Wii U Owners, a few honest questions

#1iovandrakePosted 8/24/2013 12:10:20 PM
1: How much does the Wii U controller add to your gaming experience?

2: What about if there are multiple people playing with you?

3: Do you think that if Nintendo had not focused their system on a controller again that they might be doing better?

Please no trolling or insulting answers.
#2NovaLevossidaPosted 8/24/2013 12:14:23 PM

It doesn't. I don't like looking away from the TV for maps or inventory as opposed to bringing up a menu on the TV. Both take me away from the action, and I'd prefer to just look at the TV. Asynchronous multiplayer is one thing, but no game that does it interests me.

The one time I tried, it backfired. Turns out that you can only use the gamepad to play in boost / assist mode in New Super Mario Bros. U instead of using it as a regular controller to play as another character. Thus, I would be forced into buying a third controller or digging through storage for a Wii remote. Not cool. Otherwise, my friends and I all play games online, and the gamepad adds nothing to that experience.

3: Do you think that if Nintendo had not focused their system on a controller again that they might be doing better?

It would have dropped the price certainly to make it the budget option, but the way things are going, the controller, even if they're not really doing anything with it, is just about the only unique feature the console has to sell itself over the competition. Complicated problem, no simple solution.
---
-C- GET EQUIPPED WITH: [ ] KLOBB [ ] BFG
[ ] METAL BLADE [X] CUTSCENE MURDER PISTOL
#3WillWarePosted 8/24/2013 12:23:47 PM
1. It depends on the game. Some games use the Gamepad really well, and others don't. The really good ones are really immersive.

2. See 1. Asymmetrical gameplay is good if the game uses it well, and it's not if it doesn't.

3. Nope.
---
I'm not exactly "normal." Hope this isn't a problem.
Welcome to GameFAQs, where we go from zero to derailed in three posts.
#4Hirokey123Posted 8/24/2013 12:28:20 PM
iovandrake posted...

Please no trolling or insulting answers.

1.When it's used well I've thoroughly enjoyed it, and honestly a second screen in general should just be mandatory for systems it's such a nicer way of controlling inventory and map space. Not to mention I enjoy being able to have the luxury of triggers and gyroscopic aiming. I've actually enjoyed the Off-TV play quite a bit to.

2.That's actually when it shines best, the fact I've not once yet had to deal with split screen is freaking wonderful I hate split screen. It makes Games like Sega-all stars racer so much better when I've got a full screen.

3.Nope they had two big issues which is games and advertising. Sales would be much better if they would get some proper advertising so people know the WiiU is a new system not a Wii peripheral. The other issue is the game drought, a system will never do well until it has games and in addition to having a year long drought they've been tight lipped on game updates and release dates making people irritated and their patience thins. Which then spreads by word of mouth hurting sales.
---
I've got a quote that embodies you perfectly, but it's seventy-three posts long, has a few massive flowcharts, and lots of Xion-KMA to Me
#5kdognumba1Posted 8/24/2013 12:34:44 PM

Depends on the game and how its used. Many times it's used like the DS/3DS bottom screen with inventory management which can help on screen clutter. That purpose is pretty split among people as some want it to be as close visually as they need it, others don't want it taking up the screen.

One personal thing that I like is when its used as a separate viewing mode to see what's going on in the world but combines it with motion to give an extra feeling of 3D space. For instance, Zombi U, Batman Arkham City, and Resident Evil revelations have this and it's almost like having the device they use as an extra form of interaction.

Another feature that I'm fond of is the off screen play, which doesn't work in every game, but when it does work, it's quite nice. Sometimes my cousin will come over and want to use my 360 and it makes it easy for me to keep doing what I was doing on my Wii U while he plays Halo. Another nice feature is being able to use the Wii U's browser from the gamepad screen allowing me to look things up while in my bed without needing to go to my computer while still in the middle of a game while somebody else is playing 360 or PS3 in my room.

This really depends on the game. Sometimes the Wii U pad will act as my own separate screen while letting them play on the big screen, other times it allows me to bring in people who aren't gamers to play a game and help us out such as when I played NSMB U with family. It's actually quite nice for local multiplayer.

It's hard to say. Last time they didn't focus on doing something new control wise was Gamecube which I'm sure Nintendo didn't want to emulate again. Not that Wii U is off to a great start, similar to 3DS, but that wasn't as much about the hardware as it was about the lack of software following up the launch. I think if we would of saw all the games that were "supposed" to be out around launch com out the way they were originally planned, including all the cancelled ones, Wii U wouldn't be in the situation it's in.
---
backloggery: http://backloggery.com/kdog254 twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kdognumba1
3DS: 1676-3698-5986 PSN: jotaroxtreme NID/XBL: kdog254 Steam: kdognumba1
#6TransdudePosted 8/24/2013 12:37:18 PM

Nothing impressive yet, but then again, I only have 3 retail games (NL, JD4 & NFS). So far, the most impressive feature I like is the off TV play. Also, NL does use the gamepad in interesting ways

Can't comment on this because I'm the only one who really plays on the Wii U.

Mostly no because of the off-TV play (enough said right there) and because the features used on the DS would be a god-send for consoles.
---
Steam ID: jessegames1996 | 3DS FC: 2750-1600-2747 | NNID: Transdude1996 | Live GT: Transdude1996
http://www.youtube.com/user/transdude1996
#7woody71Posted 8/24/2013 12:39:38 PM
iovandrake posted...
1: How much does the Wii U controller add to your gaming experience?.

alot off tv play is a big plus for me aswell as the internet browser wich practicly makes my old laptop useless

nintendo land is awesome with my friends and 2 player cod without splitscreen is awesome

doubt it i think recession + no good games are the biggest reason for that
---
to the Grammar Police!-\/
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1062/50947440.gif
#8EastCoastKodyPosted 8/24/2013 12:45:00 PM
1: Alot.....sometimes it adds to the experience. Sometimes it IS the experience.

2: As long as ppl aren't dropping it......i have no prob taking turns w/ the gamepad. I've had 2 drops...but luckily they weren't long falls...and my carpet is so plush right now.

3. Nintendo innovates. They are not complacent. They have no interest in being middle of the pack. Resting on their laurels. They are all about giving us new, fun gaming experiences.
#9segagamerPosted 8/24/2013 2:09:58 PM

I love it, its very comfortable. Quick Touch inventory and the map are worth it alone.

Don't know. Only one gamepad is allowed. Everyone else uses Wiimotes.

No, then they would have needed MOAR POWER. That's not Nintendo's philosophy.
#10the_cajun88Posted 8/24/2013 2:20:15 PM
1. I like it. Off TV play is awesome (I can play a console game in another room), and it has some cool implications (like that shuriken throwing game in Nintendo Land). I'm sure that it will be used more creatively in the future.

2: Wiimotes as of now.

3: Nintendo's in this situation is because they didn't release enough games, not because of the controller.
---
University of Tennessee Alumni
http://i.imgur.com/jC1P9wo.jpg