I think wii u should focus on 720p, 60fps, and 4x AA at this point.

#21DiscostewSMPosted 8/26/2013 11:38:30 AM
SlimeSwayze posted...
DiscostewSM posted...
As resolution increases,the need for AA decreases.

This is true. On my computer I can sometimes get certain games to run in 1440p if I turn off all AA. Once the resolution is that high it is barely noticeable whether it is on or off, so it's more than worth the performance boost of disabling it. But on my computer I have a 27" screen. On consoles, I can see AA still being necessary on a 1080p game simply because so many people play on large HDTVs. Ever since I moved to a 50" TV, I notice aliasing issues a lot more than I used to.

Yes, you are correct that on large TVs, the aliasing is more noticeable. There will come a time where resolution will continue to increase, but the size of TVs will stay limited (probably starting now), only because there won't be room for them in the average room. :P
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#22aether17Posted 8/26/2013 11:43:22 AM
If the eDRAM is used correctly, I believe documents suggested that it was capable of rendering in 720p w/ 4x MSAA, or in 1080p in a single pass. I think either way is good, as we see Smash Bros. is in 1080p, though there is aliasing (though aliasing in 1080p on a 1080p TV wont be as bad as 720p). Besides, I would somewhat prefer native 1080p w/ no AA than 720p w/ 4x MSAA if given the optiion since it will look sharper and clearer. Hopefully Nintendo can improve several of their 720p/60fps games like MK8. SM3DW looks like it has some FXAA, but MK8 lacks any type of aliasing. Sure it's a fast moving game but it wouldn't hurt cleaning out those jagged lines!
---
Lol, no.
#23SlimeSwayzePosted 8/26/2013 11:49:22 AM
DiscostewSM posted...
SlimeSwayze posted...
DiscostewSM posted...
As resolution increases,the need for AA decreases.

This is true. On my computer I can sometimes get certain games to run in 1440p if I turn off all AA. Once the resolution is that high it is barely noticeable whether it is on or off, so it's more than worth the performance boost of disabling it. But on my computer I have a 27" screen. On consoles, I can see AA still being necessary on a 1080p game simply because so many people play on large HDTVs. Ever since I moved to a 50" TV, I notice aliasing issues a lot more than I used to.

Yes, you are correct that on large TVs, the aliasing is more noticeable. There will come a time where resolution will continue to increase, but the size of TVs will stay limited (probably starting now), only because there won't be room for them in the average room. :P

Yeah, 50" is pretty much where I max out. Most games still look fine, but a few (Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time comes to mind, and I think it runs in 720p) are bad enough that it really becomes a distraction. I know some people don't think AA is a big deal, but for me anything that distracts me or breaks the immersion is a very bad thing, and games that run in lower resolutions and have aliasing issues can be an almost constant distraction. If a game runs in native 1080p I think it will be fine to skimp on AA if it helps improve framerates, but for anything less I still want to see some quality AA.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#24KinthurPosted 8/26/2013 12:12:49 PM
Quite frankly, I don't even care about AA. Just give me 60fps.
#25jrb363Posted 8/26/2013 2:05:03 PM
Kinthur posted...
Quite frankly, I don't even care about AA. Just give me 60fps.

Add rock solid gameplay and consider it sold!
---
Systems owned: Genesis, SNES, TG-16, PSX, PS2, Gamecube, Dreamcast, 360, Wii, PS3, GB, GameGear, GB pocket, GBA, GBA SP, Virtua Boy, Neo-Geo Color, PSP, DS, 3DS
#26aether17Posted 8/26/2013 2:32:22 PM
Asuir posted...
Jaggies. **** the jaggies. Jaggies should have been gone last generation.

Most developers unfortunately cared more about fancy visual effects over cleaning up the IQ last gen, and that probably won't go away this gen. AA costs power, and they'll prefer pretty effects over AA anyday, we'll probably be sticking with post-process AA for now (which is what a lot of games now have, which doesn't really do much to help be rid of jaggies.)
---
Lol, no.