Haven't owned a Nintendo console since the old fat gray Game Boy...

#1wstfldPosted 8/26/2013 7:52:43 PM
I went Sega after my NES. My next handheld was a PSP Go, now a Vita. I think I'd like to catch up with the last 20 years of Nintendo gaming, but I have no idea what the best way to do that would be. I've touched base over the years, but have really had no contact with the Nintendo gaming world (I still haven't seen a Game Cube in the wild).

What I have played:
SMW
Link to the Past
Donkey Kong Country
Super Metroid
Mario Kart
Super Mario 64
LOZ OOT
Goldeneye
Mario Kart 64
Smash Bros.
SMG
SMG2

Obviously not having a Nintendo console limits your access to their games. I'm thinking a 3DS is my best option here. Any advice?
---
Last Played: Velocity Ultra (8/10)
Now Playing: NCAA Football 2014, StarCraft 2, KZM Beta, Civ V, Rayman Origins, Guacamelee El Diablo's Domain
#2b1gt0nePosted 8/26/2013 7:57:00 PM
sounds like you've been living under the proverbial rock, 3DS and WiiU are both fantastic. Don't listen to the haters, they're just closet fans.
#3DiscostewSMPosted 8/26/2013 8:01:20 PM
b1gt0ne posted...
sounds like you've been living under the proverbial rock, 3DS and WiiU are both fantastic. Don't listen to the haters, they're just closet fans.

3DS is a rock-solid handheld (but likely won't survive bomb blasts like the brick known as the original Gameboy could). The Wii U, while great, still has a lot of ground to cover.

Swig #6. Are ya drunk yet?
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#4SyCo_VeNoMPosted 8/26/2013 8:05:43 PM
DiscostewSM posted...
b1gt0ne posted...

3DS is a rock-solid handheld (but likely won't survive bomb blasts like the brick known as the original Gameboy could). The Wii U, while great, still has a lot of ground to cover.

only weakness in the GB was the screen and how it would lose lines like mad
GB pocket sorted most those issues though
#5HayashiTakaraPosted 8/26/2013 8:17:37 PM
DiscostewSM posted...
b1gt0ne posted...

The DS did, a soldier had a DS in Afghanistan and it looked like it got obliterated, but it still turned on and can run games. The customer service office at NoA has it on display.
#6SyCo_VeNoMPosted 8/26/2013 8:21:29 PM
HayashiTakara posted...
DiscostewSM posted...
b1gt0ne posted...

The DS did, a soldier had a DS in Afghanistan and it looked like it got obliterated, but it still turned on and can run games. The customer service office at NoA has it on display.

well only issues with the DS and 3ds I find are the hinges. Remember 8 years ago at work when I was playing a game, and dropped it. Thing hit the top corner and the hinge shattered on it. Other then the hinge the thing worked fine so I ordered it a Ninteudo DS shell from china and put it in, and the sucker still works till today.
Outside the hinge the DS, and 3ds are pretty damn rock solid
#7wstfld(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2013 6:35:08 AM
This was not helpful.
---
Last Played: Velocity Ultra (8/10)
Now Playing: NCAA Football 2014, StarCraft 2, KZM Beta, Civ V, Rayman Origins, Guacamelee El Diablo's Domain
#8BeanBeanKingdomPosted 8/27/2013 6:36:45 AM
wstfld posted...
This was not helpful.

The Wii U board never is, TC. I suggest you remake this topic on the 3DS board.
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
#9EndgamePosted 8/27/2013 6:41:01 AM
Gamecube was the last great console, get one of those

don't touch Wii (no need for you to, you already played SMG, the only truly great game it had to offer), Wii U, or 3DS
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#10Rasputin77Posted 8/27/2013 6:41:13 AM
TC, get the 3DS. Fantastic system, tons of games - good times. You'll enjoy it. Now is NOT the time for you to jump back into a Nintendo home console.

b1gt0ne posted...

Ugh. When you have to end your opinion with "... but don't listen to anyone with a different opinion than mine!", you know something is wrong.
---
I visit the Wii U board as a reminder to purchase and enthusiastically use prophylactics.