Super Mario Sunshine - One of the best or one of the worst?

#1amldPosted 8/22/2013 12:51:12 AM
I see a lot of Sunshine love here. While I did like the game, there was no main series Mario game that disappointed me like Mario Sunshine did. Here are the main pros and cons in my opinion:

Pro:
Great graphics.
Possibly the greatest control system for Mario himself, Felt like a much more fluid SM64.
Very Challenging, Very long game to 100% (if not nigh impossible).

Cons:
The Island theme was all over the game, the levels did not feel very different at all. This also applies to the soundtrack which had pretty much 3 main themes in different variations and not much else.
To 100% the game you pretty much have to have an open guide at all times as many of the secrets are hidden randomally at best.
While the graphics were good, the visual style was boring (imo).
Worst Voice acting in a Mario game, and that's saying something! Baby bowser and flood were making my ears cry.

So tell me, of all the games, why do so many people want Nintendo to Remake this one specifically?
#2soarcadiaPosted 8/22/2013 12:57:00 AM
Out of the 3d marios, it's easily the worst. It's still a great game.
---
Skies of arcadia>>>>>>>>>>> final fantasy 7. Games: nintendo>sony. Tvs: samsung>sony
#3Craig--aPosted 8/22/2013 1:01:07 AM
Its not amazing but its better than any of the "new" series.

I dont think Nintendo should be remaking anything though, they arent going to sell consoles with old games in HD.

Maybe in a few years time but at least get something out to make people say "wow! that makes me want a wii U" first.
#4Rayze_DarrPosted 8/22/2013 1:01:30 AM
Allow me to give my own Pros and Cons list, as someone who believes that Super Mario Sunshine is the greatest game in the entire Mario franchise.

Pros:
- Graphics were colorful and appealing, making great use of shadows and other lighting effects
- Water effects were absolutely stunning for their time
- Voiced cutscenes
- The story was simple, but engaging and a bit disturbing (She's your mama? o-o;)
- F.L.U.D.D. added unique gameplay elements
- Great use of different island-themed settings, keeping the game feeling tropical yet varied
- Creative boss battles (Wiggler is my favorite, just as an F.Y.I.)
- The worlds changed and evolved as you played them (Sirena Beach is my absolute favorite in this regard)
- Many unique Shine Sprites (The Great Sand Bird, the F.L.U.D.D.-less platforming sections, the burning hot Chain Chomps)
- Huge, fully explorable worlds (which the Galaxy games both lack, imho)

Cons:
- Blue Coins were tedious
- Repeated "Slime Piranha" battles
- The last level takes an insane difficulty curve jump
- Why does Yoshi melt? T-T

Remember that this list is my opinion, and disagreeing with it will do nothing to change my mind. This is simply the reasons why I, personally, believe Super Mario Sunshine to be the greatest thing ever associated with the Mario multiverse.
---
3DS FC: 5327 - 0902 - 3469
New Leaf Dream Address: 5500 - 2146 - 0428
#5TalentedMPosted 8/22/2013 1:03:40 AM
amld posted...
I see a lot of Sunshine love here. While I did like the game, there was no main series Mario game that disappointed me like Mario Sunshine did.

So tell me, of all the games, why do so many people want Nintendo to Remake this one specifically?

I don't think people are looking for a remake, I think they are hoping for a sequel of it. Of which there is a difference.

I would fall into this category of people who would want a sequel of the game, the island setting/theme was enjoyable to go to and explore the different levels. It did a lot of things right and to me very few things wrong.

Exploring the idea that Mario can travel to other distant locations and isn't stuck in just the Mushroom Kingdom is nice. Flood was a bit annoying, but was a great tool and gave mario a little more mobility in the world and it felt right.

I personally found that game to be one of the more relaxing games to play (Mario wise). The setting was relaxing, the levels were built around various parts of the island and themed correctly, the music was inviting and gave you that "summer" kind of feel. It really did something different where when I played Galaxy 1&2 I felt like I had to push on and it wasn't as explorable.

Out of the 3D mario games I found it to be closest to Mario 64 in terms of how much I enjoyed my time playing it vs. me feeling like I have to get through this level.

Then again, I might just be a sucker for games that give you certain feelings. Like when I look at the beach levels for Sunshine it brings me to the beach with the sights and sounds.... It was just relaxing and fun, something I would not mind feeling again. It is actually hard to knock any of the main Mario games really, I am a pretty big fan of Mario in general and I feel like they all have something to offer someone.
---
Since this game rely on micro transaction when people leave for mop this game will be I survive. - MageGuyInfinity
#6manmousePosted 8/22/2013 1:11:44 AM
why does it have to align with an extreme judgement?

it's a good game.
there we go.
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b18HMqJW5A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt1-XWiMveY
#7GensokyoPosted 8/22/2013 2:01:57 AM(edited)
Loved every part of it, but I still think it's the worst of the console 3D Mario games. It was great, but the other ones were better.
#8mjc0961Posted 8/22/2013 1:59:29 AM
amld posted...
I see a lot of Sunshine love here. While I did like the game, there was no main series Mario game that disappointed me like Mario Sunshine did.

Ah, so you haven't played Super Mario 3D Land yet. On one hand, you should as it would change your mind, but on the other, the game sucks so you probably shouldn't.
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#9SugarFlakesPosted 8/22/2013 4:04:28 AM
SMS is my favorite so far. I loved them all though.

Haven't played 3D Land. Is it really that bad?
---
Fish sticks are yummy ._.
#10Rayze_DarrPosted 8/22/2013 4:21:39 AM
SugarFlakes posted...
SMS is my favorite so far. I loved them all though.

Haven't played 3D Land. Is it really that bad?

3D Land is actually quite good, it's just not what the fanbase expected or wanted. I enjoyed it for what it was, but it's not as good as most of the other 3D Marios (I say "most" because I recently replayed Super Mario 64 and found it it has aged... well... horrendously, in my opinion).
---
3DS FC: 5327 - 0902 - 3469
New Leaf Dream Address: 5500 - 2146 - 0428