UK Chart: The Wonderful 101 Debuts Outside Top 20, Swoops In At 22

#11mcsmellingtonPosted 8/27/2013 4:33:05 AM
DeathSoul2000 posted...
The_Shadow_Link posted...
DeathSoul2000 posted...
a colorful kids game flops in a country dominated by tasteless cod and fifa players, what a surprise.

Disney Infinity opened in at third place. I don't know what your on about.

At least it opened better than Planes did.

(Pikmin 3 has also dropped out of the top 40)

That's because it's Disney. You'd be mental to think a Disney product WOULDN'T be a hit anywhere.

I don't think EPIC Mickey 2 did particularly well, did it?
---
GT: McPoo Friend Code: 0146-9590-6349
PSN/NNID: McSmellington
#12Tortus2Posted 8/27/2013 4:44:10 AM
Considering the kind of games we do usually get in our top charts; Just Dance, Fifa, Call of Duty, etc, and considering this is a niche title, No. 22 isn't bad at all.

That said, even if it was complete rock bottom in the charts, that won't stop me from picking it up.
---
3DS FC: 1075 - 0819 - 0953; NNID - Sir_Eef
Pokemon White Version 2 FC - 2838 7984 6351
#13bezlaskezPosted 8/27/2013 4:56:09 AM
Also W101 isn't a kids game, really, is it.

Seeing as IGN found it too hard because of all the straight lines.
#14atma6Posted 8/27/2013 5:09:24 AM
22 seems like a very high place, so I don't know what people are attacking/defending about. The userbase for the WiiU is so low, I would be surprised if it was possible to crack into the top echelon of that list even with every UK Wii U owner buying one. And as many have said, it's a hardcore niche game that embodies Platinum's craziness.
---
Mistranslations for the Modern Gamer
http://mistranslationformg.blogspot.com/
#15nonexistingheroPosted 8/27/2013 6:38:59 AM
New Link posted...
Considering the fact that Europe is Nintendo's weakest market and the install base is tiny there, that's actually not that bad.

They aren't showing any adds though. Only for Nintendo's own 1st party games.

Like I've said many times before, Nintendo is making the game bomb on purpose.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#16mikebrand83Posted 8/27/2013 7:03:02 AM
"But looking at the bigger sales picture, the super-charged super hero game was released August 23, just two days before the UK chart was drawn up"
http://mynintendonews.com/2013/08/27/uk-chart-the-wonderful-101-debuts-outside-top-20-swoops-in-at-22/

"TOP 40 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE (ALL PRICES), WEEK ENDING 24 August 2013"
http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110015
#17thelastgogetaPosted 8/27/2013 7:11:05 AM
mikebrand83 posted...
"But looking at the bigger sales picture, the super-charged super hero game was released August 23, just two days before the UK chart was drawn up"
http://mynintendonews.com/2013/08/27/uk-chart-the-wonderful-101-debuts-outside-top-20-swoops-in-at-22/

"TOP 40 ENTERTAINMENT SOFTWARE (ALL PRICES), WEEK ENDING 24 August 2013"
http://www.chart-track.co.uk/index.jsp?c=p/software/uk/latest/index_test.jsp&ct=110015

Oi, don't use common sense.
Next thing you know, people will start look at the sales of Wonderful 101 in Japan and remember that it had less days, only 30K copies printed and a small install base instead of blaming Nintendo and/or the country in question.
---
Get, Play The Undersold Triforce: Z+W, NMH, Okami!
PM of the SSR Board + Ninja of SATBK/SATFS forever
#18gnomelord255Posted 8/27/2013 7:15:35 AM
Europe and Japan had a deal on the eShop, where buying Pikmin 3 got you a 30% coupon for Wonderful 101.

I think people might have taken advantage of that.
#19MilesTeg420Posted 8/27/2013 7:36:51 AM
nonexistinghero posted...
New Link posted...
Considering the fact that Europe is Nintendo's weakest market and the install base is tiny there, that's actually not that bad.

They aren't showing any adds though. Only for Nintendo's own 1st party games.

Like I've said many times before, Nintendo is making the game bomb on purpose.

Actually I can't think of anything that doesn't support that argument.

They released in Japan at the end of a holiday week or something which apparently is a very slow time.

In EU the game was probably bombing anyway but no advertisement will only increase that.

In NA it's going head to head with GTAV and releasing a month earlier everywhere else.

Then there's the story that originally the game was supposed to include Nintendo characters which is probably where the bad blood comes from.

Although it doesn't seem very smart to actively sabotage a game for your own console that you funded.
#20EoinPosted 8/27/2013 7:38:31 AM
atma6 posted...
22 seems like a very high place, so I don't know what people are attacking/defending about.

22 wouldn't be a bad place for Wonderful 101 to be in, perhaps, if it released around Christmas. In August, it's fairly bad - it's an extremely sluggish time for game sales and probably only the top 10 (or fewer) are actually selling in substantial quantities. Based on the past few weeks, 22nd place would mean maybe a little bit more than 2,000 copies sold across the UK.

atma6 posted...
The userbase for the WiiU is so low, I would be surprised if it was possible to crack into the top echelon of that list even with every UK Wii U owner buying one.

Pikmin 3 did it. It didn't do spectacularly or anything, but it got a lot higher than 22nd. Estimates of UK sales of hardware are a little difficult, but there is no doubt that if every single Wii U owner there bought any game, it would top the charts in August (by a very long way).

mikebrand83 posted...

While this is true, it's also not going to impact things massively. Across the UK, the majority of a game's sales are on Friday - it's the day new games get released, it's the day before the weekend, for many people it's the day after payday, and of course anyone who has pre-ordered it will be counted as a sale on that day. Notice that Saint's Row IV, Splinter Cell and Disney Infinity had no problems topping the charts, despite appearing on the same day as The Wonderful 101. The fact that this chart only counts two days really doesn't mean much - next week, across seven whole days of sales, it almost certainly is not going to be any higher.