Why would anyone pay more for eShop games

#1Freakzilla5Posted 8/25/2013 8:05:17 AM
than alternatively picking up the physical copy at a lesser price?
#2Yelnam-26Posted 8/25/2013 8:09:32 AM
Don't know. Not much people do it anyway.
---
'We've been sitting here since Christmas 1914, during which millions of men have died, and we've moved no further than an asthmatic ant with heavy shopping.
#3guedesbrawlPosted 8/25/2013 8:12:34 AM
Laziness.

depending on where you live, it might be cheaper.
---
Here's hoping that Chrom will do Aether correctly in SSB4...
#4cavebear56Posted 8/25/2013 8:15:11 AM
Uninformed consumers.

Sony still does this with the PS3 and have been for years. It's laughable.

It's also most likely contractual obligations.

You are aware that hard copies purchased from your local stores are already purchased and at that point the stores adjust prices accordingly.

This is the only reasonable action I could understand from Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.

Of course it could just be utter ignorance and a my first point, taking advantage of the uninformed consumer.
---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
#5kdognumba1Posted 8/25/2013 8:21:16 AM(edited)
Convenience is the first thing that comes to mind. Some people don't like having a ton of boxes for games and just want everything digitally, others don't feel like leaving their house to buy something or waiting for something to be shipped.

Another perk when it comes to buying stuff from the eShop CN coins and the DDP, both of which you get if you buy things digitally on Wii U, which could also factor into why people buy things digitally.

Personally, I look at total price when buying games and prefer to have the case but have no problem buying games digitally regardless what system we're talking about. Most of my PC games are digital.
---
backloggery: http://backloggery.com/kdog254 twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/kdognumba1
3DS: 1676-3698-5986 PSN: jotaroxtreme NID/XBL: kdog254 Steam: kdognumba1
#6MARl0Posted 8/25/2013 8:31:48 AM
I prefer digital over physical these days. I just have way too many game cases/boxes lying around. There's a limit to how many games I can realistically store in my house before it becomes ridiculous, and frankly it has already reached that point.

Plus my iPhone spoiled me when it comes to having all my games easily accessible in my main menu, instead of having to switch discs all the time.

I have actually avoided buying some games that don't have a digital copy option at this point.
---
Currently playing: Ace Attorney Trilogy HD (iPad) / Tales of Xillia (PS3)
#7SyCo_VeNoMPosted 8/25/2013 8:42:12 AM
cavebear56 posted...
Uninformed consumers.

Sony still does this with the PS3 and have been for years. It's laughable.

It's also most likely contractual obligations.

You are aware that hard copies purchased from your local stores are already purchased and at that point the stores adjust prices accordingly.

This is the only reasonable action I could understand from Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.

Of course it could just be utter ignorance and a my first point, taking advantage of the uninformed consumer.

You are somewhat right
The MSRP never changes it will be the same no matter what, and Nintendo(as well as other companies) can't undercut the physical copy in price with the digital as its probably some anti competitive clause. Plus how many stores would even stock games if they say sold the digital copies for $10-20 less? If they did that those would cut into the sales of the ones in the stores.
Only reason a store can change the price to what they want is they already bought it to sell so its theirs. They can give them away if they felt like it cause they paid for it.
Now years down the line when its no longer made then I guess they could change the price (depending on the contracts)

So its not really uninformed consumers