
John_Magnum posted...
What are the two new handheld games? Are you counting Metroid Prime Pinball?

Yes, that and Hunters.
#15NovaLevossidaPosted 8/20/2013 8:19:54 AM
This is what I hate about Nintendo franchises. They can go a decade or more without a release. I absolutely hate that.
---
-C- GET EQUIPPED WITH: [ ] KLOBB [ ] BFG
[ ] METAL BLADE [X] CUTSCENE MURDER PISTOL
#16TheLazyClownPosted 8/20/2013 9:36:52 AM
uberking422 posted...
SuperPunx64 posted...

Yeah, just this morning I got into and argument with this jackhat whining about the game having an Other M stage, and possibly using Other M Ridley. I questioned why it seems to be Metroid fan law that you can't be positive, or at least neutral about ANYTHING from that game, and he countered with some nonsense about me fishing for things to like or approve of, while maintaining that his rabid hatred of everything in the game was completely rational, forcing me to respond with a detailed summary about my mixed feelings regarding the game as a whole. And because it took me way more time than I should have to write said summary, I'll repost it here, so at least someone can appreciate my nonsensical ramblings:

You want me to talk about the game, and how everything in it just HAS to suck? FINE!

I thought the scene before the Ridley fight was completely stupid. I thought Samus constantly narrating in that terribly dull voice was stupid. I thought the "authorization" thing was stupid in a number of parts (She has to be told to turn on the Varia Suit in a volcano?) and acceptable in others (Yeah, she probably SHOULDN'T nuke everyone on the ship with a Power Bomb. I thought the plotlines with MB and the Deleter were stupidly anticlimactic. I thought they could have had something with Samus's backstory involving her past with the federation and Adam could have had something, but was just kind of poorly handled and never went anywhere. I thought the first person investigation segments were awkwardly forced.

HOWEVER! I thought the overall gameplay was solid enough, and the controls worked well enough, though probably would have been better with a nunchuck option. The fights with tougher enemies were pretty cool, though the close range stuff could have been fleshed out better. The concentration/recovery mechanics were actually pretty neat, and Morgan Webb is a disgrace to feminists everywhere for trying to use it as additional evidence to the games sexist undertones. While I missed the exploration, I felt the linear feel of the main game actually worked pretty well. Most of the bosses were pretty cool, and when I got over how stupid the scene leading up to it was, the Ridley fight was especially cool. I also really liked the fights with Nightmare and Phantoon, although I'm not quite sure why the latter showed up at all. The few scenes where Samus got to defy "authorization" were pretty cool. And Anthony Higgs was an awesome character.

This
---
I am the one who knocks! ~ Walter White
https://www.facebook.com/HipsterDrGero
#17rindainPosted 8/20/2013 7:24:12 PM
I think Metroid fans aren't so much worried about the 3 year gap, but more worried that there will never again be an amazing Metroid game because of Sakamoto.

Other M made a lot of changes to gameplay, story, mood, graphics, and level design that most Metroid fans believe go against what makes the series so great.

But Sakamoto is in charge of Metroid. If he wants these changes, and they came from his heart of hearts (as he's indicated in interviews), then he'll never allow another Metroid game that is NOT similar to Other M.

So enjoy your linear, story-driven, two-button using Metroid games.
#18SyCo_VeNoMPosted 8/20/2013 7:36:16 PM
The only victims from the travesty that was the Other M are the people who bought it, and all the old Metroid games that it systematically took a bloody diarrhea all over for the entire length of the game.

I will admit though it was definitely something spectacular as even the sony fans on this board couldn't pack as much fail into one of their troll posts about the Wii U then Sakamoto packed into that game. The game could be used as a teaching aide for people in script writing, and design classes as how not to make something.
#19retrogoodsPosted 8/20/2013 7:45:29 PM
SyCo_VeNoM posted...
The only victims from the travesty that was the Other M are the people who bought it, and all the old Metroid games that it systematically took a bloody diarrhea all over for the entire length of the game.

I will admit though it was definitely something spectacular as even the sony fans on this board couldn't pack as much fail into one of their troll posts about the Wii U then Sakamoto packed into that game. The game could be used as a teaching aide for people in script writing, and design classes as how not to make something.

Haven't I seen this posting in a different topic regarding Metroid?
---
Nintendrones and RPG freaks make me sick to my stomach. You're not true gamers. Play other genres without being biased you freaks.
#20rindainPosted 8/20/2013 7:56:32 PM
Maybe we should start sending these threads to Nintendo. Hey, it worked for Project Rainfall (kinda).