With the current generation of video games coming to a close....

#11Skill4ReelPosted 8/20/2013 1:01:17 PM
Fisto81 posted...
Wii Sports. Say what you will, but Wii Sports was THE disruptive force in gaming this generation. Nobody saw that one coming.

I have to agree. Although I did also spend an enormous amount of time last gen playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2.
#12Enigma149Posted 8/20/2013 1:02:19 PM
PSOLavis posted...
Enigma149 posted...
PSOLavis posted...
Go2Church posted...
What do you think is the game of the generation? I'd say Super Mario Galaxy, it's not my favorite game of the generation, but it was certainly the most progressive game in my eyes. A true innovative force in gaming.

A lot of people are going to say TLoU, haven't played it so I can't say how good it is. So I would say to me the game of the gen was Bioshock Infinite.

It was...okay.

Admittedly, since I don't own it, I wasn't able to finish the game. But from what I did see, it was quite a good game, but not a GOTG contender.

Honestly then you have no opinion on it. The game is about the immersion you get and the story, mixed in with solid gameplay. Playing some of it you don't get the experience.

My mistake. I had no idea I had no opinion of it.

Here, I thought that my views on whether or not the game was a contender for GOTG was an opinion, and my opinion that a GOTG should be good reguardless of whether you play all or a part of it (like those I listed), but I guess not.
---
MOS 6510 @ 1.023 MHz // MOS VIC-II 6567 // 64 kB RAM // 20 kB ROM // 3ch MOS 6581 SID // 1541 FDD // Datasette
3DS: 4897-5935-1924; NN, Steam: CrimsonEnigma
#13_Sovereign_Posted 8/20/2013 1:06:28 PM
SegavsCapcom posted...
Uh...

*head explodes from overabundance of good games*

While I agree there were good games last gen, there weren't exceptional games or rather, games that we'll remember in 20-30 years like we do today...or at least I won't. Could probably count on both hands how many titles I'll actually remember in 10 years. There really wasn't anything that spectacular.
---
I do not return to topics. I say my peace and move on. If you draw issues with what I say, then by all means, inbox me.
#14PSOLavisPosted 8/20/2013 1:11:06 PM
Enigma149 posted...
PSOLavis posted...
Enigma149 posted...
PSOLavis posted...
Go2Church posted...
What do you think is the game of the generation? I'd say Super Mario Galaxy, it's not my favorite game of the generation, but it was certainly the most progressive game in my eyes. A true innovative force in gaming.

A lot of people are going to say TLoU, haven't played it so I can't say how good it is. So I would say to me the game of the gen was Bioshock Infinite.

It was...okay.

Admittedly, since I don't own it, I wasn't able to finish the game. But from what I did see, it was quite a good game, but not a GOTG contender.

Honestly then you have no opinion on it. The game is about the immersion you get and the story, mixed in with solid gameplay. Playing some of it you don't get the experience.

My mistake. I had no idea I had no opinion of it.

Here, I thought that my views on whether or not the game was a contender for GOTG was an opinion, and my opinion that a GOTG should be good reguardless of whether you play all or a part of it (like those I listed), but I guess not.

Clearly I offended you, and for that I am sorry. As I said earlier though, playing part of a game, especially a game about the story does not give you an opinion on the game. It gives you an opinion on the part of the game you played. You seem to have a misunderstanding on opinions. E.g. I have never had caviar, therefore I can not have an opinion on the taste. Having part of the experience of caviar is smelling it, but if I only smelled it, I would only have an opinion on the smell. Do you understand the concept of opinions on something you can actually do better now?
#15Enigma149Posted 8/20/2013 1:15:29 PM
PSOLavis posted...
Clearly I offended you, and for that I am sorry. As I said earlier though, playing part of a game, especially a game about the story does not give you an opinion on the game. It gives you an opinion on the part of the game you played. You seem to have a misunderstanding on opinions. E.g. I have never had caviar, therefore I can not have an opinion on the taste. Having part of the experience of caviar is smelling it, but if I only smelled it, I would only have an opinion on the smell. Do you understand the concept of opinions on something you can actually do better now?

That metaphor almost made sense...except for one thing - smelling caviar to develop an opinion of its taste is different from playing a part of a game to develop an opinion on that game.

Or, to put that in a way you might understand...

Say you have a bowl of caviar soup. You can develop an opinion as to how good caviar soup is if you've only had a third of the bowl of soup, just as I can develop an opinion as to how good The Last of Us was despite not playing the entire game. Sure, you may not have gotten the "full experience" of eating an entire bowl of caviar soup, but you should still have enough of an experience to develop an opinion.

Now do you understand how someone can develop an opinion on something without actually finishing it?
---
MOS 6510 @ 1.023 MHz // MOS VIC-II 6567 // 64 kB RAM // 20 kB ROM // 3ch MOS 6581 SID // 1541 FDD // Datasette
3DS: 4897-5935-1924; NN, Steam: CrimsonEnigma
#16Go2Church(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2013 1:17:39 PM
IMO TLOU was great, but the gameplay was nothing revolutionary. Maybe GOTY, maybe. We'll see.
---
Everybody seeks happiness! Not me, though! Thats the difference between me and the rest of the world. Happiness isnt good enough for me! I demand euphoria!
#17nonexistingheroPosted 8/20/2013 1:57:55 PM
It's kinda tough for me to choose between Xenoblade, Dark Souls and Ninja Gaiden 2 (not the inferior Sigma 2), so I won't. But nothing else comes close to these.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#18nonexistingheroPosted 8/20/2013 2:01:19 PM
Enigma149 posted...
PSOLavis posted...

That metaphor almost made sense...except for one thing - smelling caviar to develop an opinion of its taste is different from playing a part of a game to develop an opinion on that game.

Or, to put that in a way you might understand...

Say you have a bowl of caviar soup. You can develop an opinion as to how good caviar soup is if you've only had a third of the bowl of soup, just as I can develop an opinion as to how good The Last of Us was despite not playing the entire game. Sure, you may not have gotten the "full experience" of eating an entire bowl of caviar soup, but you should still have enough of an experience to develop an opinion.

Now do you understand how someone can develop an opinion on something without actually finishing it?

That analogy isn't right. If you only eat a 3rd of that bowl, you'll still taste the caviar soup. You'll experience the entire taste. But that's not the case for a game. Playing it for an hour doesn't mean you experienced the whole game. Sure, you can have a credible opinion about a game if you haven't finished it, but the analogy isn't right.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#19Tsutarja495Posted 8/20/2013 2:02:08 PM
Wii Sports is the best overall, by virtue of sales. My favorites for each system are Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii and Final Fantasy Tactics A2 for the DS.
---
I'm not a gamer, I'm a Nintendrone. Here's proof I live to serve Nintendo:
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee371/Anonymous987654321/HNI_0030.jpg
#20snae99Posted 8/20/2013 2:02:09 PM
Mass Effect (the first one) easily. Super Mario Galaxy is a close second.

Geez, this was the worst generation I've been a part of...
---
Currently playing: Dragon Age: Origins and Dynasty Warriors 8
GOTY so far: Fire Emblem Awakening