Japan is truly the last bastion for video games

#1Marcster1994Posted 8/27/2013 6:18:19 PM
When actual honest-to-goodness games like The Killer is Dead, Wonderful 101, and Dragon's Crown get blasted because "they're too hard!" and "They're sexist!"

Meanwhile, games like Bioshock Infinite and Gone Home get perfect scores because "They're art!", "They're progressive!" and can be beaten without any form of effort.
---
3DS FC: 4725-7947-0440 ~ NNID: MarcsterS
PSN: Marcster1994 ~ Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/EnglishLanguage/
#2Fisto81Posted 8/27/2013 6:21:18 PM
There is a clear anti Japanese bias in the western gaming media.
---
If you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and aren't ashamed to show it, put this as your signature.
#3thefabregas22Posted 8/27/2013 6:21:59 PM
Haven't played killer is dead nor have I played dragons crown.... yet.

I do agree with you on w101.

And with bioshock infinite, that game was really nothing special when you get down to a gameplay perspective. (Not trying to say I don't enjoy games with a good story though)

Haven't played gone home yet either but I plan to.
---
NNid: AdmiralClassy
Psn: AdmiralClassy
#4lordofthenlpplePosted 8/27/2013 6:32:54 PM(edited)
Japanese wont buy anything unless its made by Japanese. No one has been able to break open the Japan market. Some of these low budget games dont help either. They need to keep making bug budget titles.

I didnt like the bioshock story or the gameplay. Japanese make terrible stories too. The gameplay even if good isnt enough to carry the titles.
---
Liu Ye and Anais Martanehttp://english.cri.cn/mmsource/images/2009/07/06/4220xtylnliuye4.jpg
#5shoggothsnackPosted 8/27/2013 6:47:01 PM
I agree. It's like the west has something against teenage protagonists with feathered hair and bare midriffs. Not nearly enough prepubescents in dumb American games either.
#61shadetail1Posted 8/27/2013 6:49:46 PM
lordofthenlpple posted...
Japanese wont buy anything unless its made by Japanese.

The iPhone is the #1 smart phone in Japan, just to name one counter-example. So yes, they'll buy foreign goods. You just have to know the audience and advertise properly, something that a lot of video game developers simply don't understand.
---
Religion is like spaghetti: either stiff and fragile, or wet and limp.
#7Emerald_MeliosPosted 8/27/2013 6:51:17 PM
Japan appreciates the true value of stylized art. They free us from the sea of brown. They're not afraid cuteness either.
#8Jx1010Posted 8/27/2013 7:38:12 PM
Fisto81 posted...
There is a clear anti Japanese bias in the western gaming media.
#9EndgamePosted 8/27/2013 7:41:35 PM
no, no they are not

the worst Japan has to offer is far worse than the west's worst offerings

this goes for video games, animation, and ESPECIALLY live action

Nintendo used to be the best, yes, but now they are one of the very worst, and that really goes against your narrative that Japan is somehow the last hope for quality when their former best is now the villain here
---
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will fight to the death for my right to fight you to the death. -Stephen Colbert
#10gnomelord255Posted 8/27/2013 7:44:14 PM
Endgame posted...
no, no they are not

the worst Japan has to offer is far worse than the west's worst offerings

this goes for video games, animation, and ESPECIALLY live action

Nintendo used to be the best, yes, but now they are one of the very worst, and that really goes against your narrative that Japan is somehow the last hope for quality when their former best is now the villain here

Agreed. Japan at it's worst is way below where America and Europe's worst is at. There's a reason Nintendo isn't allowing indie Japanese devs on the Wii U or 3DS :/