What ever happened to the term "Console-style RPG"?

#1TransdudePosted 8/20/2013 10:30:16 PM
I'm not trying to cause an argument, I'm just asking a question.

Earlier with the Ubisoft topic, this one:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/67024773

People where debating what a WRPG and JRPG was, but looking the the genre listings on Gamefaqs, using PC because it has the highest amount of games:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/list-48

They have listing like "Console-style" and "PC-style", but not WRPG and JRPG. What happened to those terms?
---
Steam ID: jessegames1996 | 3DS FC: 2750-1600-2747 | NNID: Transdude1996 | Live GT: Transdude1996
http://www.youtube.com/user/transdude1996
#2Kromlech06Posted 8/20/2013 10:35:31 PM(edited)
Baldur's Gate II is a very different monster from Dark Souls, yet both are RPGs.

Isn't that interesting?

I agree though, the classifications for games have gotten way out of hand in the last generation. Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing.
---
3DS FC: 2277-6801-3957
#3PSI_IKEPosted 8/20/2013 10:37:37 PM
Yeah, console style and PC style make a lot more sense
---
Now listen to the bell, with my face flashing crimson from the fires of hell...
So what are you afraid of, and what are you made of?
#4thejectPosted 8/20/2013 11:24:23 PM
Blame Square for the death of JRPG.

They lost their way when they thought they were being innovative.
---
"Since this game rely on micro transaction when people leave for mop this game will be I survive."
#5philamikePosted 8/20/2013 11:42:58 PM
Really, both sets of terms are pretty bad. I would prefer just using terms like turn-based or real-time, action or strategy, etc. However, as long as one understands what the terms are referring to, it shouldn't be as big of an issue as everyone is making it out to be.

Also, I don't think theject read the the op.
---
You don't have time to ponder such questions, as Bruce Willis has just grabbed a jet plane.
#6GoombaXPosted 8/20/2013 11:44:38 PM
theject posted...
Blame Square for the death of JRPG.

They lost their way when they thought they were being innovative.

1 2/3 of a game made by them were bad
---
Currently Playing: MvC 2(PS3), M&L: DT, Demon Souls(PS3), Star Ocean :Last Hope International (ps3), Pikmin 3
#7ZanderKaboosePosted 8/20/2013 11:54:28 PM
Lies.

Anything past 10-2 have been awful IMO, in the FFverse

I can't think of another game of theirs I wanted to play... I did just play Radiata Story again, was surprised I didn't know it was theirs. They should follow up.

I miss turn based...
---
See my opinion is superior because I refuted your statement without actually arguing anything. ~JDM_Jev
#8GoombaXPosted 8/20/2013 11:55:32 PM
ZanderKaboose posted...
Lies.

Anything past 10-2 have been awful IMO, in the FFverse

I can't think of another game of theirs I wanted to play... I did just play Radiata Story again, was surprised I didn't know it was theirs. They should follow up.

I miss turn based...

no
---
Currently Playing: MvC 2(PS3), M&L: DT, Demon Souls(PS3), Star Ocean :Last Hope International (ps3), Pikmin 3
#9EoinPosted 8/21/2013 12:18:53 AM
The terms "console-style" and "PC-style" fell out of popularity when "PC-style" RPGs began appearing on console, and "console-style" RPGs started appearing on PC.

Besides, basing a genre on the kind of machine that a game appears on is about as silly as basing it on where the game is created.
#10UponADarkThornePosted 8/21/2013 12:25:20 AM
The X-Box happened.

Some video game journalist who never played a role-playing game outside of Final Fantasy VII was told to review Morrowind by his boss and realized that other sorts of RPGs exist. Unfortunately, he didn't see that the game was the third Elder Scrolls game and decided to call this brand new and exciting genre a "Western" role-playing game as opposed to a "Japanese" role-playing game.

You know, despite since the NES years, people have been calling the games that followed the footsteps of Ultima "computer-style" RPGs and games that were created in the style of Dragon Quest "console-style" RPGs.

I personally hate the modern terms, since games like Etrain Odyssey get labelled "JRPG" despite the fact it's very much a dungeon crawler and Dark Souls get called a "Japanese developed WRPG" despite the fact that it's a ****ing action RPG, plain and simple. If people just actually gave a **** enough to realize the genre is far more varied than a mere two terms can describe...