Super Mario Bros. 3 vs. Super Mario World

#41GloryChaosPosted 8/31/2013 10:39:50 AM
Watt64 posted...
Newave posted...
SMB3 is easily the best.

World remains the worst of the 2D Marios.

My brain just exploded. You're just trying to get a reaction, right?

I can see where he's coming from. Somebody who despises the NSMB games probably wouldn't like World that much since they're very much alike (physics aside).

Personally, I prefer World.
---
Brawl FC - 1332 8069 6690
http://i.imgur.com/OZ9aS.png
#42toadfan64Posted 8/31/2013 10:53:08 AM
Both are in my top 10 games of all time, but 3 edges it out a little. Maybe if I replay them it'll be different.
---
Brawl FC - 5412-9555-6314
Also known as Toadfan64
#43Watt64Posted 8/31/2013 10:57:08 AM
GloryChaos posted...
Watt64 posted...
Newave posted...
SMB3 is easily the best.

World remains the worst of the 2D Marios.

My brain just exploded. You're just trying to get a reaction, right?

I can see where he's coming from. Somebody who despises the NSMB games probably wouldn't like World that much since they're very much alike (physics aside).

Personally, I prefer World.

The thing is is that the NSMB games used a lot of Worlds things, like Yoshi, secret exits, storing items, Porcu-Puffers, Boo Circles, Fishbones, the idea of a switch palace (in NSMBW).

But SMW feels quite different than those games.
---
"So, um, I really want to help. I'll be good, really!"
#44LaManoNeraIIPosted 8/31/2013 10:57:25 AM
TalentedM posted...
World is just a better 3....

THIS!

Super Mario World is just a natural progression from Mario Bros 3. It takes the best ideas and mechanics and brings them into the next-gen to take advantage of more powerful hardware. That's why SNES had so many killer titles. Developers used what they learned and made it better instead of just abandoning it to chase fads.
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009
#45MrSpacelySlatePosted 8/31/2013 11:27:28 AM
Newave posted...
I count World in the same category as the spinoffs, like Mario's Missing, and the sequels to Land, like 6 Golden Coins and the Wario games.
I simply can't stand any of them.

To be brutally honest the only non-main-series Mario related game I like is Mario Paint because it was genuinely awesome, the Mario parts of it were redundant, it was simply brilliant in its own right.

I can't stand the Kart, Smash, Golf, Tennis, Party etc. games. At best I can play Double Dash!! multiplayer if it's with people I REALLY enjoy the company of.
But if they want to play any Mario Party, I'll leave, swiftly.

The original Super Mario Land is amazing tho, it was one of the first games I got for Game Boy back in the day and I still play it regularly, usually several times every day because I have an original Game Boy with it in my bathroom at all times. :)

Wow. You have extremely bad tastes.
#46no1oblivionfanPosted 8/31/2013 11:32:45 AM

Only because I hated the cape.
---
Steam: An_Orang3e
GT: DanDan4000
#47NewavePosted 9/2/2013 8:33:27 AM
Watt64 posted...
Uh... SMW is not a spinoff.

I probably could've worded that better. English isn't my native language so sometimes things can get lost in translation.

I basically meant I hold World in the same regard as those universally hated spinoffs, I feel they share the same level of quality.
World has more content, I'm not arguing that, but I don't like any of it so more doesn't make it better for me.

Just a couple of examples why I hate World so much; the cape and knocking koopas out of their shell.

Those two things were already well established before World, there was absolutely no good reason to change either of them, they added literally nothing new to the mix.

We already had the leaf that gave you a tail and ears to fly with, which was pretty original, fun, creative, unique and iconic to the franchise, so downgrading that to a generic cape like Mario's pretending to be Bartman from Bart Vs. The World or something was not a welcome change.
At least not for me.

Koopas were knocked so they retracted into their shells before World, which made sense as that's what turtles do in real life when they get attacked, so changing that to having them get knocked out as if you were watching a warner bros. cartoon instead flipped the rules upside down and basically gave the old beloved games and their well established and iconic set of rules the middle finger.
If it had been a warner bros. game rather than a mario game I would've found it perfectly in place, but in a mario game it didn't fit at all.
Regardless if one liked it or not it was still out of place, and it made no sense to suddenly change it like that.

In contrast, I loved the Bombshell Koopas in Land on Game Boy, they made for an interesting gameplay mechanic and were a welcome new addition to the franchise that didn't change how anything already established worked.
It was a new place with new things, the old were still intact, just not present here, which was perfectly fine and makes perfect sense because that's how real life works, different places have different variations of the same basic things.
There are birds, spiders and even people that look, sound and act very different in different parts of the real world, so having similar but not identical things in Land made perfect sense and made for new experiences, not just literally the same experiences as before with utterly pointless visual downgrades like the changes in World.

There's a lot more stuff I really hate in World but I don't feel like making a long hate speech, the game's not worth the time and I'm guessing no one wants to sit and read about every single thing I hate in World as much as I don't want to sit and read about what people hate in Bros. 3.

That being said, I wish they would use Bombshell Koopas in more games.

MrSpacelySlate posted...

You saying I have extremely bad tastes means as much to me as if I said the exact same thing to you.

See how that gets everyone nowhere and is thus better left unsaid?
---
I have: NES, GB(2), GBA(3), PSX(5), DC, PS2, PSP(2), GC(2), Wii, XB(2), XB360
I want: GBP, GBL, GBC, SNES, MD, MCD, 32X, SS, PS3, PSV, PS4
#48MechaKirby(Topic Creator)Posted 9/3/2013 6:21:51 AM
Bump
---
GTag/PSN: MechaknightX [][] Vesperia Translation progress: Ehmead Hill
#49DarkLink978Posted 9/4/2013 12:37:08 PM
3 had better stage design and music, World was too short and too easy compared to 3, but that's just my opinion. World had a cooler final boss though.
---
FF: VI > VII > IV > IX > V > X > VIII > III > I > XII > II
LoZ: LttP > OoT > MM > TP > WW > LA > II > I
#50GusMungerPosted 9/7/2013 2:10:30 PM
SMB3, mainly for the memories, SMW is a close second best, asfaras 2D Marios are concerned.
---
"It's a shame your console of choice doesn't have games that are more entertaining than bothering strangers on the internet."