Most milked series?

#1PaperDolphinPosted 8/24/2013 1:49:33 AM
Obviously Angry Birds is #1 but I don't consider that a game so what game series is milked the most? I'd say EA sports games.
---
Waddle Dee and Toad for SSB4!
#2gameryoshiPosted 8/24/2013 1:54:32 AM
PaperDolphin posted...
Obviously Angry Birds is #1 but I don't consider that a game so what game series is milked the most? I'd say EA sports games.

I'm tempted to say NSMB, but there's only one on each console. EA wins this topic.
#3DeathSoul2000Posted 8/24/2013 1:55:45 AM
CoD. There is no other answer.
#4digiblasterPosted 8/24/2013 1:56:13 AM
Most games using a single IP? Mario. Regardless of how you look at it, he's in hundreds of games (even though they are pretty varied).

Milked in that there are lots of games in a short period of time? CoD or EA Sports games. Without fail, there's a yearly release, and it's very rare that they add a significant amount to the game each iteration.

Saying 'milked' is a bit vague - there are many reasons a series could be considered milked, and it's not necessarily a bad thing. Having a lot of games isn't necessarily bad, if they're all different (and still fun). Quick releases aren't great, but again, variety can make this okay. A series could be milked by releasing more sequels than there should be. Finish off a trilogy? Brilliant - but let it die, don't carry on making them.

At the end of the day, with games costing so much to develop, it's important to give your game some brand recognition. People say it here all the time - Mario games wouldn't sell nearly as well without Mario. People like Mario, and therefore will buy those games. A lot of people would be a bit more hesitant to buy a game in a brand new series, even if the game is the same as it would be with Mario.
---
Yeah, that's a problem games had back then. You actually had to get good at them. - Mctias
#5PaperDolphin(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2013 1:59:20 AM
The thing with Mario is...Nsmb2 and NsmbU were milking it. Most Mario games tend to be fairly original. They don't just rehash the exact same thing over and over. They keep what works and improve on it.
---
Waddle Dee and Toad for SSB4!
#6digiblasterPosted 8/24/2013 2:08:43 AM
PaperDolphin posted...
The thing with Mario is...Nsmb2 and NsmbU were milking it. Most Mario games tend to be fairly original. They don't just rehash the exact same thing over and over. They keep what works and improve on it.

They weren't hugely original games, but NSMB2 added the coin collecting aspect (to a questionable degree of success), and NSMBU added Boost Mode.

Neither of them are groundbreaking innovations, but each console has had a NSMB game, and no more. The fact that they released so close together is what makes people cry about 'rehashes' but in reality, we aren't going to see another one for at least 4-5 years.
---
Yeah, that's a problem games had back then. You actually had to get good at them. - Mctias
#7badboyPosted 8/24/2013 2:12:37 AM
Pokemon
#8toto2379Posted 8/24/2013 5:09:34 AM
Mario Party, excluding Mario Party 9.
#9WhiteKilla666Posted 8/24/2013 5:12:33 AM
Mario.
---
Posted using GameFlux
#10trenkenPosted 8/24/2013 5:28:20 AM
CoD
Street Fighter
Madden