What makes Rayman such a big deal?

#1promo123Posted 8/20/2013 10:20:46 AM
Some people are even saying it's the best platformer ever. I played the three levels on the challenges app and all they did was bore me. I couldn't believe that there was actually a part where I just moved things with the gamepad while the game did the platforming for me.

I feel like there's something that I'm either missing or that the app just isn't showing me, because I enjoy platformers but that just wasn't fun.
---
Everybody's havin' a good time with Poppy Bros!
#2KingTremoloPosted 8/20/2013 10:24:53 AM
Rayman: Origins was a very, very fine game with appropriate challenge to make you die a few times but not rage hard.

Personally, I love these newer 2D Rayman games simply because the original Rayman was just about the first video game I've ever played (even though we had an NES, I never really played it.)

The music is very charming, and the platforming solid. It's much better with multiplayer. The teamwork required for your friend platforming and you controlling the gamepad is charming.
---
i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHz/4 GB DDR3 Ram & 1600 mhz(soon to be upgraded)/HIS 7770 GHz edition (soon to be upgraded)/Gigabyte Z77-DS3H/Cooler master Elite 430
#3SegavsCapcomPosted 8/20/2013 11:54:17 AM
The presentation in the new Rayman games are fantastic. I also like the new trial and error gameplay.
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
3DS FC: 1306-5920-0665 _PSN: SegavsCapcom
#4slymshadyPosted 8/20/2013 3:04:39 PM
Origins was solid. People are so hard for it because most expected it to be trash, but it turned out good
#5IokuaPosted 8/20/2013 3:05:40 PM
Nothing really, except, y'know, that illusory concept known as "fun". What video games are supposed to be.
---
Welcome to gamefaqs, where poverty is an illegal activity.
#6promo123(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2013 6:23:23 PM
Iokua posted...
Nothing really, except, y'know, that illusory concept known as "fun". What video games are supposed to be.

But what‘s fun about moving things while the game does the platforming for you? Also, I kind of find the Black Betty level annoying.
---
Everybody's havin' a good time with Poppy Bros!
#7FrizzurdPosted 8/21/2013 10:17:02 AM
Rayman<Dynamite Headdy
#8TerotrousPosted 8/21/2013 10:18:44 AM(edited)
It's directed by Michel Ancel, who is one of the best game designers in the business. There's nothing inherently amazing about Rayman or the concept behind his game, but Legends and Origins are extremely well put together.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "NES Yume Penguin Monogatari"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#9WillWarePosted 8/21/2013 10:19:35 AM
Why should we explain to you why we like something when you very clearly dislike it and will not be affected in any way by our opinions?
---
I'm not exactly "normal." Hope this isn't a problem.
Welcome to GameFAQs, where we go from zero to derailed in three posts.
#10SlimeSwayzePosted 8/21/2013 10:21:03 AM
I appreciate that the developers put a lot of effort into making the games look great, try new things, and have a lot of variety. They aren't just reusing the same template with every game, which is the feeling I've gotten from 2D Mario games. I'm hoping that Rayman and the new DKCR help me forget the disappointment I felt with NSMBU.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.