What point is there in buying a Wii U when XB1 and PS4 are coming out soon?

#1JohnConquestPosted 8/25/2013 11:10:45 PM
Wii U isn't going to be getting near as much third party support, it's media features are lacking, it doesn't have the party appeal of the Wii, Nintendo's marketing efforts are so far behind the effort they put into the Wii, and the multiplayer community doesn't exist.

To make matters worse, most of Nintendo's upcoming games are either the same mascot franchises they've been using for years or minigame compilations only made as a tutorial for the system's features. They have X, but their first party offerings don't have near enough unique titles like that. And this is in spite of the fact Nintendo had a headstart on their competition.

So with Nintendo's first party efforts being lazy and too familiar and third parties focusing on XB1 and PS4, what reason is there to pick up a Wii U this holiday season?
#2uberking422Posted 8/25/2013 11:12:49 PM
Because there's even less worth owning for the other two systems that isn't on a system you already own.
#3BloodychessPosted 8/25/2013 11:14:06 PM
There's really not much reason for me to buy the other consoles, that's what my situation is like right now. I'll never buy another Microsoft console again and the pay wall for online MP is a deal breaker to me right now because nothing from the launch line up looks enticing. I'd rather sit on my PS3, which will be getting next gen ports with free online.

Oh, and 1st Party titles. But apparently that's a bad thing to some people on this board.
---
Not changing this sig until EA issues an apology for Madden 13
#4Numbuh100Posted 8/25/2013 11:14:28 PM
What point is there wasting $500 on an Xbox One?
---
Waiting for: Pokemon X and Y, Monolith Soft's X, Smash Bros. 4, Mario Kart 8, Watch Dogs, Dark Souls 2
#5snae99Posted 8/25/2013 11:14:51 PM
Well for me I already own a good gaming PC so all my third party needs will be fulfilled there. Nintendo games are the only thing I can't play on my PC so that's why I would buy a Wii U (already own one).
---
Currently playing: Dragon Age: Origins and Dynasty Warriors 8
GOTY so far: Fire Emblem Awakening
#6JoeHummerPosted 8/25/2013 11:15:29 PM
But even the current systems have games that the Wii U was shafted. When the same thing is happening with the next generation of consoles, it shows third parties don't have too much faith in Nintendo.

And that shows that while the rival consoles will have a slow start, they will gain incredible ground and large libraries while the Wii U will sit around waiting for the next Smash or Zelda game.
#7AhnoldDoodPosted 8/25/2013 11:17:04 PM
JohnConquest posted...
1. Wii U isn't going to be getting near as much third party support, 2. it's media features are lacking, 3. it doesn't have the party appeal of the Wii, Nintendo's marketing efforts are so far behind the effort they put into the Wii, and 4. the multiplayer community doesn't exist.

5. To make matters worse, most of Nintendo's upcoming games are either the same mascot franchises they've been using for years or 6. minigame compilations only made as a tutorial for the system's features. They have X, but their first party offerings don't have near enough unique titles like that. And this is in spite of the fact Nintendo had a headstart on their competition.

So with Nintendo's first party efforts being lazy and too familiar and third parties focusing on XB1 and PS4, what reason is there to pick up a Wii U this holiday season?

1. And I should care, why? At least it has EXCLUSIVES.

2. Because I totally want my game console to be a cable box! That I'll need a cable box for!

3. Bullcrap.

4. What does that even mean?

5. Yup! I mean, look at the PS4 and XO with its Resistance 4, Infamous 3, FFXV, KH3, Halo 5, Call of Duty... 10?...

6. Oh I see, this post was original made in early 2012 and you reposted it for no damn reason.
#8JohnConquest(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 11:17:49 PM
Bloodychess posted...
There's really not much reason for me to buy the other consoles, that's what my situation is like right now. I'll never buy another Microsoft console again and the pay wall for online MP is a deal breaker to me right now because nothing from the launch line up looks enticing. I'd rather sit on my PS3, which will be getting next gen ports with free online.

Oh, and 1st Party titles. But apparently that's a bad thing to some people on this board.

But Nintendo's first party offerings have barely shown any growth. They only have a few new IPs in the coming months and even titles like Smash aren't coming til next year.
#9quickposterPosted 8/25/2013 11:21:28 PM
I am now taking anyone who says X1 will stand against Wii U with a pinch of salt. Why? An article appears on X1 and suddenly the truth comes out. Every single person the author knows isn't buying one. I've already said where every single person I know stands (hint: not buying). And many many comments said the same thing.

X1 will be the biggest flop since Dreamcast and will get the plug pulled on it faster than an ostrich can run 100m race. The internet pretends X1 is perfectly fine but the facts are out. MS have given up any rights they had of bring competitive. Its game over already. Pretend otherwise but that kind of tactic doesn't get ignored in the real world because they are temporarily removing it. People aren't stupid. MS have lost.

Not trolling. Pretty much everybody said the same thing. Wii U will beat X1. Deal with it.
#10JohnConquest(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2013 11:23:48 PM
AhnoldDood posted...
JohnConquest posted...
1. Wii U isn't going to be getting near as much third party support, 2. it's media features are lacking, 3. it doesn't have the party appeal of the Wii, Nintendo's marketing efforts are so far behind the effort they put into the Wii, and 4. the multiplayer community doesn't exist.

5. To make matters worse, most of Nintendo's upcoming games are either the same mascot franchises they've been using for years or 6. minigame compilations only made as a tutorial for the system's features. They have X, but their first party offerings don't have near enough unique titles like that. And this is in spite of the fact Nintendo had a headstart on their competition.

1. And I should care, why? At least it has EXCLUSIVES.

2. Because I totally want my game console to be a cable box! That I'll need a cable box for!

3. Bullcrap.

4. What does that even mean?

5. Yup! I mean, look at the PS4 and XO with its Resistance 4, Infamous 3, FFXV, KH3, Halo 5, Call of Duty... 10?...

6. Oh I see, this post was original made in early 2012 and you reposted it for no damn reason.

Here's the problem: Sony and Microsoft have their expected first party games. But they also growing third party support to go along with that. Wii U doesn't. Why would you only buy a Wii U to play Nintendo games. Wouldn't you want to a system for the full package? Third party support also allows the system to sell more. That helps the system get even more games in the future and for the online community to expand.

But it isn't happening because Nintendo has barely even supported the system themselves. They didn't even have a Zelda or Smash game out when the system launched.