UK Chart: The Wonderful 101 Debuts Outside Top 20, Swoops In At 22

#31EoinPosted 8/27/2013 8:23:30 AM(edited)
cavebear56 posted...
The only thing I can reason, without more information, is Nintendo are really aiming at this "word of mouth" style advertising.

I suspect that they've simply over-estimated the effect of Nintendo Direct, thinking that by itself it would have most of the same effect as a normal advertising campaign, which they therefore didn't really need to bother with.

mikebrand83 posted...
Two big name, much anticipated sequels to multi-million selling franchises, and a Disney title with $100 million invested into development alone (never mind how many countless millions more poured into advertising to make sure of returns for that investment).

... Yeah, somehow I don't think that's a situation you can simply compare on face value.

I'm not comparing at face value. I never suggested that The Wonderful 101 should be matching the kind of sales those games are going to rack up. I'm simply pointing out that the fact that the chart only covers two days isn't important, since a very large majority of a game's sales over its first week will happen in the first two days anyway. This is illustrated by games which have had no bother reaching the top of the chart despite only selling for two days. If you think I'm directly comparing them, then you've misunderstood my post.
#32nonexistingheroPosted 8/27/2013 8:27:02 AM(edited)
I'm not saying they really are doing that. All I know is that Nintendo isn't marketing the game nearly as much as they should. Platinum's games are usually roughly 10 million $ to make. TW101's budget is confirmed to be roughly 1.5 times the budget they spent on Bayonetta... so most likely around $15 million. There's just no way it's going to profit with Nintendo shoving their own titles in front of TW101 with marketing.

The Wii U's main problem right now is that it's not selling because of the lack of games. Pikmin 3 simply isn't a system seller. Nintendo needs to show people that there's a ton of good games on the Wii U to get (already out till the end of the year). Now people will be like... so theres Pikmin 3 and Mario games... what else? Since they won't know about TW101.

And yeah, first 2 day sales or a whole week... it doesn't matter much for most games. The sales of the first 2 days are usually much higher than the next 5 days put together.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#33ChokusetsuPosted 8/27/2013 8:31:55 AM
If this was Shueisha, Iwata would tell Kamiya to finish his story in 1 month because of very bad ranking.
---
De arimasu
#34Nice_Kirbyfan9Posted 8/27/2013 8:32:07 AM
Is it too much to expect that this board would just accept that the game is selling poorly? I guess we have to deal with the usual wii u fanboy denial, reassurance, and spin.
---
If you disagree with the views expressed in this post, feel free to put me on ignore.
http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17oodar3kvfbjjpg/original.jpg
#35wolf_blitzer85Posted 8/27/2013 8:37:44 AM
DeathSoul2000 posted...
a colorful kids game flops in a country dominated by tasteless cod and fifa players, what a surprise.

then why isn't Nintendo making more cod games?
why isn't Nintendo making more fifa games?

There is definitely something to be said about going against the grain/bucking the trend. Nintendo needs to CONFORM and bring out the games that players WANT.
---
By simply upgrading to Linux /BSD, you can prevent any govt from spying on your Internet usage. Make the great leap to democracy TODAY. Make the NSA mad.
#36DeathSoul2000Posted 8/27/2013 8:39:49 AM
wolf_blitzer85 posted...
DeathSoul2000 posted...
a colorful kids game flops in a country dominated by tasteless cod and fifa players, what a surprise.

then why isn't Nintendo making more cod games?
why isn't Nintendo making more fifa games?

There is definitely something to be said about going against the grain/bucking the trend. Nintendo needs to CONFORM and bring out the games that players WANT.

I never said Nintendo needs to make "mature" games, that implies I was talking about W101 as if it were a worldwide flop. I simply said UK gamers have crap taste, big difference.
#37wolf_blitzer85Posted 8/27/2013 8:41:16 AM
DeathSoul2000 posted...
I never said Nintendo needs to make "mature" games, that implies I was talking about W101 as if it were a worldwide flop. I simply said UK gamers have crap taste, big difference.

NO.
Japan and U.S. gamers have crap taste. Look at the Top 20 charts in both Japan and the U.S.
---
By simply upgrading to Linux /BSD, you can prevent any govt from spying on your Internet usage. Make the great leap to democracy TODAY. Make the NSA mad.
#38DeathSoul2000Posted 8/27/2013 8:42:25 AM
wolf_blitzer85 posted...
DeathSoul2000 posted...

NO.
Japan and U.S. gamers have crap taste. Look at the Top 20 charts in both Japan and the U.S.

No, brits have crap taste. Get over it and accept it.
#39Fenrir-JuubiPosted 8/27/2013 9:02:09 AM
Well, Wii U is doomed to fail . All hope is lost. Nintendo will have to launch a new and powerful console that in the end will not bring third-parties anyway(because they don't believe is going to sell anyway) and Nintendo will then just launch games for portables, while Super Mario Galaxy 3 is made for PS4.

Now, while we discuss another the failure to sell of another cult classic by Platinum Games, I will play Shenmue 2. Good evening(I am outside of USA).

PS:No, Nintendo isn't doomed. YET. But again, the same can said of Sony and Microsoft.
#40WhiteKilla666Posted 8/27/2013 6:40:29 PM
Sad that Pikmin 3 fell off so fast, Splinter Cell Wii U was the only version not in the top 20, and W101 failed. Tough times :/
---
*~If you love HPL and have accepted him as your lord and savior and are not afraid to show it make this your signature~*