Why do Sony and M$ fans think COD and The Last Of Us = mature?

#71HayashiTakaraPosted 8/24/2013 10:12:52 AM
Truth be told TLoU is pretty mature, it's games that just have tons of gratuitous violence, crude language, and sexual suggestion as it's grab point are Immature games. They're rated M because this country (USA) still runs on a Puritan Christian mindset.
#72Godstriker8Posted 8/24/2013 10:19:48 AM
Fisto81 posted...
guedesbrawl posted...
what i want to know is why TLOUS is the new COD. i never played it, and i am sure most of it's bashers didn't too. it's getting blamed for the sake of being blamed.

Just another game that think's its all "mature" because it has so much blood and swear words. OMG so mature!

It's considered mature for its nuanced and thought provoking story (one that you no doubt would be unable to fully appreciate), as well as its brutal and some say uncomfortable violence.
---
I'm just dickin aroouunnnd
SHAKE AND BAKE!
#73CranberryPSOPosted 8/24/2013 10:35:42 AM
The problem is that a lot of people confuse "Accessible to all ages" to mean "Kiddie."

Mario games are typically accessible to pretty much anyone. You can enjoy a Mario game if you are 7 years old. You can enjoy a Mario game I you are 77 years old.

A "Mature" game is a game that has themes and situations that you probably don't want certain ages seeing.

Games that have really graphic portrayals of violence, sex, and a lot of blood are something most parents probably don't want their 7 year old seeing. Such things can be traumatic to kids of that age and can have psychological affects on them. There are definitely some types of games that simply are not appropriate for younger ages. This doesn't mean that these mature games are "better" than family friendly games. It's simply a different type of game with different types of themes.

Nintendo usually goes more towards family friendly than mature. Not exclusively, they do have some mature games, but its not their normal style. Of course there are 3rd party publishers that put mature games on Nintendo consoles too, so even if Nintendo themselves isn't making a lot, there are still mature games on the Nintendo consoles.
---
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 2
#74cavebear56Posted 8/24/2013 10:36:12 AM
Godstriker8 posted...
Fisto81 posted...
guedesbrawl posted...
what i want to know is why TLOUS is the new COD. i never played it, and i am sure most of it's bashers didn't too. it's getting blamed for the sake of being blamed.

Just another game that think's its all "mature" because it has so much blood and swear words. OMG so mature!

It's considered mature for its nuanced and thought provoking story (one that you no doubt would be unable to fully appreciate), as well as its brutal and some say uncomfortable violence.

It's about on par as a Dean Koontz novel but nowhere near thought provoking in a sense like Don Quixote or Dante's Inferno. Which is entertaining enough.

Or it's the equivalent of The Walking Dead (hard edged and forced maturity) but still nowhere near Breaking Bad (maturity better portrayed. Every character displays maturity isn't a constant).

It deals in "fantasy" maturity. Or how some think maturity should be (appearance/edgy and "dark") rather than what it actually is (substance/conduct and themes).

Vanquish and SotD are still mature despite more comedic angles and terrible writing. They deal with themes just the same. Binary Domain does as well. Yakuza series does a better job than TLoU in regards to thoughtful and mature (at least as many on this board feel mature means).

I thought the strong point of TLoU was the gameplay, a couple of the set pieces and I enjoyed the crafting aspect (though it was simple). It did many things well but nothing great that other games haven't already done before it.
---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
#75Oni_TaedoPosted 8/24/2013 10:42:24 AM
HeroC114 posted...
It wasn't made to be mature...

It's made because the story drives the dialogue there.

I remember buying Conker's Bad Fur Day at the age of 11, and thinking to myself what the point of the M on the front of the box was, as the lady at Gamestop tried to deter my mother from allowing me to buy it myself.

I even told her... "M for mature? It should be marked I for immature!!"

This.

The Last of Us, while a terrible game, is deserving of it's M rating.
Sure the dialogue is riddled with swears, and the game has it's fair share of blood and gore, those are all there because the story calls for it.

You have infected (not zombies, as zombies DO NOT RUN), infected were people, people bleed, thus when an infected is shot, it should also bleed.

If TLoU isn't mature, neither is RDR, and RDR is one of the most mature games out there.

It's coming to the point, while I love Nintendo, their fanbase seems to be a bunch of idiotic manchildren who are even MORE immature than the CoD fanbase of which they try to berate at every turn.

Yes, the CoD fanbase is whiny and annoying, now that we've gotten over THAT, let's turn our attention to everything else.
---
TvC Friend Code: 4598-2098-0537
PSN ID: Oni_Ishida
#76FenderMasterPosted 8/24/2013 11:15:25 AM
Oni_Taedo posted...
HeroC114 posted...
It wasn't made to be mature...

It's made because the story drives the dialogue there.

I remember buying Conker's Bad Fur Day at the age of 11, and thinking to myself what the point of the M on the front of the box was, as the lady at Gamestop tried to deter my mother from allowing me to buy it myself.

I even told her... "M for mature? It should be marked I for immature!!"

This.

The Last of Us, while a terrible game, is deserving of it's M rating.
Sure the dialogue is riddled with swears, and the game has it's fair share of blood and gore, those are all there because the story calls for it.

You have infected (not zombies, as zombies DO NOT RUN), infected were people, people bleed, thus when an infected is shot, it should also bleed.

If TLoU isn't mature, neither is RDR, and RDR is one of the most mature games out there.

It's coming to the point, while I love Nintendo, their fanbase seems to be a bunch of idiotic manchildren who are even MORE immature than the CoD fanbase of which they try to berate at every turn.

Yes, the CoD fanbase is whiny and annoying, now that we've gotten over THAT, let's turn our attention to everything else.

This guy is also a well known nintenyearoldtroll
---
http://www.jvp-boston.org
#77mjc0961Posted 8/24/2013 12:00:13 PM
Fisto81 posted...
The truth is, those games are the most immature of all. You are immature and insecure if you feel like you can't enjoy a game of Nintendo Land or Mario Kart because it looks too kiddy. Those games are every bit as challenging and complex as any dudebro turd shooter Ive played.

Don't confuse immature games with immature gamers. The Last of Us is actually quite mature. Maybe you should try playing it instead of being one of the immature gamers you're whining about in this thread.
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#78FatalyzePosted 8/24/2013 12:43:48 PM
TLoU has many mature themes, and a mature story. Why do Nintendo fanboys think it's not a mature game simply because it has gore and coarse language?
---
3DS Friend Code: 3024-5304-6395
Nintendo Network ID: Fatalyze666
#79Fisto81(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2013 3:58:15 PM
LOL at all the hate in this thread.

Bottom line is that the sign of true maturity is when you can make a great game and tell a great story WITHOUT all that blood and swearing trying to make it seem "edgy".

Sorry Sony fans but I'm just not interested in TLOU
---
If you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and aren't ashamed to show it, put this as your signature.
#80FenderMasterPosted 8/25/2013 5:52:10 AM
Fisto81 posted...
LOL at all the hate in this thread.

Bottom line is that the sign of true maturity is when you can make a great game and tell a great story WITHOUT all that blood and swearing trying to make it seem "edgy".

Sorry Sony fans but I'm just not interested in TLOU

Bottom line is you're a liar and a troll. You haven't played it. You haven't seen a friend play it. You know nothing about the game. You just saw a trailer and decided to come here and troll people. Mission accomplished.
---
http://www.jvp-boston.org